Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 161017

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2016, 15:39   #521
AngloScot
Master Member

There are loads of Porche's around this area too!

Looking at the photos of the Jag, I can't help but see the XC60, albeit more rounded. Lovely looking car though.

We are getting more like America, roads full of SUV's.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 17:26   #522
Arianne
Premier Member

When we park up in Melrose for some shopping or coffee it's not unusual to find a line of Volvo XC60 and XC90s already there. The local Volvo dealer has one of the highest 'hit' rates. I don't know how they measure it but their market penetration here in the Scottish Borders is quite something. They also have the Jaguar franchise here too, so I guess the exclusivity will fade over time - not that it matters hugely to me.

The only thing I would say is that, having spoken to four Jaguar dealerships, none of them had more than 50 build slots each for the whole of 2016. I have a feeling that worldwide demand will far outstrip supply. One dealer explained that he thinks some of his clients will not wait but will choose other cars if the lead time becomes too long.

Were sold on the Italian Racing Red. It's the test drive on 30 April that is the big test now. I recall just how keen Mrs A was about the X4 until she actually test thing. I couldn't believe how quickly she switched off, it was binary!

Regards,

Arianne
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 17:59   #523
tem
Premier Member

Jaguar list 85 dealers within the UK.
If each gets allocated 50 units, then with 4250 on the road between now and early 2017, that will be some achievement.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out, a year from now.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Apr 18th, 2016 at 18:00. Reason: Text.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 18:55   #524
AngloScot
Master Member

I could be wrong but I'm sure the XC90 was a sell-out on first orders for the new model.

Melrose is a lovely wee toon, wouldn't take many cars to fill it up.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 19:05   #525
tem
Premier Member

I forgot to say in a previous post, when I went to Jaguar last Thursday in Inverness and wanted to measure inside the cargo area, the salesman tried to open the tailgate by waggling his foot below the car.
After several waggles and a scratch of the head, he had to use the key.

Not sure if this is something that needs to be set up in the menus, during the PDI, or was there a fault?

tem.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 19:19   #526
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
I could be wrong but I'm sure the XC90 was a sell-out on first orders for the new model.

Melrose is a lovely wee toon, wouldn't take many cars to fill it up.
Volvo's First Edition of the new XC90 (1927 units), at £68k, were sold within 47 hours and 55 of these came to the UK.

tem.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 19:34   #527
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I forgot to say in a previous post, when I went to Jaguar last Thursday in Inverness and wanted to measure inside the cargo area, the salesman tried to open the tailgate by waggling his foot below the car.
After several waggles and a scratch of the head, he had to use the key.

Not sure if this is something that needs to be set up in the menus, during the PDI, or was there a fault?

tem.
The three showroom cars all behaved that way. One dealer fellow explained but I can't now remember what he said, it was something to do with the fact it was in the showroom and the tailgate motor wouldn't lift it. It wasn't to do with the gesture tailgate but the electric motor not being enabled.

But the one which was fully prepared for the road in Kendal worked fine. I don't think I will be bothering with the gesture tailgate option. TBH, I can't see why a manual tailgate is such a problem, maybe I am showing my age! If a motorised tailgate was optional I wouldn't buy that either.

Test drives began in earnest today so it will interesting to read what normal folk think soon. There has been lots of stuff written about plastic inserts on the wheel centres (my XC90 had them, maybe my current car does too?), the black plastic covers across the wheel arches when you open the rear doors and about plastic generally. Hmm, I wonder if this is an obsession with saving weight (mentioned by Jaguar constantly in every aspect of engineering the F-Pace), cost cutting (mentioned by many folk who hanker after the halcyon days of pre XE & XF cars) or something else? It's 80% aluminium, the tailgate is composite (that's plastic to you and me, like my XC60) and there's a magnesium strip apparently somewhere low down to ensure better weight distribution.

Who knows....

I think we should let this thread cool for a while and concentrate on our XC60s? It is a Volvo forum after all? I am beginning to feel a bit guilty so I will sign off now!

Arianne
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 20:48   #528
tem
Premier Member

Thanks Arianne.
One thing that I did not notice on my visit to Inverness, but have seen on videos, I could not see a kick plate with the rear doors open, just a plastic moulding, which in the videos looked scuffed.
OK, with my V60 and kick plate, I still manage to get dirt on the inner plastic mouldings.
Maybe not an issue?

The waggle foot to open the tailgate, could be dangerous for me, I would probably fall over, while standing on one leg.

Please do not kill this thread, unless I am reading something between the lines?
You and I have been with Volvo for a long time and for me to clear my head of anything Volvo, when looking at a new marque, I find impossible.

The D4 has been a headache, but hopefully it will be resolved soon.
I was asked by my dealer, how many miles have I added to get EGR/Oxygen sensor problems rectified.
Current mileage is 27000 miles and 2400 miles have been back and forth to the dealers.
But I am still with Volvo.
Fool, that I am.

tem.
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 08:09   #529
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post

Please do not kill this thread, unless I am reading something between the lines?
You and I have been with Volvo for a long time and for me to clear my head of anything Volvo, when looking at a new marque, I find impossible.

tem.
Hello tem, you're right about length of membership of this forum, about ten years for me going back to my first XC90.

No, there's nothing between the lines. It's just that I do genuinely feel a bit guilty as there's probably nothing more boring than some person who is interested in getting a Jag going on and on about it on a Volvo forum. Coupled with the fact that I think I've run out of anything terribly interesting to say about it! At least until the day comes for the test drive

Having said that, it's a thread that we all share and own so it's not mine to close off. It has wound its way across plenty of abstract themes in the past and so could happily do so again.

Not sure about the tread plate. I will have a special look for it when I next visit the dealer. In the meantime, have a lovely day. And I too still love Volvo, the engine turtle has been a nuisance but not much more than that TBH so, if need be, I would certainly consider a Volvo again in the future. Might still do so for 2017 if the F-Pace doesn't merit the £££ investment after driving it on 30 April!

Regards, Arianne
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 10:13   #530
St James

Agree, don't stop posting on this thread.

There are a huge number of us that love such discussions, being car enthusiasts we are part of the same club............plus I want to know how good other cars are so that I can make an informed choice for the next one!

I don't think anyone has any issues with talking about other cars on here, which is refreshing IMO.

J
2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to St James For This Useful Post:

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan