Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 roof not closing fully

Views : 10454

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2019, 10:12   #21
Sharpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGraham View Post
Hi Sharpolk,
I'm not mechanically minded enough to give you a definitive answer but from other posts on the C70 roof I'm under the impression that it can be opened & closed manually. How easy the process I don't know. The attached file may help you to sort out your problem.
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/c7...ullDetails.pdf
Thank you! We’ll give it another go tomorrow.....
Sharpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 18:25   #22
Sysyphus

There is a process for manually closing the 06-13 c70 hardtop convertible... it’s a three man job, idea being to get the roof closed one-time so you can drive an overweight rattly couple with a big boot until you get it to the dealer to get it fixed... there’s a document of this process out there that I thought I had bookmarked, but can’t find right now... I’ll try to post when I find it unless someone else beats me to it
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 19:54   #23
Sysyphus

Found it: https://youtu.be/i6NVwfXUi5s
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 17:39   #24
Sharpolk

Well, we cracked it- what your man in the Youtube clip fails to point out, because he opens it manually before reclosing it, is the need to push back the ski hatch in order to access the Allen key socket in the front roof section. Once you’ve done that, it’s actually pretty easy. Sort of.

Because now the roof is closed, and that’s great, but it keeps having a hissy fit and displays a message saying ‘stop safely, roof can be damaged’. Marvellous. So I need to work out what’s gone wrong and get it sorted once and for all.
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 00:46   #25
nhf117

There is a pressure valve on the hydraulic pump. When you pull the wire to relief the pressure the valve opens but after you release the wire the valve won't close by itself. You need to get to the pump and manually push back the latch at the end of the wire. Now as the valve is closed again you need to press the close roof button to build up pressure in the system. Keep the button pressed until you get the message 'roof closed'. After that, everything will be back in normal . No error message and the roof will be secured and tight.
nhf117 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nhf117 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:43   #26
Sharpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhf117 View Post
There is a pressure valve on the hydraulic pump. When you pull the wire to relief the pressure the valve opens but after you release the wire the valve won't close by itself. You need to get to the pump and manually push back the latch at the end of the wire. Now as the valve is closed again you need to press the close roof button to build up pressure in the system. Keep the button pressed until you get the message 'roof closed'. After that, everything will be back in normal . No error message and the roof will be secured and tight.
Aha! Thank you. That might just be the puppy. So where is that pump please?
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:59   #27
Sharpolk

Actually- I just watched the very end of the video again, and I think I’ve sussed it. And when I look at the rear roof section- the part with the rear screen- Ivan see that it isn’t properly aligned. So I’d better have a go at reseating it. Thank you for the replies- I REALLY appreciate it!
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:15   #28
nhf117

It is located in the forward part of the trunk just below the seat pass-through. You need to take out the bottom liner of the trunk to have access.
nhf117 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nhf117 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 11:58   #29
Sharpolk

Ok- I can’t upload a photo for some reason- but I think I can see the latch that you mean. There’s a coiled spring around it and it moves- a bit. But now I’ve got ‘roof failure’ messages and the rear section is unhinged. Oh the joys 😐
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 13:38   #30
Sharpolk

Aha- I see now. You press down the little button and it springs back into place. Roof closed message displaying- that might just have done it......
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpolk For This Useful Post:

Tags
c70, issue, not closing, roof