Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo D5 2008 (D5244T13 Engine) possible injector issues???

Views : 3072

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2018, 07:53   #31
Alex P

Okay I will double check all areas again and spend more time getting to understand vida better. I can change the map sensor again and go from there.
Alex P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 18:00   #32
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P View Post
Okay I will double check all areas again and spend more time getting to understand vida better. I can change the map sensor again and go from there.
I didn't see the VIDA screenshots, and as chesired5 suggests all of those things mentioned need looking at.
(He's a pretty knowledgable guy - check out SiRobb on YouTube, very useful videos for D5 owners!)
Old May 17th, 2018, 21:08   #33
Alex P

Cheers all for the information, The MAP sensor has been changed back to the original one since, as the screenshot readings were taken with a new replacement sensor which was supplied incorrect. The readings are now reading 102kpa static and rise with revs, during driving and on boost in 3 gear over 2400rpm it measures up to a max of 250kpa. On to the next thing to test. One thing I will check is the driveshaft bolt and abs ring just to discard this.
Old May 18th, 2018, 21:16   #34
Alex P

Well another day and yet more interesting symptoms. After driving home from work the car had slight juddering as before but I've just come to it and it will not start!! The engine cranks over but won't kick in to life, cranking FP is around 4200kpa on the autel scan tool. Release the key/ dongle but continues to crank!!! then warning messages "Brake Failure" and others pop up!
Turn ignition off while scratching my head - look outside and all lights/ fogs / puddle lights are on!! Only way to turn off is to removed the keyless dongle from the ignition.

This car is really starting to test my patience and really seem to have more issues than I can sort out.
Any ideas what this could all be??
Old May 18th, 2018, 21:46   #35
cheshired5
Premier Member

You need around 15000+ kPa or the injectors won't be given the signal to fire. It'll just crank forever.

As well as a faulty fuel pressure sensor, a leak in the fuel system could easily cause this so if your fuel filter is new, that's the obvious place to look but it could be from poorly seated injectors or other stuff.
Check all around the injectors and engine for signs of leakage too.

That said, with a braking fault message and strange lighting behaviour, failures of multiple modules can be a single failure in the CEM or ECM seeing as they are interconnected.
Old May 18th, 2018, 22:01   #36
Alex P

Totally strange, parked it up and only a few hours later to go out in it for more live data fault finding to see it wouldn't start and all the associated issues...
nothing on the engine has been touched today. Looks like I'll need to disconnect the battery and start looking at the CEM connectors/ fuses/ relays.
I did have the classic sunroof drain blockage with lots of water in the passenger footwell a few months ago but I don't think the water dripped on to the CEM, it seemed to go more down the A pillar but can't be sure. I'll have to check all these now over the weekend.!!
Old May 22nd, 2018, 21:40   #37
Alex P

Okay, As a bit of an update and hopefully closure to this thread as it looks like the CEM was at fault all along (slightly water staining and dry solder joints) and the recent non start with the "Brake Failure" message led me to look at the CEM again. The CEM has been repaired and all seems fine.
The car has now ran perfect (touch wood!!!) and back to normal. It's recently been on a long road trip to London with no issues.

However I've since purchased another vehicle so my pride and joy Volvo V50 will be coming up for sale very soon.
Thanks to all for your help with trying to diagnose my issues it was greatly appreciated.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:08   #38
Yobbo
Dave

Great news! Not so on selling the car haha...

Where did you get the CEM repaired by the way?
Old May 23rd, 2018, 22:52   #39
Alex P

I repaired the CEM myself to be honest, the board had slight water ingress residue on certain areas so I cleaned off with IPA (Isopropanol Alcohol) and let it all dry out, then went over all the soldered joints with a high heat very localised flamed torch. Checked and flushed out all connection blocks/ wiring and refitted.
It's a shame as I was intending to keep it but I've since purchased another car so it's time I moved on and let another volvo enthusiast hopefully cherish it and look after it once it becomes for sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex P For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 12:10   #40
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P View Post
I repaired the CEM myself to be honest, the board had slight water ingress residue on certain areas so I cleaned off with IPA (Isopropanol Alcohol) and let it all dry out, then went over all the soldered joints with a high heat very localised flamed torch. Checked and flushed out all connection blocks/ wiring and refitted.
It's a shame as I was intending to keep it but I've since purchased another car so it's time I moved on and let another volvo enthusiast hopefully cherish it and look after it once it becomes for sale.
Fair play!
At least you got to the bottom of it with some dilligence.

When I last had the bumper off, I noticed that my ECU/CEM had salty corrosion on the back of it, but was it any wonder when there was an open funnel right above it that could let in water!
Decided that gaffa-taping it up would be the sensible thing to do haha...