Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 1.9D - Stalling when trying to accelerate from idle

Views : 1230

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 19:30   #11
cbarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick45 View Post
Hi Mate,

Read about my not dissimilar issue here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237088

Cured by replacement fuel rail sensor. Hope helpful.

Best, Nick
My maxidiag code reader (brilliant for resetting SRS lights) won't read the diesel engine codes, and I don't have a DICE owner close to me unfortunately. I'll have a go at changing the fuel rail sensor (thanks for the info ) since that looks the next easiest step. Is it just a screw out/screw in job?
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 19:32   #12
cbarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Cleaning the EGR may help. Helping a friend remove his this weekend and I can't say I am excited about it. Dirty horrible job
have tried to get hold of a new gasket in case I need to clean the EGR, but Volvo don't have them anymore. Is there a Renault part that does the job? I'm stuggling to source one for the weekend.
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 22:05   #13
gatos
Premier Member

Renault part number 8200080147 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Valve...wAAOSwXxhZ-JNf...

Just found this one too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-R...MAAOSwiONYPX6-... He is selling 3 of them for only £8.99

Aftermarket one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/47-EGR-va...kAAOSw-itXtZ~V...

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 07:11   #14
cbarrow

that's brill. Thanks Gatos! I've ordered a pack.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbarrow For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 08:27   #15
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrow View Post
that's brill. Thanks Gatos! I've ordered a pack.
Don't forget that the O ring for the intake shut off valve should also be changed when the intake is cleaned. That O ring does not last forever and tend to cause an oily (It's actually half burnt diesel) mess on nearby hoses when they fail to seal the intake correctly.

Volvo also changed the spec and type of bolt used around the EGR cos a few of them sheared off. They are now machine screws rather than hex head bolts.

I've still not cleaned my own EGR valve (The intake was cleaned) for the past 100K miles, as an hour or two on the autobahn seems to keep it clean.
In general terms it probably should be cleaned every time the main cam belt serive is done.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Nov 23rd, 2017 at 09:07.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 17:26   #16
cbarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Don't forget that the O ring for the intake shut off valve should also be changed when the intake is cleaned.
Good thought. Does anyone have a part number (Volvo or Renault) for the O- ring please?
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 17:45   #17
cbarrow

Tried to get the EGR out today. Read the guides and made a jemmy from a length of metal bar and some bolts. Even with that, could only just get the EGR to turn after some effort and lots of spray and carb cleaner... didn't even look like it was going to come out - then I broke one of the tabs (fractured off). Have put it back together best I can. Half the tab is still there so something for the bolt to grab onto...

I don't know whether to try to re-attack it (maybe with the wood and mallet trick, it just laughed at the plumbing grips i tried) or just leave it alone..
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 21:12   #18
Nick45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrow View Post
My maxidiag code reader (brilliant for resetting SRS lights) won't read the diesel engine codes, and I don't have a DICE owner close to me unfortunately. I'll have a go at changing the fuel rail sensor (thanks for the info ) since that looks the next easiest step. Is it just a screw out/screw in job?
AS far as I remember, yes. It was a v easy job. As you've said, you're in danger of playing parts darts here but if so, you may as well start with the easy stuff first.

Gatos may have a known good 2nd hand part for a reasonable sum. Hope you get it sorted mate.
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick45 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 21:15   #19
Nick45

Oh another thing. I'm presuming that DICE covers all models. Have you asked on the other sub forums for someone near you? This forum is v. helpful but not the largest. The V70/XC70 00-07 lot (where I currently reside!) are a good bunch.
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick45 For This Useful Post: