Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition won't turn beyond position II

Views : 14465

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2013, 16:20   #11
Baffler
Premier Member

Where the arrow is pointing is the receiver for the inner side of the barrel assembly.

I think some part of the steering lock mech innards have broken away so I'm going to need the whole assembly. Which part? I've no idea until I can remove the anti-tamper plate from the square section highlighted below and is probably best done on a flat bench rather than in the car.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 16:25   #12
960kg
Premier Member

MMmmmmmm....that is an interesting one Liam....did you ever turn the key before properly right in?...silly question i know as we all just do things without thinking .....but i think gatos is correct that piece of metal on the floor has come from where the yellow arrow is.

The actual key has broken it off when not fully pushed in!!!!!!

Just ordered my large electric switch part... the other side of the key/barrel and pick up tomorrow, £35 i thought that a bloody good price for what it does......Good old Volvo parts again in

Just posted after your latest pics.

The part number for the lock is maybe on the pic. i put up previous?
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 16:43   #13
Baffler
Premier Member

I wish it was an oversight on my behalf, Keith, but unfortunately not. When the barrel was in place I could not turn it to position III but, when removed, it would turn freely.

When I put a large flat-head screwdriver in place of the barrel assembly I was still unable to engage the starter. It was then I fished out the shard of metal from the steering lock mechanism. Something has snapped/sheared within the mechanism.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 17:55   #14
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
I wish it was an oversight on my behalf, Keith, but unfortunately not. When the barrel was in place I could not turn it to position III but, when removed, it would turn freely.

When I put a large flat-head screwdriver in place of the barrel assembly I was still unable to engage the starter. It was then I fished out the shard of metal from the steering lock mechanism. Something has snapped/sheared within the mechanism.
I am beginning to get the jist now as it`s not the key that goes where the bit is broken.

I think really it is just the luck of the draw as with my old radio sets and especially old record decks the arms are made of mezzanite which crumbles or cracks with the atmosphere just degrading it as it ages ......these alloy parts become brittle and are just cheaply made parts as well as they are just knocked out in hundreds or thousands. have a look at the pic. and you will see what happens to bits on a tape recorder.

In your pic. the white plastic part, the switch, is what i am replacing tomorrow but mine is made of the same crap metal as the lock!

Vadis do not show how to remove the lock although they show the parts. All under secret cover!

Like the 854
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF cam.JPG (163.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Mezzanite Cam.jpg (161.3 KB, 50 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 18:54   #15
Baffler
Premier Member

Found the culprit! A small piece of the steering lock mechanism cam, the section between the key barrel and the electrical switch of the ignition assembly, had snapped off and prevented the key from being turned to position III.

I removed the cam from my '98 car and, although identical to the '03, it doesn't have the little spring loaded plunger or half moon guide as in the above picture. I'm guessing this plunger and guide is to either assist smoother disengagement of the steering lock or some form of extra security feature added to the phase II ignition. I replaced it without the plunger and guide and it's working away the finest. Happy days

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 20:50   #16
40s
1.8 not GDI, T4 1.9cd

Thumbs up

glad you solved the problem, lucky that you had a spare barrel at hand, but on another note them pictures are crystal clear, fantastic,
40s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 40s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 11:51   #17
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Good on you for sticking it out on this on, Liam. I have to agree with the previous post - those are some really good close-up pics!
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 12:08   #18
960kg
Premier Member

Nice one Liam........success for little cost and a bit of savvy...
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 12:22   #19
Baffler
Premier Member

Thanks guys! I just hope I haven't unnecessarily inconvenienced Gatos for his spare lock assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Good on you for sticking it out on this on, Liam. I have to agree with the previous post - those are some really good close-up pics!
I simply set the Macro function and the camera did the rest. I keep meaning to pick up a nice little tripod to eliminate shake.

Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 12:35   #20
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Thanks guys! I just hope I haven't unnecessarily inconvenienced Gatos for his spare lock assembly.
Baffy, I wasn't inconvenienced one bit. . Everything I do is a learning experience? I was going to reply to your PM but it's easier too do it here for the benefit of others to. Did you have to remove the shear bolts to remove thiese bits? If not, angle grinder out and chopping the top half

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote