Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Airbox gasket part number?

Views : 1921

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2018, 17:39   #21
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
+1 to above, it just doesnt exist in Vida. I even checked for 2.4i and FL engiones, its just not listed anywhere. Looks to me it was never a "separate part" but I cant get it why its a standalone part on that diagram (tascaparts?).

t5r90210 - good comparison with vacuum, I buy that. However, I must add that when I first noticed I am missing 1 screw at the airbox tray (literally first day I got the car) , I had my concerns if that is "ok". But on closer inspection it seemed that whole unit is sealed tightly anyway because of excessive rubber gasket present on actual FILTER unit, so it looked like it can work no matter if screws are there or not, let alone the extra gasket I didnt even know existed. Makes me really wonder now how come you had a visible side-effects of that gasket missing where me (and I bet a lot of other people) never experienced it.
Still, a major thumbs up for discovering it and taking matters into your own hands! glad you got it sorted.
Will post my observations after I try with mine.
I guess all you can do is try and see what happens!

It's worth noting that it took approx 2 days worth of normal driving.. but with every engine start, the low end torque got stronger and stronger..ECU definitely was adjusting to it.

Its been 14 degrees today, and the car feels almost as rapid as it was yesterday morning at 2 degrees..

I'd be happy to go for a remap at this point. Couldn't do it until that issue was sorted.

Update:
Had a run against a 2017 Corsa VXR (205bhp) today and definitely pulling away from it by 70-80mph.

Previously id have been bogging down at that speed and being overtaken.

Last edited by T5R92011; Nov 28th, 2018 at 19:03.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 19:54   #22
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Well I give this a go on mine when I got home from work.

Turns out I had the original gasket, so yep, it does exist, though it had been fitted twisted and wonky so I doubt it was doing much...

Sorry for potato phone pics.

Original gasket

After I'd put some spongy foam around it

Put back into car, started it up and it felt a bit hesitant on idle, I think the ECU was just adjusting as it felt like it was going to stall itself but recovered and after a few tries found a new idle point and was dead on.

Driving wise, feels exactly the same, could maybe convince myself it was a bit quicker lower down the revs, I only had it out 10 minutes though so will give it a few days to see if the ECU adapts.

Glad I did it regardless though, that old gasket was a mess.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 10:31   #23
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

So this is my version below of sorting out this issue - a bit of window seal self adhesive gasket. Its pretty soft and flat so squished nicely in the airbox and now I can feel the filter sits airtight.

although I cant say I noticed any improvement at all, its defo feels better knowing its there and I should have done it much earlier if I knew - again, many thanks to T5R90210 for the idea of using alternative seal
In my case I can only maybe say it changed the sound a little bit - intake hiss sound is now bit more soft and sounds less like a boost leak and more like a intake woosh. But no other gains here.
Maybe its because I have that snorkel removed and it already takes air differently? T5R - u have snorkel intake in plece or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181129_190258.jpg (196.9 KB, 14 views)
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 11:36   #24
domhart10
Volvo S40

Sounds very interesting, I might have a look at mine and give it a go as well.

LizardOfBodom, what do you mean by removed snorkel peice? is that the thing just off the box?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 12:06   #25
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Sounds very interesting, I might have a look at mine and give it a go as well.

LizardOfBodom, what do you mean by removed snorkel peice? is that the thing just off the box?
No, I meant that plastic intake restrictor on the front of the grille, part #11 on the pic from post no. 4. I have it off since last year, was wondering if that may be different why I dont feel any change comparing to T5R90210, dunno, just wondering out loud
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 12:46   #26
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Maybe its because I have that snorkel removed and it already takes air differently? T5R - u have snorkel intake in plece or not?
Out of interest? Why do you have that part removed?
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 12:55   #27
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Out of interest? Why do you have that part removed?
I will redirect you to my thread from last year explaining it all
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 13:22   #28
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
I will redirect you to my thread from last year explaining it all
Hmm, truth be told I can't really see removing that doing anything to be honest.

Will give it a go and see though, thanks.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 13:34   #29
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Hmm, truth be told I can't really see removing that doing anything to be honest.

Will give it a go and see though, thanks.
Heh, it may be similar to T5Rs experience of "shouldnt change anything but made quite an improvement"
The restrictor actually is something I believe may make a difference and tbh it did to a lot of us . When you take it out you will see the way it is designed that its actually directs air trough side of it and like 30% of space is taken by plastic. Removing it you are ultimately widening the hole the air goes in. Whether I am sure its not changing much as for HP etc, it does affects characteristic of the car and does affect the intake noise. It did on mine anyway, so did on others so in general - its a good advise to try it yourselve and possibly benefit from it a little.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 13:42   #30
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Heh, it may be similar to T5Rs experience of "shouldnt change anything but made quite an improvement"
The restrictor actually is something I believe may make a difference and tbh it did to a lot of us . When you take it out you will see the way it is designed that its actually directs air trough side of it and like 30% of space is taken by plastic. Removing it you are ultimately widening the hole the air goes in. Whether I am sure its not changing much as for HP etc, it does affects characteristic of the car and does affect the intake noise. It did on mine anyway, so did on others so in general - its a good advise to try it yourselve and possibly benefit from it a little.
I'm curious as to why it's there in the first place, given this gen of Volvo was the first Ford/Volvo merge generation where everything on our car is essentially a cost cutting measure, I'm sure they would have got rid of this part if it weren't absolutely essential for some reason.