Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40/V50 Now dead?

Views : 1908

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 09:22   #11
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Yep mate and yes they are offering a flat 20% off new vehicles ......
Even V40?

Quote:
Well mine must be desperate!
It does very much sound that way.... If you can pick up an S60 Business Edition for £13.5k then please get me a couple as well.....
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 09:32   #12
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Not sure but all my sales guy told me was 20% off new cars...which i think would entail it being for V40 as well...

the thing is it is only for existing customers so there is the sting i suppose...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 09:37   #13
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Not sure but all my sales guy told me was 20% off new cars...which i think would entail it being for V40 as well...

the thing is it is only for existing customers so there is the sting i suppose...
Ok then.....
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 17:37   #14
S40 Squared

The S40/V50 are gone from the website, gone from dealership showrooms and gone as courtesy cars - certainly at the dealer I use in York. Not sure about the Leeds dealer - it merged with Peugeot and it has a horrid atmosphere (to go with their customer service). I stay away from it.

New V40 is poor for boot space - cant securely keep golf clubs in the boot, away from prying eyes. Maybe its time to bag the last of the old shape S60 - D5 185bhp. Very underrated.

After the C30 runs out, the C70 is next to go (it becomes the C60). The S80 becomes the S90 and the V70 et al will become V90. So we get 40's, 60's and 90's. Soon a new XC90 will emerge.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 19:13   #15
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Ok then.....
Well it is quite obvious but i have no interest in the V40 what so ever, it does not appeal do not get me wrong i love the front end profile, but as a current C30 owner the space in the front is tight for me and in the back it is laughable if i have any rear leg space left!

in addition the cost makes absolutely no sense to go and buy a V40 in my mind as in the current climate the S60 works out less!

In addition, i see peoples point about the V40 it is/never was a suitable replacement for the C30/S40/V50 in reality...maybe the V60 was for the V50 crowd but somehow it still does not seem quite the answer...
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 20:13   #16
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Well it is quite obvious but i have no interest in the V40 what so ever, it does not appeal do not get me wrong i love the front end profile, but as a current C30 owner the space in the front is tight for me and in the back it is laughable if i have any rear leg space left!

in addition the cost makes absolutely no sense to go and buy a V40 in my mind as in the current climate the S60 works out less!

In addition, i see peoples point about the V40 it is/never was a suitable replacement for the C30/S40/V50 in reality...maybe the V60 was for the V50 crowd but somehow it still does not seem quite the answer...
Same here just not with the design... It is a car I think the world can do without... And as Volvo has nothing in offer which appeals to me (other than the C30 I have already!) I'll be leaving the Volvo brand... After 6 Volvos!
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 20:17   #17
Ninja59

I have to agree it tried to replace 3 cars for hell sake it was never going to really "work" unless you produced variants in the same fields as the current series...the additional confusion is a hatch in a V predominately estate range....there was a chance to have your cake and eat it by producing a design that allowed for a small saloon, hatch, coupe and estate. it really is not much different from tacking on and removing certain elements...if your frank that sort of what the P1 platform cars the odd ball is the C30 in that line up though but it does share some pieces with its sisters.

i mean i do not want to leave volvo as there is few cars that appeal the S60 is lovely but i have a thought at my time in life it could be a while however i really "would like" one...
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 23:20   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:

There are discounts to be had as you say across the entire Volvo range, apart from, that is, the V40 with it being so new.Its rare any manufacturer will instantly discount a brand new to market model. Volvo are pinning a lot on the new V40, and if it doesnt go as well as thought then discounts may become available, like anything else really.

The problem I think with the V40 is the price. Nice car just too expensive.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 09:53   #19
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
The problem I think with the V40 is the price. Nice car just too expensive.

Regards
Rightly or Wrongly the New V40 is aimed at people who are new to the Volvo brand. I think I’ve only sold 1 so far to an existing Volvo customer, and that was replacing an older V70 as they didn't need anything as big any more and wanted 5 doors.

The V40 is expensive when compared to a C30, but not particularly when compared with an A3/A-Class/1-Series, so guess that’s why we're selling a lot of them to people outside of the Volvo Brand......just my view from the ground floor, but kind of ties in with peoples views on here by the sounds of things?

Also the 0% finance and service pack is helping a lot on V40 and is something which I don’t believe the competition is offering on similar vehicles..think Merc are doing 4.9% finance as an example.....
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 10:06   #20
Ninja59

When i last looked at the figures quoted though there was an instant £1,500 difference between the models mentioned or around that figure, okay the stuff included might not be the same but that is on hell of wodge to even begin with!

Rightly or wrongly if it wanted to attract people to the brand it should at least try to align itself with the competition. I agree on the outside brand but that is something the C30 was meant to do and well it bloody well did! I think dare i say it is expensive even in comparison with the S40 and V50.

I think what many people are getting at that are current volvo owners that it struggles to fit into any slot what so ever it attempts to replace three cars and in someways is a mash up and is seen at HUGE expense. Whilst is might gain new customers i think some will locate the exit door sadly that are current...

lucky for me i like the S60 but there is nothing else (maybe the C70 but that is the next one on the block!)...