Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Follow me home lights on Volvo V40 Cross Country

Views : 916

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2019, 19:42   #1
rx6180
Part-timer

Default Follow me home lights on Volvo V40 Cross Country

Hi. I've just bought a 2015 V40 Cross Country 2.0 D2 Lux with 16,000 miles on the clock, ex Motorbility, from a used car supermarket near me. Previously I have owned a C30 1.6 DRIVe.

I find it odd that the hazard lights do not flash on the Cross Country when I lock and unlock it like they did on the C30. Also, despite the button for 'Follow Me Home' lights being on the key fob, there is no function, nor do the lights come on when I operate the flasher stalk. In the Sensus menu, I can find lots of settings to alter, but the one labeled Lights is 'greyed out', i.e. I cannot open that menu. Nor do I seem able to access an oil level readout from the display in the middle of the speedometer. The icon is there, but also 'greyed out' and inaccessible. I can access service information like miles to next service, but not the oil level. It seems odd to me I can't see the oil level in my car unless the car decides it is too low and flashes a red warning triangle!

The driver's handbook merely states, while listing everything a car could be fitted with, that some functions are only available as options, or only available in certain markets.

So is it right then that my car might not be fitted with flashing lights to confirm locking and unlocking, 'Follow Me Home' lights even though the button is on the fob, and a way of checking the engine oil, even though its got leather seats, DAB radio and power folding mirrors? Or is something broken and I need to return to the car supermarket for a fix?
rx6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 19:58   #2
dhr90

To read the oil level you need to put the ignition into II (long press of start button with key in slot, but without foot on brake or clutch) then it will allow you to view it. It’s not s very accurate system as Zebster has discovered.

Regarding flashing lights on lock, I’m sure I’ve seen V40’s flash up when locked, indeed I test drove one that did it. My V60 on a 13 plate flashes. Does the car actually lock? Are the doors locked but no flash?
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 21:46   #3
steV50

The indicators on my V40 flash on locking and unlocking the car. Have you looked at the lock settings in My Car? I don't know but maybe the indicator flash can be turned off.

As said above the ignition has to be in position II to use the electronic dipstick.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 09:15   #4
steV50

Just looked at this when I was out in my V40 this morning, not something I have checked before.
With the engine running press My Car then go to car settings then lighting and you will see that the indicator flash on locking/unlocking can be turned on/off and also the home safe lighting settings can be altered. I imagine these settings have been turned off on your car.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 11:42   #5
rx6180
Part-timer

Thank you, that's fantastic. I've now accessed the oil level and set up the lights as they were on my C30. I'd obviously missed the meaning of ignition position II with the long push, and it also seems odd that you can set most things up in Sensus without the engine running, but you need it running to access the lighting menu! Anyway, anything to avoid taking a car back to a car supermarket (or anywhere for that matter) is worthwhile.
rx6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rx6180 For This Useful Post: