Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Major catastrophe. ..sheared off oil sensor on B20

Views : 1580

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2016, 20:15   #1
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Default Major catastrophe. ..sheared off oil sensor on B20

Really in trouble now...access is tricky to tap it out ..Would a spot of weld seals it sufficiently? Ahhhhh nightmareally any suggestions folks?
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 20:41   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smalls View Post
Really in trouble now...access is tricky to tap it out ..Would a spot of weld seals it sufficiently? Ahhhhh nightmareally any suggestions folks?
I would take the manifolds off , it should be easy to drill it out a bit then use a thread extractor .
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 20:51   #3
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Nutty..

If you're contemplating welding, try MIGing a nut to what's left of the sensor. You might be able to use this to screw it out. Perhaps a nut sawn or ground down to half thickness to make it easier to weld through the hole in the middle.
There are of course various extractors available. Don't bother with the typical ones that look like an ice cream cone, they often break off in the hole. The snapon man and good engineering suppliers have better versions of these with less of a taper and also some that you hammer in. Of course an oil pressure sender already has a small hole in it which could help.
If possible I'd go for the welding option, as the extreme localised heat often loosens everything up.
The sophisticated and engineering option is to drill it out and re-tap the hole, presumably with the engine removed and stripped down, but even that could be risky.
Good luck.
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 21:54   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

To reinforce Mark's comment re drilling out, doing that will almost certainly introduce flakes of drilled metal into the pressurised oil ways. This is the last place you want it if you value your bearings.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 22:11   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
To reinforce Mark's comment re drilling out, doing that will almost certainly introduce flakes of drilled metal into the pressurised oil ways. This is the last place you want it if you value your bearings.
no problem , just crank the engine a bit to flush out the hole with pressurised oil .
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 22:17   #6
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Ok a master class needed in this situation ok here goes ,

If it's the ALLOY oil pressure sensor then burn it out with a blow torch which 9/10 times is the material used for those with a tapered thread but naturally the metal type would come out with weld if it is but I would be very surprised if it is metal .

Alloy will melt and drip out of the hole cleaning the thread on its path then it's free to refit new , drain oil and exchange for new and oil filter at the same time job done .

Happy melting .

Kind regards

Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 22:41   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123GT-AMAZON View Post
Ok a master class needed in this situation ok here goes ,

If it's the ALLOY oil pressure sensor then burn it out with a blow torch which 9/10 times is the material used for those with a tapered thread but naturally the metal type would come out with weld if it is but I would be very surprised if it is metal .

Alloy will melt and drip out of the hole cleaning the thread on its path then it's free to refit new , drain oil and exchange for new and oil filter at the same time job done .

Happy melting .

Kind regards

Robert.w
I've never seen an alloy Oil light switch in any Volvo They are always steel from the factory , and have been dealing with them since late 1960's ..

If you had a non volvo alloy one heated it up with a fierce flame it would get blown INSIDE the oil gallery , not a good idea !
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 00:54   #8
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Monkeys

Only ever seen steel oil pressure sensors. Of course there are brass fittings for oil pressure gauges on some 1800s and as after-market parts on Amazons.
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 08:59   #9
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

It depends if you want your oil pressure guage/switch to work afterwards--- if not then the cheapest way ( I know I am going to get and avalanche of indignant comments) is to level it and JB weld it--it will out live your car and you could always find another route re the pressure switch..just a thought.

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 10:35   #10
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Hi All - well it's in the garage this morning and I will update on progress. I wrote the initial thread in a panic whilst in the pub using their wifi (and drowning my sorrows!)

I was just finishing off a job and noticed a wire that I couldn't identify, worked my way to the oil sensor and found it very loose - ah ha I thought, that's where my oil leak is. So I tightened it up - and pop! off it sheared!

Now, looking at the sensor where it sheared - I'd say it is alloy? It has that 'grainy' texture if you know what I mean, not a 'shiny' surface....

either way, the mechanics think they will be able to tap it out - access is a pig to do that due to the exhaust but if it comes to it - I'm not fussed about have the sensor on there (I've lived with it not working for 6 years) so they may weld a little plate over it???

will report back