Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing radio/sound system

Views : 3127

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 17:16   #11
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
according to the bbc website, only on LW198 or internet radio.
Get Volvo main dealer to upgrade AM band with LW frequencies...did for my XC90 cost about GBP40...okay not best reception in Europe but I can listen to Radio 4 at 198 good enough...
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doc4246 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 22:00   #12
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leseduts View Post
No, I do not have a USB port. We made a mistake when buying the car, having just retired we bought as basic a car as we could. We also have a top of the range V70 which is all singing and dancing, but we already owned that when we retired. I think that it is comparing the sound system between the 2 that we realise what we are missing.
well if you want to go the mp3 route, you can also get mp3 players which play through fm:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mp3...radio&tbm=shop
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 08:30   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by leseduts View Post
No, I do not have a USB port. We made a mistake when buying the car, having just retired we bought as basic a car as we could. We also have a top of the range V70 which is all singing and dancing, but we already owned that when we retired. I think that it is comparing the sound system between the 2 that we realise what we are missing.
Even the 'basic' car used to have a 3.5mm audio socket in the armrest pocker that you can use to take the headphone output from and ipod (or similar) and then that can be played through the car - worth having a look for this as you have a large range of options that can be used to give a much better quality than the devices that transmit over FM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:24   #14
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
...you have a large range of options that can be used to give a much better quality than the devices that transmit over FM.
in my wife's yaris, she plays her ipod through the tape player. obviously different, but still using one format for another. anyway the sound is pretty faultless. i guess from your experience this quality doesn't transfer to the fm transmitting devices?
82 Metro 1.0
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 14:03   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
in my wife's yaris, she plays her ipod through the tape player. obviously different, but still using one format for another. anyway the sound is pretty faultless. i guess from your experience this quality doesn't transfer to the fm transmitting devices?
Paul

The issue that I have found with the FM devices (I used to have one for the iPod in the wife's car) is that you are hamstrung by the lack of available frequencies, interference from other devices transmitting at the same frequency and general electronic noise - you have to remember that these devices are only allowed to transmit minute amounts of power and the signal is easily swamped by other transitions

I found that for my daughters 7 year old Clio there were a number of devices that connected into her radio directly (mostly emulating CD changers) giving CD quality sound from an iPod or other device connected through an audio lead - I am sure something like this would be available for the Volvo range.

My view is that I would use the FM devices, but only as a last resort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 21:11   #16
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

You can upgrade to USB/iPod interface for about £400. Search under accessories.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 155mph For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 09:52   #17
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

I believe that the FM transmitter devices sold in the UK have a lower power output than those sold in Europe. In my previous car we used a UK spec transmitter for a while whilst living over on mainland Europe, it was constantly losing the signal/getting breakthrough. I bought a FM transmitter over here and it proved less prone to blocking/interferance although it was still not perfect.

If the weather conditions are right, I can get R5Live until just past Brussels when driving to the Netherlands, when stationary (engine off) I can get it at home if the weather is on side. This is normally when I'm sat outside a supermarket waiting for my wife!

I have no problems getting World Service, although this does not answer your question about R4.

Quote:
Get Volvo main dealer to upgrade AM band with LW frequencies...did for my XC90 cost about GBP40...okay not best reception in Europe but I can listen to Radio 4 at 198 good enough...
I didn't know this was possible, I'll speak to my dealer about this for when I pick up my new XC60, thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 10:49   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higthepig View Post
I believe that the FM transmitter devices sold in the UK have a lower power output than those sold in Europe. In my previous car we used a UK spec transmitter for a while whilst living over on mainland Europe, it was constantly losing the signal/getting breakthrough. I bought a FM transmitter over here and it proved less prone to blocking/interferance although it was still not perfect.

If the weather conditions are right, I can get R5Live until just past Brussels when driving to the Netherlands, when stationary (engine off) I can get it at home if the weather is on side. This is normally when I'm sat outside a supermarket waiting for my wife!

I have no problems getting World Service, although this does not answer your question about R4.

I didn't know this was possible, I'll speak to my dealer about this for when I pick up my new XC60, thanks.
You should order the DAB preparation kit in your new XC60 for about £80 . it is a factory fitted optionand allows you to upgrade to volvo DAB in the future , otherwise you cant .
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 10:55   #19
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

Going for the full DAB in the new car, not sure of its use over here in Europe, but will be great when we return to the UK.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 12:11   #20
darbs
XC60 Owner

i guess one of the biggest issues with the fm transmitting devices is that they're not necessarily anywhere near the car's aerial, which is on the roof!
82 Metro 1.0