Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

best modification

Views : 9114

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 10:01   #11
B20F
Master Member

Regarding the roadhandling the beefier swaybar was a big plus, together with the Koni classic shocks. I like the Konis because you can adjust them to your liking. Together with PU bushings allround makes it stick to the road. In the summer the interior used to get really hot because of the exhaust and BW35. I used this stuff made from carbon fibers on the firewall and transmission tunnel. I also removed the first silencer under the passenger side floor.These mods reduced the heat a lot in the interior and even reduced the interior noise. Next mod would be a manual, probably a M46 or M47.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:23   #12
jimbo1593
Master Member

The best mod I have done, which was free apart from time and a few M8 nuts and bolts, was moving the driving seat back by 6 inches. This gives me my preferred driving position, arms slightly bent from full extension, and removes that fear I have of my head hitting the steering wheel at high speed (not that i should worry as if that happened it would shortly be followed by my neck snapping as I don't have headrests!).

Heated rear screen is pretty good.
Eleccy ignition for never having to worry about dwell angles again.
Alternator for obvious reasons.

I have just fitted 123 ignition which has improved the response and consistency of the spark no end (timing marks static rather than jumping around like a leprechaun). This is my second amazon and thus I want to get it right. The dizzy was an unknown, and probably high mileage so, in all, I thought the £260 delivered price for the 123 was good value. If your distributor is newish or known low mileage and has been looked after then I would just go for the petronix electronic ignition, which I had on my first amazon and was also excellent value.

Remain a little unconvinced about PU bushes, bilsteins, and lowered springs. This has been discussed at length but I am sure the handling improvemnets need to be done in the correct order to get the most benefit.

Things i want to do are fit the beefier antiroll bar, front only, get the geometry set up properly, wider tyres and wheels, without inducing bumpsteer.
Headlight convo, sports exhaust and OD gearbox.

Last edited by jimbo1593; Oct 28th, 2009 at 11:49.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 12:30   #13
amazondean
amazondean

One upgrade that hasn't been mensioned is changing the fan motor for the early 6v because it spins twise as fast. I changed mine about 2 years ago and makes a huge difference in the winter. I know the amazon has a good heater but in the winter it's not that good but now it is. I have never had any problems with overheating of wires or blowing fuses either. I suspect one day the motor will burn out but then i will just put the original back in. I had to change the front cover of the blower unit for the early dome one but thats all thats needed to change.
Regarding the bushes, I'm afraid i dont agree with the polly bushes at all. My bushes were replaced many years ago by the previous owner for standard rubber and he used the car daily. Since i finished restoring it about three years ago the bushes are still in perfect condition and are a long way off needing replacing. infact i have never replaced a bush in any amazon to date and i have owned seven or eight at present. If the bushes are wearing out in the said year or so there must be other issues causing it, or a vested interest in polly bush conversions!!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 21:58   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by asneddon View Post

I'm interested about classicsweeds number 2 (the sports exhaust). I never had melting plugs or anything, and didnt notice any performance improvement. Possibly some at high revs (over 5000), but nothing I would care enough about to spend the money on again. I also prefered the deeper sound of the standard system to the more thrummy sound of mine now.
You do need a B20 to melt plugs (high heat range) as a B18 will not do it. You will have to drive it hard to do it regularly taking it upto 6500-7000 rpm high speed driving. The exhaust used was not the typical simons system but a bigger bore system. The simons is still a bit restrictive for a good B20. I dare say if running on high octane fuel the plugs would have survived but on unleaded (and no it was not running lean) they were not lasting long and could be killed after a good burn. With the bigger bore system you do also want a 4 branch manifold to stop popping in the exhaust on over run.

Witha ll that heat you would have expected valve / seat problems but even after over 100,000 miles on unleaded the head was in perfect shape.

The amazon system is far to small for a B20
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 22:09   #15
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
Regarding the bushes, I'm afraid i dont agree with the polly bushes at all. My bushes were replaced many years ago by the previous owner for standard rubber and he used the car daily. Since i finished restoring it about three years ago the bushes are still in perfect condition and are a long way off needing replacing. infact i have never replaced a bush in any amazon to date and i have owned seven or eight at present. If the bushes are wearing out in the said year or so there must be other issues causing it, or a vested interest in polly bush conversions!!
The bush issue is not just with amazon's but with all cars. Modern replacment bushes are made of poor quality rubber. The original bushes can last a very long time. I have some amazons that have original rear axle bushes in perfect condition. Where the problem arrises at the front is oil contamination and exhaust heat damaging them. That will have killed the originals years ago. I dare say IF you manage to obtain some good quality replacment rubber bushes they will last resonably well. You will notice that amazons fitted with PU bushes up front will have much more responsive steering and will tend to be lighter.

PU bushes have lots of advantages over rubber bushes but only one disadvantage - normaly a slightly higher cost but that is not always the case.

And yes I do sell poly bushes so I will be biased. BTW even nylon will do for the top wishbone bush and I don't make them.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:01   #16
TomTom
Master Member

The first thing I have done in any Amazon I've owned is to replace the seatbelts with inertia-reel, with nice classic webbing and keeping the original hardware. Quickfit do a nice job. The first time I had to take the belt off to open the passenger door was enough to prompt me to do this.

A rear LED brake light gives me peace of mind that lorries can see me braking just that bit earlier, so that's one of my good ones.

Front IPD rollbar gives lurch-less cornering but seems to be stiffened up the whole ride, so good and bad on that one.

I would LOVE to get my hands on an Amazon under-bonnet sound-deadening kit. Somebody please make one...

When I'm cornering a mountain road in the dark and find I haven't got enough feet to accelerate, change gear AND hit the dip-switch I think, must get a column dipper conversion. Also when it seizes up, again!

I like my handbrake red warning light. I have no idea why. I can't really justify it as it sits there glowing at me with the handbrake on, but I like it anyway.

Now all I want is a little sensor that goes "ding-ding" when you open the door, just like in Fargo, and this will make my day (just kidding on that one).

Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:17   #17
johnjp
Master Member

Upgrading of rear light lenses with substitution of `blinkers` with led`s as here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77143
so much brighter and reassuring that I can be seen
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:19   #18
Alf ista
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
I would LOVE to get my hands on an Amazon under-bonnet sound-deadening kit. Somebody please make one...

When I'm cornering a mountain road in the dark and find I haven't got enough feet to accelerate, change gear AND hit the dip-switch I think, must get a column dipper conversion. Also when it seizes up, again!

I like my handbrake red warning light. I have no idea why. I can't really justify it as it sits there glowing at me with the handbrake on, but I like it anyway.
Tom
Yes indeed, an Amazon under bonnet sound deadening kit. I would love on of these too. I was considering this:
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-127-hardura.aspx
The second in the list can be used for under bonnet and would look ok I think. I might give it a try but would be interested to know if anyone else has done anything similar.
I agree about the headlight switch. I have a stalk one so I am alright, but foot ones are only good for automatic cars in my opinion.
My car has a handbrake light, I thought these were standard?
Hugh.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:32   #19
asneddon
Master Member

This could be better, part number 410. You dont really want the bonnet to get too heavy.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 18:57   #20
lancsclassics
Shed Member

My most recent mod on my B18 Amazon is a single SU HS6 carb to replace the single Stromberg CD175. Also fitted a K&N filter at the same time. A home grown conversion using a NOS carb off Ebay.

I had previously fitted a Simons Sports exhaust and now the car goes reasonably well for a single carb job. It certainly responds much better from idle and accelerating from standstill.

Other improvements:-Alternator, push button start, single wipe conversion, uprated springs and dampers.

In terms of wheels, the car has 70s period Cobra Supaslots with 185/70R14 tyres. They look quite chunky because of the high aspect ratio but they certainly draw lots of attention to the car.

Definitely needs an overdrive though. Please PM if you know of one available!
lancsclassics is offline   Reply With Quote