Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC 60 Review

Views : 14876

Replies : 130

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2011, 03:19   #1
volvorocks
Rodney

Default Volvo XC 60 Review

Pros
Looks nice and draws admiring looks and comments
Relaxing when cruising at a steady 70mph on cruise
Comfy seats
The gruff 5 pot engine is quite a nice sound
Big exterior wing mirrors
Feels safe.
Rarity and somewhat exclusive on road (there may be a very good reason for this)

Flaws/Cons
Hard to park and judge size
Keyless start operates only on clutch
Keyless stop does not apply handbrake (when you have parked and are egressing the vehicle)
12v socket missing in front stack if speccing smoker pack
“Premium” stereo has dropouts and not that loud nor clear nor worth the extra price. Older Dynaudio much better.
Wallowy handling - X3 actually better with ride comfort and handling with its optional suspension pack(mmm this will open a can of worms!!!)
Feels very large on the road although quite small when parked next to X5 Rangie or Santa Fe
Rangie easier to place on road despite being larger
Using Ipod or USB to play music - sensus gets confused and lists previous track name
Cruise not intuitive and has to be switched on every time vehicle started
Rain sense wipers not intuitive - if rain sensors are on (and in most cars that have this feature sometimes they go to fast when not raining or to slow when raining - if you flick the wiper stalk to do a sweep or flick to stop this it switches off the “rain sense” function - you then have to reset the rain sense function
Global closing of windows and sunroof needs keyfob to operate which defeats the object of it being keyless - (windows cannot be closed using the button on the door - but hey you can on a Citroen!!)
Ride is hard and crashy when going over bumps or over “road coming to end lines”
You can hear cars as though window is open even with “double laminate glazing” and wind noise
Trip mileometer primative - similar to a 1990 Ford Fiesta
No fuel gallons used on trip computer
Trip computer needs to be pressed and then scrolled through with separate wheel. Not intuitive
Not that economical D5 manual with fast and slow driving mix of urban and motorway 32mpg
Seat belt cuts into throat so very dangerous not to mention uncomfortable. No adjuster
Lack of storage options - why not have an in floor cubby and under seat cubby?
Large bottle of water (1 litre) will not fit in door bin
Small bottle of water if placed in cup holders falls over and fouls gear stick if full - so water bottle best be “half full”
Lack of cubby storage in boot - why not have cubbies in side of boot
Play stereo and (understandably) everything stored in door bins (only storage that is available really) vibrates
Feels unwieldy in town driving situations
Why not have an F1 style integrated fuel cap not a screw one. Dirty smelly fuel tainted hands similar to 1990 Ford Fiesta
Slippy leather steering wheel
Cannot use last few inches of space in boot as power tailgate will not close as it needs this extra space - which is understandable although manual closing boot lids do not suffer with this problem
When open door after ignition off cannot close open window with electric window switches (no 30 second power allowance)
Open door with ignition on - BONG BONG chime - so cannot play stereo say when parked up and relaxing on camp chairs looking at scenic views as you get BONG BONG chime
Cannot drive with belt off eg on private farmland or when reversing - BONG BONG chime
Different BONG BONG chimes -just to let you know that you are actually in a car say with the door open...yes I know...I opened the door...lol..so I know thank you..yes I turned the ignition on ...so i know...thank you again....as Jeremy Clarkson might say......well I dont know what he might say as he is un predictable ...lol..
Have to move head to left and backwards when moving sun visor to side window as head is hit with sun visor
Electric hand brake in the most ridiculous place - stretch to operate -why not place closer to driver
Unload car so door open with interior lights on - which go off after about a minute which means you have to shut the door and open it again to activate interior lights to see what you are doing - annoying late night early morning for neighbours with open door close door open door bang scenario
Open power tailgate and car rear lights illuminate (to warn boot lid is open supposedly) - which draws attention to your contents in the boot - yet there is no interior boot light so you yourself cannot see what is in boot!
When closing doors - they do not close with that re-assuring “thud” of a premium car.(2 do 2 don’t)
12v sockets fell “loose”
12v power socket in boot always live - so remember to unplug your microwave or portable fridge freezer - although can see the point in so far as if you want a quick shower with a portable shower you do not have to have the ignition on - although why not have a little switch in the boot - “on” (power permanently on) and “off” power only on when ignition on.
Vehicle not as potent nor accelerative when 5 people in (ok they were quite hefty!!) and unfair to compare to Jag XJR which is unruffled with extra weight. This Volvo vehicle knows it is carrying weight and complains!
Wash windows whilst driving with windows open and if headlamp wash comes on expect shower in drivers seat!
Chrome strip on bonnet feels flimsy - be careful when opening bonnet!
The dreaded DPF (common problem with all vehicles so fitted) - 12mpg on motorway when “regenning“ with accompanying power loss…!!! - sort of scientifically worked it out that the car is running with around 100bhp max!!

