Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon: suspension bushes, clutch slave & exhaust advice...

Views : 2164

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2017, 13:11   #21
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

"I can't call anyone during the day". Didn't know you were a vampire? Can't think of any other excuse.
Most small business places just aren't geared to work with emails, just too busy keep an eye on those. Sometimes even phone calls are too much if you don't have a receptionist. I think Simon is one of 3 and they all work on the shop floor as it were. I've generally found that Simon will answer promptly but I do leave it until just after lunch so they can get overnight orders sorted out first. Try and make a list of what you think you need and stick to it, then ask if there is anything extra Simon thinks you may need to fit the parts you've agreed on.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 17:05   #22
SvenSomerset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
"I can't call anyone during the day". Didn't know you were a vampire? Can't think of any other excuse.
My work situation doesn't allow me to be able to make calls, it's as simple as that! I can, however, just about sneak emails out (and post on here).

I do appreciate that keeping an eye on emails is difficult for small companies but why have an address if you aren't going to check them regularly? With people working extended hours and out of 'typical' environments (ie not in an 'as long as you get your work done then making the odd phone call is okay' situation) it's difficult to ring, or keep trying to get through, to businesses without raising the ire of your employers, let alone getting anything sorted on Saturdays.

We aren't exactly 'time poor, financially rich' but even without kids the two of us working full-time means that getting anything done on our Amazon is difficult. Ergo, if you reply to emails and are open Saturdays (or at least around) then you're more likely to get our business – I can't see that our situation is very different to many classic car owners with don't possess the necessary mechanical skills to work on vehicles themselves.

In terms of simply making a list of the suspension parts, that's simply beyond my ability. I've no idea of which bits I need, just that all the bushes should be replaced and that it's a wise idea to replace all of the bolts, etc, holding them in place at the same time. I've got a general idea of what car suspension does but no more, which is why this is proving difficult...

Happily, Infinity Exhausts answered my email so we're going over there early this Saturday to get a stainless back box fitted. Then, hopefully, we'll have time to pop in and see the guy at Bath Bodywork on our way back, to get a quote for paint touch-ups and wheel enameling – again, he's only there by chance on Saturday, normally it's just weekdays, 9-5, and he did answer his email!
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SvenSomerset For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 15:49   #23
SvenSomerset

Well, we're making some progress!

Drove up to Infinity Exhausts on a very wet and windy Saturday morning, took the lads 1.5 hours to sort us out – seam split in the 'over the axle' pipe meant that needed replacing, too... £300 for a custom SS pipe and the back box – went for twin pipes as it didn't cost any more but looks cool, had to ask the fella for smaller pipes twice, though! The first ones he brought out to show me looked like gas mains! :-D

Next we drove back to Bodywork Limited in Bath, to get Sven's paint checked out. Andrew, the owner of this family business, which was founded in 1947, is a thoroughly no-nonsense fella. He looked at Sven's paint, said he'd seen a helluva lot worse, advised us to keep him waxed and "drive the hell out of it"! He then said, "Come here, I want to show you something," and took us inside to reveal that he's restoring a two-door MKIII Ford Cortina GLX that both Graham Hill and James Hunt drove at Brand's Hatch during a 'celebrity race' at the 1976 British Grand Prix! Andrew said that to sort out the paint blemishes would be an expensive job and, instead, said we should take Sven to Rainbow Paints in Weston, get them to digitally colour-match the body and wheels, then I can get two small tins/aerosols of paint and some primer, and touch up the rims and any body dings myself, and sort the rear reflector housings. He was a classic fella, although my missus thought he was a d**khead – there y'go!

I also spoke to Dai at Classic Swede, who said he'd emailed me, though I never received his message so there may be a problem with his email system. He asked me to take a look at the pressed steel rear suspension supports, as they're prone to rust from the inside out, which I did while we were at Infinity on Saturday. They looked and felt solid but I've sent Dai some pics to make sure. He's going to sort us out a complete poly/rubber bushings and fixings kit.

In other news, I've got a NOS right-hand dash pad coming from a fella named Anders near Stockholm, at less than half the price of a new one in the UK. Whereabouts are the screws fixing the bottom dashboard trim strip in place?

Just had a delivery from Brookhouse of a new headliner, replacement headlights & bezel seals, clutch slave cylinder repair kit, rubber trim for the rear reflector pods and a screw for the interior arm rest... I've also just ordered a roll of black butyl sealer to try and stop the leak from the new waste pipe I put into the bottom of the heater box – tried using Arbo smeared on my fingers but obviously it didn't work...

So the next steps are:
1) Get the suspension bushes replaced, the clutch slave rebuilt and the headights replaced at our garage.
2) Visit Rainbow and have some paint mixed so I can touch-up the rims and a coupla small dings on the body, and spray the rear reflector housings.
3) Try to re-seal the heater box waste pipe with the butyl tape.
4) Book in to Equinox Custom Interiors in Keynsham, to get the windlace they made us, the new headliner and the dash pad fitted.

Then, hopefully, Sven will be set for next spring! :-D

Last edited by SvenSomerset; Nov 13th, 2017 at 15:51.
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SvenSomerset For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 13:06   #24
Derek UK
VOC Member

Lower edge of the dash pad is held in place by the shiny strip and its clips which are available if you need them. They are not the best to fit so be careful, prone to splitting at the holes if you try and stretch the vinyl.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 15:02   #25
jamie
amazon1954

Smile bushings

Joss, I don't know if you have seen this quite informative thread from previously?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ght=derek+poly

Jamie

PS love the tail pipes!!
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 15:08   #26
jamie
amazon1954

this for the bushing of the ARB = Anti Roll Bar, so poly for the ARB

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ght=derek+poly
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote