Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Towbar fitting guide

Views : 26529

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2016, 17:29   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The Volvo loom and software also switches off the rear fog lights when a trailer is fitted and only switches on the trailer fog lights - this is really important if your can is clean since all you will see Is the red reflection of the fog lights in the mirror

You can fit your own Volvo loom and just take it to the dealer to load the software, IIRC someone said it was £35 for the software, plus that won't invalidate the warranty and avoids potential issues with CANBus
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 22:17   #12
rkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthv50 View Post
I think you'll find that refitting that bumper protection shield is impossible and as stated in the guide the tow bar is doing the same job anyway. The fitting guide that came with the tow bar said to do it like that.

Regarding the electrics, the kit that comes with it will not have the stability control, my caravan doesn't have it anyway, nor will it have the ability to disable to rear parking sensors, but I can do that with a press of a button on the dash. I am quite happy to press that button to save myself several hundreds of pounds by not going the volvo route.
If you cannot fit the collision protection member you have a very poorly made kit. I can assure you (I have fitted the Volvo towbar) that fitting the collision member is not impossible as the Volvo kit requires you to refit the protection - this ensures the fitment meets the relevant Type Approval for the car. See link for the official Volvo fitting instructions
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...-429813-6/2014
Relying on your tow bar in place of the correct collision protection will invalidate your insurance as it will not meet the manufacturers vehicle type approval.
Regarding the costs you assume you have saved - the Volvo wiring kit plus TSA plus software download came to just over £100. How much has yours cost you? And it will not switch off your car rear fog lamp, and the car stabilty control of your car (not your caravan) will not be working correctly. Are you still sure you do not want to spend the extra for you and your families safety? How much will you lose if your insurance fails to pay out because you have fitted a non approved accessory?

Last edited by rkennedy; Feb 12th, 2016 at 22:22.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkennedy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 15:12   #13
eckyhen

Thumbs up V60 towbar

Thanks for the very useful post re XC60 towbar. I've just fitted one to my V60 and more or less identical. Just a couple of points if anyone else thinking of DIY.
I would recommend buying the dedicated wiring kit from Volvo. £88 which is cheaper than many I've seen on ebay and amazon. This includes the by-pass relay and everything just plugs in so no need for splicing in to the loom. The only tricky bit is the orange wire which is supposed to fit in to the fuse box. I had to whack it with a screwdriver and hammer which left it fairly mangled (patience not being one of my virtues). Nevertheless, it works and I suppose that's all that matters.
Bosal detachable towbar from PF Jones. A quality piece of kit, £170, not the cheapest but much cheaper than my local Volvo dealer who wanted £526 + another £300 for fitting!
eckyhen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eckyhen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 15:54   #14
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

The Rear Crash bar as you point out does not fit straight away, but it does easily fit when you use the spacers (thick washers) supplied with the towbar fittings kit (nuts and bolts bag).
noodle1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 06:55   #15
somersetmale

Thumbs up New Tow Bar Fitting

Interesting reading all the above blogs. Please can you guys out there help as I am considering fitting a tow bar to my 2012 XC60, but first want to check out all the issues. Reading through the threads, I wonder whether to be able to refit the safety protection that it has to be a genuine Volvo tow bar or whether a Witter would suffice as I see on one site they are currently reduced to less than £200?
Secondly, I got my good lady to ask at the Volvo dealership for prices for a wiring harness and the software upgrade. She came home with a printout with four items shown totalling over £200. I have tracked down three of the items, 13 pin plug, control unit and cable harness, but the fourth, part number v31346526 says n/stock cable harness @ £74 + VAT. Is this another piece of kit I need? The other cable harness part is v31346554. I have visited http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...3%20AWD/Manual and this lists the three parts as above.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
somersetmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 07:42   #16
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

Hi, I have fitted the witter tow bar and yes the crash bar refits over the top back where it came off. I used a dedicated 13-pin kit from Right Connections and there's no programming needed. You can buy the kit direct from them or via pfjones. Cheaper than £200. Regards - Mark
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 07:49   #17
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

There is a Volvo/Thule genuine tow bar on eBay (fixed swan) for £40 if you didn't need a flange plate.
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 21:20   #18
somersetmale

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle1066 View Post
There is a Volvo/Thule genuine tow bar on eBay (fixed swan) for £40 if you didn't need a flange plate.
Thanks Mark for both your posts.
I need to have a removable hitch as I have park assist and I understand that if I have a fixed one, this will trigger the sensors.
I ain't loaded, but would be happy if I can save a chunk of the £750 my local Volvo dealer would charge.
I don't know whether I need a flange plate. This is all new to me. Never owned a car with a towbar in 40+ years, so the parts language is new.
The Following User Says Thank You to somersetmale For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 17:01   #19
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

I have a fixed towball with a bike rack bracket and stabiliser bracket and nothing sets off the parking sensors on mine.
Removable tow bar on an XC60 is purely for cosmetic purposes.
Hope that helps.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 08:49   #20
somersetmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle1066 View Post
I have a fixed towball with a bike rack bracket and stabiliser bracket and nothing sets off the parking sensors on mine.
Removable tow bar on an XC60 is purely for cosmetic purposes.
Hope that helps.
Hi mark,

Thanks for this. It seems the deeper I delve into this, the more contradictory the info coming out. Kenn