All cost options /technology / goodies not as good as what other car manufacturers offer as standard or cheaper as cost options and that which Volvo charge top dollar for

£38k…???……worth £22k max

If the car was a kid at school the teachers report may state - “Vera is a very clever girl and has ability and so much potential so could do so much better if she concentrated and applied her talents to the job in hand”

Sumary - “Style over substance”

Comments as always very welcome peeps.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 09:38   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I do not see your flaws/cons as flaws - I think that as you get to know the car you will find that there are ways to achieve some of the things you suggest. e.g. when you lock the car hold the button down for a few seconds, then ALL the windows will shut automatically.

Is it valid to claim that the car is wallowy and then claim it is to hard, is that not a contradiction in terms?

I suggest that this list is more a list of personal gripes, possibly comparison with your last car, and not a list of substansive issues with the car, though they do make an interesting personal commentary.

BTW, if you look at where the seatbelt joins the pillar you will find the height adjuster ...
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 10:14   #3
stu0710
Master Member

Hi - perhaps you should have roadtested / looked at the car properly prior to purchase? I'm sure that the cubby holes didn't disappear between you looking at a car in the show room and the car being built? It just goes to show that a car purchse requires a lot of research and an objective test drive to ensure that it fits your needs. It's easy to be dazzled by the showroom experience and not properly examine the car's features, if in doubt go back with a list!

BTW - if you want to play the radio with the ignition off, just press the power button on the radio!

Not so much a review as a list of quibbles!
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 10:24   #4
richy2

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as reviews go I don't think I could disagree more with pretty much all your 'flaws', seems strange you seem to have many hangs ups about it's size, dimensions, road presence and parking - I assume you test drove one to get a feel for how it drives/size etc?

I certainly feel like mine justifies its price tag of mid-30's and compared more than favourably to similar spec'ed cars from BMW (X3) and Audi (Q5) but worked out better for the Volvo with the proper auto-box which I wanted for its towing ability.

I can't help but think some of the flaws with the Sensus system might be unique to your car, I certainly could never complain about the volume or sound quality coming from mine with the Premium pack (have you played with the settings that others have recommend on here?), I think if I ever tried to put it past 3/4 volume the glass would shatter with all the vibration and deep bass (although did opt for the low-cost sub, maybe that was a wise choice). Never had any issues with it showing the wrong ipod track titles either, slow picking the correct one up sometimes but I've an old ipod - works perfectly and I rarely find myself using the radio (dab or analogue) because my whole library is with me and it sounds fantastic. I also am loving the quality of the voice activation, I've pretty much given up on manually entering destinations I find the voice control that intuitive and good.

My auto D5 is sat at 36mpg and I do like to push it now and again in sport mode and manual mode so I'm really please with that given the solid performance it gives, also not much point comparing the performance to another make of car which probably has more cyclinders and more CC's to work with, I find the D5 a solid balance between performance and economy, for the size and shape of the XC60.

I find the seats and leather on my R-Design extremely comfortable over long journeys and they certainly feel 'premium', in fact the whole car is very relaxing to drive upto and beyond legal limits and the suspension on the R-Design is firm for sure but one of the best damped setups I've driven on an SUV (I guess you're not comparing to an old X3... now they had a crashy ride!).

I guess it's all about expectations, previous car history etc. You've clearly got far too many niggles with the XC60 to enjoy it, personally I've very few (a touch of wind noise from the passenger front that I need to hunt down, but that's 80+ mph only and without laminated side windows).

No issues on my auto wipers, I love that I can manually flick wipe without resetting anything like you have to in most auto setups where you flick the stalk into a different position, mine continue in auto mode.

Last edited by richy2; Jul 25th, 2011 at 10:33.
richy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 11:04   #5
Ringthane
VOC Member

Wow. I didn't know my car was so bad.

Does anyone else use the Screen Wash with the windows open? Say no more.
Ringthane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 16:13   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I do not see your flaws/cons as flaws - I think that as you get to know the car you will find that there are ways to achieve some of the things you suggest. e.g. when you lock the car hold the button down for a few seconds, then ALL the windows will shut automatically.

Is it valid to claim that the car is wallowy and then claim it is to hard, is that not a contradiction in terms?

I suggest that this list is more a list of personal gripes, possibly comparison with your last car, and not a list of substansive issues with the car, though they do make an interesting personal commentary.

BTW, if you look at where the seatbelt joins the pillar you will find the height adjuster ...
Hi

Yes a personal commentary (just an opinion). Love reading peoples opinions to.They are all good.

Comparison to all sorts of cars from cheap nasty ones to more expensive ones ...so a wide band

Yes a ride can be hard and wallowy at the same time i think!
(Alfa 8c? supercar Clarkson tested I think he said was rock hard and didnt handle well)

Regards the seatbelt adjuster...there isnt one on MY12....??

Best regards
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 16:13   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
Wow. I didn't know my car was so bad.

Does anyone else use the Screen Wash with the windows open? Say no more.
Yes perhaps not the best thing to do!!!!!..lol
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 16:32   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
Hi - perhaps you should have roadtested / looked at the car properly prior to purchase? I'm sure that the cubby holes didn't disappear between you looking at a car in the show room and the car being built? It just goes to show that a car purchse requires a lot of research and an objective test drive to ensure that it fits your needs. It's easy to be dazzled by the showroom experience and not properly examine the car's features, if in doubt go back with a list!

