Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Madness or stupidity

Views : 1240

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 14:12   #11
TR1GG

Really the fiesta is only a 1.4 petrol and it really likes to drink! over 120 a month where as my last diesel car was max 70 a month and both petrol and diesel I use/d was shel v power fill ups
TR1GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 14:39   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1GG View Post
Really the fiesta is only a 1.4 petrol and it really likes to drink! over 120 a month where as my last diesel car was max 70 a month and both petrol and diesel I use/d was shel v power fill ups
I'm sure your fiesta does 40 to 50 mpg ,, the 2.4 will be lucky to get 25 mpg ., in fact there will be no disadvantage in getting the T5 petrol turbo model with an extra 45 bhp . However the 2.4 5 cylinder is a joy to drive ..
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 15:17   #13
TR1GG

The computer read out says I get 29.8 mpg I’ve managed to get it to 30.1 once haha
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 15:24   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The computer read out says I get 29.8 mpg I’ve managed to get it to 30.1 once haha
possible on a long smooth journey but not general running around , especially the auto :-(
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 15:45   #15
iain cooper

you are also moving up to a different class of vehicle in terms of comfort and build quality, etc

unfortunately in life you always need to pay for that bit extra, and weigh up if it warrants the additional expense to yourself

Iain
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 17:01   #16
TR1GG

Yea true I’ve had several cars over the years like a xsara piccasso , Renault Megane, seat arosa , 2 Hyundai i30s mk1 and mk2 now a fiesta another reason for the Volvo choice is that their like tanks good safety and not really a car thief would go for
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 17:15   #17
MDS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I'm sure your fiesta does 40 to 50 mpg ,, the 2.4 will be lucky to get 25 mpg ., in fact there will be no disadvantage in getting the T5 petrol turbo model with an extra 45 bhp . However the 2.4 5 cylinder is a joy to drive ..
Yep i second that, i get around 19-20 mpg around town but what a lovely car to drive.
It beats my old Jaguar hands down for comfort.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 17:18   #18
andy_d
Premier Member

the 2.4i petrol ,. round town 23-25mpg
the 2.4 diesel i dont know mpg

what i Can say is the V50 with the 2.4i Petrol engine is a Blast to drive, geartronic box is Very nice,, lazy do it itself or play mode , the engine is Solid and IF looked after with maintenance very nice sounding

the T5 2.5 petrol ,, you get all the benifits AND downsides of a turbo system

Build wise, this is my 3rd volvo , ive seen/tried new festa's ,, and,, this is why its my 3rd volvo !

1.4l engine ISNT going to last anywhere near the miles a 2.4 petrol will.

if it were me, the festa would be gone and a V50 replacing it without a second thought

V50- V60 ,, petrol engine and saying "Volvo" on the boot is never a bad move

Avoid "start stop" ****e,

sub £4k will get you a V50 SE 2.4 petrol in Very very good condition

(biased yes i Prefer volvo's , have a V50 2.4 petrol and HATE diesel things there crap, stink and bung out FAR more pollutants than the owners would ever admit to)
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 17:26   #19
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Thing is the fiesta is not rusty nor failed any mot and under 50000 miles in frozen white the main reason I really want a v50 is it’s bigger boot and want an estate.
But the oh says I’m mad as I have a working car that needs nothing done to it to go to a much older car that may need lots of work done to it!
Standard response from most people, why’re you getting rid of it? There’s nothin wrong with it.... etc etc. I had a V50 and loved it, the only reason I outed it was the upper coming repairs cost more than the car plus rot had broken out on the rear chassis. Ignore the naysayers, V50 is a capable motor and will serve you well. The D5 doesn’t suffer the issues of the 2ltr and 1.6ltr Diesels but make sure the Autobox is pukka. The Autoboxes in the V50’s have suffered some reliability issues and expensive to rectify but all that said they’re a god long distance motor and surprisingly roomy inside. Here’s a basic buyers guide based on my experiences and discussions with other V50 owners. Remember, this has the same underpinning as the Ford Focus which is also a decent motor so don’t be put off. My advice is this, check all functions, drive it and if there’s any issues, walk away.... there’s plenty of V50’s out there. Happy Hunting.

V50 buyers guide

Yes.....

1) The AC works, if it's not working or weak don't get fobbed off with a re-gas because it's the Condenser

2) DMF aka clutch is ok. Insist on a good test drive and check for flaring, it means the clutch is slipping. Circa £850 to rectify

3) any misfires or uneven running. If it is, walk away. Possible injectors circa £1400 to rectify

4) front lower arms are ok, look out for play in them.

5) the DPF was changed (if there's one fitted) and the Eloys fluid is topped up

6) The Infotainment system works ok, load a CD plus check the 3.5mm AUX output works. If it's not working ok then get the dealer to fix or walk away. Circa £650 to fix and it's a dealer jobby

7) Timing belt has to be changed at 150k or 10yrs depending on which is first. If they are going to do it make sure they do the water pump too. It runs on the belt.

8) look for warning messages. Anti skid service requires a new ABS unit, circa £650 and it's Gotta be coded to the car

9) Squeaks on the AUX belt area. Thank can signify a failing alternator or tensioner

10) Check the electric seats are functioning ok.

11) Geartronic... Listen for knocks, bangs or irregular gear shifts. Check manual change too. If in doubt, walk away because it costs thousands to fix.

The 2ltr diesel has got some grunt. I have a pre-DPF model and it pulls like a train. Check for service history preferably with invoices for proof.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 19:05   #20
TR1GG

Thanks for the reply on a buyers guide , I’ve seen a really nice 56 plate 2.4 d5 se sport unsure if has a dpf and for how much the fez drinks Petrol I’m thinking going back to a dirty diesel car , there’s a d2 2ltr r design sport close to where I live too but from what I’ve read there’s problems with that engine ??
The Following User Says Thank You to TR1GG For This Useful Post: