Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing radio/sound system

Views : 3122

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2012, 13:35   #21
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by higthepig View Post
I believe that the FM transmitter devices sold in the UK have a lower power output than those sold in Europe. In my previous car we used a UK spec transmitter for a while whilst living over on mainland Europe, it was constantly losing the signal/getting breakthrough. I bought a FM transmitter over here and it proved less prone to blocking/interferance although it was still not perfect.

If the weather conditions are right, I can get R5Live until just past Brussels when driving to the Netherlands, when stationary (engine off) I can get it at home if the weather is on side. This is normally when I'm sat outside a supermarket waiting for my wife!

I have no problems getting World Service, although this does not answer your question about R4.

I didn't know this was possible, I'll speak to my dealer about this for when I pick up my new XC60, thanks.

I'm over towards Brunssum and although the LW update to the AM band was advertised by Volvo UK in its Summer 2010 Campaign (it is also out on a Volvo Bulletin)...I went to my local Volvo main dealer here Frank Klijn in Heerlen (fantastic but not cheap service - although paying in Euros helps).

Off this forum I had the Software Part No: V31328075/044219/Radio Frequency AM Download but on checking was told this was not correct for my vehicle (I have a MY2007 XC90 V8 Exec). I explained it was a Software Update advertised by Volvo in the UK, so the Dutch dealer (who couldn't find the right part number on the computer or had immediate access to the Bulletin - not many Dutch people need LW) let me call Volvo UK from their telephone to check for the correct part number with my UK registration number.

The lady in Volvo UK customer services called back after about 15 minutes and having checked with a technician - sure enough provided a different part number for my car...which the dealer looked up, confirmed and then undertook the Software Update there and then to my car - took about 10 minutes and EUR60 (inc 19% VAT)...

So I now have an additional frequency range from 148.5kHz to 283.5kHz on my AM Band...with BBC World Service/Radio 4 on 198kHz...R5 is in there somewhere as well...

This Software Update to add LW Frequencies to the AM Band is available for all Volvos as I understand...across a number of different part numbers...so check with Volvo UK first especially with a UK registered vehicle as many dealers don't seem to know them and aren't aware of even the Bulletin let alone the Summer 2010 Campaign...
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doc4246 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 13:39   #22
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Going for the full DAB in the new car, not sure of its use over here in Europe, but will be great when we return to the UK.
Shame we can't have analogue, DAB and satellite all in one...I too am looking at specs for a new XC60 T6 AWD for about 6 to 8 months from now...to replace my MY2007 XC90 V8 Exec....I shall miss not having a V8...I digress
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 13:45   #23
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

doc4246

Thank you very much for that. It is a small world, I'm not far from Brunssum and use Frank Klijn for my servicing etc. I'll have a word with Volvo to ensure that my new XC60 is delivered with the updated software, not much point getting my present XC60 done, I'm hopefully taking delivery in June of the new one.

I have been 'reliably' informed that servicing in Germany is a lot cheaper than the Nederlands, given your location a few miles from the border, may be worthwhile making a few phone calls next time a service is due.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 14:18   #24
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
doc4246

Thank you very much for that. It is a small world, I'm not far from Brunssum and use Frank Klijn for my servicing etc. I'll have a word with Volvo to ensure that my new XC60 is delivered with the updated software, not much point getting my present XC60 done, I'm hopefully taking delivery in June of the new one.

I have been 'reliably' informed that servicing in Germany is a lot cheaper than the Nederlands, given your location a few miles from the border, may be worthwhile making a few phone calls next time a service is due.
Tried the German side...and I expect you're right, but my German is poor and you know how sometimes you need to explain the technical problems of a squeek here or a clunk there and they look at you as if you just landed from Mars...

At least at Frank Klijn they all speak English (better than my own mother tongue) and the service and advice really is top quality...even for a few Euros more...plus they are the closest to where I live. They always have room to fit me in (my last German experience I had to wait 2 weeks to book a car in for a service)...and Gerard Haszing the Parts Manager (who just seems to look after me whatever I want) always follows up to my inquiries and goes out of his way to ensure the correct parts are used for my UK registered and UK model MY2007 XC90 V8 Exec (there are only 94 x XC90 V8 Execs registered in the UK as UK models)...even the wiper blades he had fitted are for the right hand drive model - so no corners cut, well at least so far!!!

Garard would not even have charged me for this Software Update had my car been in for a service as they would have done it simply thrown in as part of the overall Software Update for the whole vehicle...which they don't charge for in the servicing price (unlike the UK and USA etc)...however this was a one off...but he did throw in the front wipers for nothing, so the EUR60 wasn't bad.

If you're going by just pop in and ask...Gerard might just do it for nothing - it really is a 10 minute job once they have the part number (so get that before you go in)...and I'm sure if they have a free bay there and then, they will do it for you...especially as they now know what it is...they thought I was just being a crazy British person when I was trying to explain what I wanted...and they couldn't believe it when after doing the update that I had the additional LW frequencies and then tuned into BBC World Service...just when the Pips were going!!!

I also showed the young technicians how to display the DTSC status on the dashboard using the indicator stalk Reset button held down plus 2 clicks of the rear foglight button...blew them away - and (so they say) now they do it as part of their routine before returning a car to a customer as a double check to make sure all error codes have been cleared/reset.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 14:34   #25
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

Quote:
I also showed the young technicians how to display the DTSC status on the dashboard using the indicator stalk Reset button held down plus 2 clicks of the rear foglight button...blew them away - and (so they say) now they do it as part of their routine before returning a car to a customer as a double check to make sure all error codes have been cleared/reset.
Hmmmm, wonder if that works in the XC60?

Thanks for the rest, next time I'm over that way I might ask the question, I do know the Service Manager quite well!
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 09:45   #26
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4246 View Post
Tried the German side...and I expect you're right, but my German is poor and you know how sometimes you need to explain the technical problems of a squeek here or a clunk there and they look at you as if you just landed from Mars...

At least at Frank Klijn they all speak English (better than my own mother tongue) and the service and advice really is top quality...even for a few Euros more...plus they are the closest to where I live. They always have room to fit me in (my last German experience I had to wait 2 weeks to book a car in for a service)...and Gerard Haszing the Parts Manager (who just seems to look after me whatever I want) always follows up to my inquiries and goes out of his way to ensure the correct parts are used for my UK registered and UK model MY2007 XC90 V8 Exec (there are only 94 x XC90 V8 Execs registered in the UK as UK models)...even the wiper blades he had fitted are for the right hand drive model - so no corners cut, well at least so far!!!

Garard would not even have charged me for this Software Update had my car been in for a service as they would have done it simply thrown in as part of the overall Software Update for the whole vehicle...which they don't charge for in the servicing price (unlike the UK and USA etc)...however this was a one off...but he did throw in the front wipers for nothing, so the EUR60 wasn't bad.

If you're going by just pop in and ask...Gerard might just do it for nothing - it really is a 10 minute job once they have the part number (so get that before you go in)...and I'm sure if they have a free bay there and then, they will do it for you...especially as they now know what it is...they thought I was just being a crazy British person when I was trying to explain what I wanted...and they couldn't believe it when after doing the update that I had the additional LW frequencies and then tuned into BBC World Service...just when the Pips were going!!!

My bad - it's not the Reset button on the indicator stalk but the button at the end of the indicator stalk that is held in before pushing the rear fog light button twice (allow a second between pushes) and then release the button...you then push the button again and again to scroll through each DTSC code, if any are SET then it needs to be read to find the actual error code if NO or Checking, then generally all is well...
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 13:19   #27
sbxjld

Default S80 software update to get Radio LW

> Off this forum I had the Software Part No: V31328075/044219/Radio Frequency AM
> Download but on checking was told this was not correct for my vehicle (I have a
> MY2007 XC90 V8 Exec). I explained it was a Software Update advertised by Volvo in
> the UK, so the Dutch dealer (who couldn't find the right part number on the computer
> or had immediate access to the Bulletin - not many Dutch people need LW) let me
> call Volvo UK from their telephone to check for the correct part number with my UK
> registration number.

Dear,
I used to have this software update (V31328075/044219) on my previous V70 (year 2008). But today, when I asked to have the same update made to my fresh new S80 (2012), I was told by the Volvo dealer that it was not possible anymore (since this year?) to have LW on the Volvo radio.
The only solution for him, is to buy a AM receiver and plug it in the USB or the AUX.

Q : Could you anyone confirm that the software update ( Software Part No: V31328075/044219/Radio Frequency AM Download) is also working on the latest Volvo models (year 2012) - or is it something that is only working on older models ?
Thank you
sbxjld is offline   Reply With Quote