BTW - if you want to play the radio with the ignition off, just press the power button on the radio!

Hi Stu

Very valid comments.

Regards playing the radio with the door open - yes I didnt think of that.
I will have to start compiling a list called "flaws with me"..!!!...lol

Many thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 16:57   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy2 View Post
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as reviews go I don't think I could disagree more with pretty much all your 'flaws', seems strange you seem to have many hangs ups about it's size, dimensions, road presence and parking - I assume you test drove one to get a feel for how it drives/size etc?

I certainly feel like mine justifies its price tag of mid-30's and compared more than favourably to similar spec'ed cars from BMW (X3) and Audi (Q5) but worked out better for the Volvo with the proper auto-box which I wanted for its towing ability.

I can't help but think some of the flaws with the Sensus system might be unique to your car, I certainly could never complain about the volume or sound quality coming from mine with the Premium pack (have you played with the settings that others have recommend on here?), I think if I ever tried to put it past 3/4 volume the glass would shatter with all the vibration and deep bass (although did opt for the low-cost sub, maybe that was a wise choice). Never had any issues with it showing the wrong ipod track titles either, slow picking the correct one up sometimes but I've an old ipod - works perfectly and I rarely find myself using the radio (dab or analogue) because my whole library is with me and it sounds fantastic. I also am loving the quality of the voice activation, I've pretty much given up on manually entering destinations I find the voice control that intuitive and good.

My auto D5 is sat at 36mpg and I do like to push it now and again in sport mode and manual mode so I'm really please with that given the solid performance it gives, also not much point comparing the performance to another make of car which probably has more cyclinders and more CC's to work with, I find the D5 a solid balance between performance and economy, for the size and shape of the XC60.

I find the seats and leather on my R-Design extremely comfortable over long journeys and they certainly feel 'premium', in fact the whole car is very relaxing to drive upto and beyond legal limits and the suspension on the R-Design is firm for sure but one of the best damped setups I've driven on an SUV (I guess you're not comparing to an old X3... now they had a crashy ride!).

I guess it's all about expectations, previous car history etc. You've clearly got far too many niggles with the XC60 to enjoy it, personally I've very few (a touch of wind noise from the passenger front that I need to hunt down, but that's 80+ mph only and without laminated side windows).

No issues on my auto wipers, I love that I can manually flick wipe without resetting anything like you have to in most auto setups where you flick the stalk into a different position, mine continue in auto mode.
Hi Richy

Thank you for your input - it is great to hear and read other peoples opinions as they are all valid.

A pal of mine has a (not so nowadays) small supermini and he finds the accelerater pedal far to light and his knee catches and rubs on the door panel - To me though I see no problem and do not agree!! - We are all different I suppose.

Listed everything I could think of really to get everyones opinion.

Stereo is ok and settings been adjusted - just feel that whilst it is a reasonable stereo - it is not worth the extra cost.
(comparison experience Harmon Kardon ,Mark Levinson, Ford standard stereo,Bose ,aftermarket Kenwood,older Dynaudio,)

Re wipers..you press the button on the stalk and rain sense is on - although if you do a "flick wipe" up or down it switches it off on MY12.

Yes more a list than a review although just listed as came into ones head.

It does read rather drastically and some issues are but just minor although the comparison is from experience of a wide range of cars - some good some cheap some expensive!

It does seem pointless though to pay a few hundred quid for keyless keyfob - only to find global closing can only be operated using the key fob - when other vehicles with keless keyfob can close the windows with the door button.

Also on alternative makes of vehicle when one parks and switches the engine off the electronic handbrake applies automatically - instead on the Volvo you have to manually press the button - no major big deal - although the handbrake button is in a daft place.

Yes old X3 was rock hard ride - newer one is a lot better - especially with the optional fancy suspension pack.

Agree that leather seats are nice and comfy in XC though and vehicle is very comfy on motorway although rutted roads and potholes can be felt through the cabin more than one would expect - maybe this will soften up with mileage

Regards performance - Yes the performance is ok for a vehicle this weight and size - I think it is probably a matter that one gets used to it after a few miles and then expects more - so I agree it is pretty pointless for one to compare a diesel 2.4 with a supercharged 5 litre -

Same goes for the 360 - supreme performance - that is until you have used it a bit - then it seems slower after more use - then it seems too wide then too low...so on and so forth..lol
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 17:12   #10
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post

Hi again Stu

Yes certain things only become more apparent that one may not have noticed when test driving!

Electric power boot lid will not close if boot full as it needs the extra few inches of bootspace to close whereas a manual boot lid you just push down.

Not something that readily springs to mind when testing..ie arrive on test drive day with a a car full of luggage and camping equipment to test if this happens!!!..lol

No the cubbies didnt disapear between test drive and being built..lol...this is oversight by purchaser..lol - although the 12v socket did disapear between test drive and build!!!!!!

All the best