Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Went to see a car yesterday.But keeping T5!

Views : 1201

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2012, 18:14   #1
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Default Went to see a car yesterday.But keeping T5!

As title I went to see a car yesterday, I'm lucky at the moment in that I work 12 hour shifts (not really lucky as its boring as fcuk) so generally do about 60 miles a week, We're wanting to relocate back to the northeast and the chances are that the weekly mileage will more than likely double, with this in mind I was contemplating swapping to a D5 just to save on petrol costs as the T5 isn't exactly frugile.

So I spied a 2005 S60 D5 with 70k on the clock in the local franchised dealer, and went for a butchers, now the car is not in as good condition as my current cars (extrior loads of marks/bad touch ups, interior poor condition wear marks etc, needed work as one of the rear doors was showing locked when the rest of the door were unlocked) same approx mileage as my T5 and 6 months newer a 55 2005 as opposed to a 54 2005, now it was up for £5698 giving the condition and over all appearence of the car thought it was optimistic to say the least!!!, just out of interest I ask for a trade in figure and a best deal etc..

Now my S40 T5 is 77K full service history 2 owner, pretty much immaculate on the inside and a good 8.5-9 out of 10 on the outside, new alloys with virtually new tyres etc, just about every option, premium sound/HIDs/Phone etc and I got offered the princely sum of £2000 for my car (after haggling they started at £1500) they offered 900 off the window price of the car (even with that off car was sexpensive), so basically about £2800 to swap to a D5 that's 6months newer and worse condition its MADNESS!!!

I knew the prices were on there arse but to be offered less than half what I paid for the car in January is ridiculous!!!, bearing in mind I got a bloody good deal on T5 in January!!!. Surely its got to be worth more!

So upshot is I'll be keeping the T5, I have to say I was a little dissappointed with the S60 I thought it would be a lot bigger inside and it wasn't really, some how felt more cramped than the S40 and the interior looked very dated.

I have to say in days gone by you either got stiffed on the trade in and got a good price on the car you were buying, or got an over inflated trade in and nothing off the price the car, but garages now seem to want it both ways shaft you on price and on the trade in....

Worse thing is the salesman won't stop calling me!! even though I said nee chance!!! that 3 calls already!!!
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 19:45   #2
iainmd

The sad fact is that nobody is prepared to pay good money for gas guzzlers and diesels command a high resale price due to their frugality and the price of fuel. Condition and milage seem to matter less than it used to where a diesel is concerned.

Hence why my T5 will be with me until one of us dies. I do hope it goes before me though!

We have a 2003 130k mile Audi A2 TDi that would easily fetch more money on resale than the 2004 78k T5 SE. All this because the A2 does 60mpg+ and the Volvo uses an oilfield to go to Tesco and back (30 quid a year road tax also helps the Audi's case).

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 20:22   #3
ian7675

I'm the same, I will be keeping the T5 for a long long time yet. You need to think, there is no point spending extra money on a diesel just so you can save money on the fuel. If you spent an extra £1000 for example, it would take you a long time to get that back in fuel saving, especially if it's only 120 miles per week.
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian7675 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 20:57   #4
grin factor

Dealers take the pi$$ all the time, no matter what you are trading in.
Stick with your own its in fair better condition as it is, and if you bought the 60, how much do you think you'd get trading it in the state its in?
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 21:01   #5
850Chris
Premier Member

What's got into you? Stop this nonsense right now . Without a doubt you should keep your T5. The D5's are good but no match for the grin factor the T5 gives you day in day out (my dad has a V70 D5 185 - it's quick but no T5).

If money's tight then sacrifice holiday's, home improvements, nice food, drinks etc.... NOT THE T5!!

I hope this is the end of it!

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.

Last edited by 850Chris; Oct 16th, 2012 at 22:00. Reason: Carn't spelly
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 21:29   #6
SiRS2000
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
The sad fact is that nobody is prepared to pay good money for gas guzzlers and diesels command a high resale price due to their frugality and the price of fuel. Condition and milage seem to matter less than it used to where a diesel is concerned.
This is the reason I went D5 instead of T5 when I bought mine.

A year before I bought the D5 I was driving a 6 year old 03 plate Ford Focus St170 Estate very nice rare car also loaded with a tiny 35,000 on the clock, my wife was driving a 75,000 03 Plate Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec with a few options A/C Heated Windscreen 16in Ford wheels, all in all a car worth almost £8000 less than mine when new. Both cars had full Ford service history and were in very good condition both were 9 out of 10 cars but to my surprise when it came to trade in we were getting offered £3000 for the Fiesta and guess what just £3000 for the Focus I was gob smacked. This lowly offer is purely down to the fact that large thirsty petrol engines are just not desirable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00096.jpg (258.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00104.jpg (233.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04353.JPG (322.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by SiRS2000; Oct 16th, 2012 at 21:36.
SiRS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 22:50   #7
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian7675 View Post
I'm the same, I will be keeping the T5 for a long long time yet. You need to think, there is no point spending extra money on a diesel just so you can save money on the fuel. If you spent an extra £1000 for example, it would take you a long time to get that back in fuel saving, especially if it's only 120 miles per week.
I've come to my senses, on the blast to work, the grin factor I get from the T5 is immense, I've also worked it out and as you've said to spend an extra £1500-2000 just to save a little on petrol is not worth it it would take nearly a year before I get the initial saving back, and I just love the interior, its such a nice place to be...

I can always take the girlfriend C30 to work LOL....
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 10:26   #8
iainmd

We've got a similar dilemma. My daily commute is ~30 miles round trip and the T5 drinks fuel at a quite brutal rate. I use about a tank per week at £60ish. If I use my wife's A2 I can go 3 weeks without a fillup and it costs about £40 to fill.

We really need a bigger main family car as the S40's rear seats aren't really wide enough to take the belt-in child seats, plus it's too thirsty and the A2's a bit too wee for 2 kids plus going on holiday kit. I've decided that next year we're buying a larger but cheap-ish to run car as the main family car (second hand X3 2.0d springs to mind) and I'm keeping both our existing ones. The A2 will become my commuting car and the T5 becomes a weekend car for me thus reducing its running costs significantly.

The big win here is having a spare in case of emergency. The A2 finally broke down after 130,000 miles on Monday and while it's been in the garage getting fixed it's been a nightmare getting around with one car between us.

Decisions, decisions!

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; Oct 17th, 2012 at 12:24.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 10:36   #9
Axionknight
Premier Member

Convert it to gas if needs be.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:08   #10
PeteB1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
We've got a similar dilemma. My daily commute is ~30 miles round trip and the T5 drinks fuel ar a quite brutal rate. I use about a tank per week at £60ish. If I use my wife's A2 I can go 3 weeks without a fillup and it costs about £40 to fill.

We really need a bigger main family car as the S40's rear seats aren't really wide enough to take the belt-in child seats, plus it's too thirsty and the A2's a bit too wee for 2 kids plus going on holiday kit. I've decided that next year we're buying a larger but cheap-ish to run car as the main family car (second hand X3 2.0d springs to mind) and I'm keeping both our existing ones. The A2 will become my commuting car and the T5 becomes a weekend car for me thus reducing its running costs significantly.

The big win here is having a spare in case of emergency. The A2 finally broke down after 130,000 miles on Monday and while it's been in the garage getting fixed it's been a nightmare getting around with one car between us.

Decisions, decisions!
About £80/week for me to commute a total of around 550 miles in a D5 AWD. A single tank full will not quite make the last 1/2 of the final days round trip in a week (I have managed 520 miles on a single tank). I'm certain the std V70 D5 will be better still.