Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Pump and Filter refurb + SU HS6's

Views : 817

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2017, 19:03   #1
v8250

Default Fuel Pump and Filter refurb + SU HS6's

Thought to share with you all...the Amazon's often felt a little sluggish at mid-hi speed since I bought the car in the summer and have been meaning to remove the mechanical glass bowl fuel pump and over size metal can pre-fuel filter for some while. So having some spare time today whipped the pump and filter off, stripped the pump, cleaned and re-assembled with new gaskets...threw the old filter away and installed a new unit. Fired the old girl up, re-set the idle and fuel mixture on the Zenith and...BINGO, a completely new car! Took for a good long test drive hitting 120kph in no time at all...and the mid range pick up is superb. So the message to share is that if your car's feeling a little sluggish, give the pump a rebuild and fit a good quality pre-filter; it makes the world of difference.

And now for the SU story...have been looking for a good set for a while and saw these on Facebook together with the refurb'ed exhaust manifold and will fit with a few other little upgrades.

But have a Q? for the Amazon Collective...should I install the trusty K&N filters [have used these for many years now] or install a 140 type box with K&N. Your recommendations greatly received...

Rgds
Andrew

PS here are a couple of Autumnal pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1593 - Copy.jpg (339.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1536 - Copy.jpg (298.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 23201833_1162959557170470_1214927323_n.jpg (122.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 23032394_1161360580663701_1423150950095461161_n.jpg (87.2 KB, 23 views)
v8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 11:03   #2
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Hey Andrew, if you prefer the performance instead of the sound mount the 140 type box with K&N inside. The original Filter made of paper is good enough, you won't notice which one is in.
regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 12:38   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Oh I love the really old version! That one looks absolutely fantastic, especially being a 2-door.

I have to say this - in my view there is sod all benefit of switching from a single to twin carbs without going to whole effort of changing to the appropriate cam and correct distributor. Sorry about that and I hope you don't think I'm being uncouth by chipping in here.

The full benefit of twins comes in at high rpm and full throttle opening. That's achieved with the appropriate cam for the carbs. The a cam just doesn't and I experimented with twins on an a-cam and the only difference was the massive increase in fuel consumption. I changed back. Twin SU's + proper cam + distributor is a whole different story.

It's just a personal thing, but I love the drive of the single carb cars with the super smooth delivery of low end torque. I don't drive particularly fast.

In my view, an excellent upgrade on that old car is a simple conversion to a single Stromberg - not the later version with the slider thingamer - with a twin downpipe. They are easy to set up, trouble free and super smooth. I expect a massive saving compared to a pair of twins +manifold etc and will save you a whole lot in not having to swam cam, distributor and so on which is a costly project.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 23:16   #4
v8250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Hey Andrew, if you prefer the performance instead of the sound mount the 140 type box with K&N inside. The original Filter made of paper is good enough, you won't notice which one is in.
regards, Kay
Thanks Kay, this is my thinking too though may build a 140 box from alloy as having big black plastic doesn't appeal
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 23:25   #5
v8250

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
Oh I love the really old version! That one looks absolutely fantastic, especially being a 2-door.

I have to say this - in my view there is sod all benefit of switching from a single to twin carbs without going to whole effort of changing to the appropriate cam and correct distributor. Sorry about that and I hope you don't think I'm being uncouth by chipping in here.

The full benefit of twins comes in at high rpm and full throttle opening. That's achieved with the appropriate cam for the carbs. The a cam just doesn't and I experimented with twins on an a-cam and the only difference was the massive increase in fuel consumption. I changed back. Twin SU's + proper cam + distributor is a whole different story.

It's just a personal thing, but I love the drive of the single carb cars with the super smooth delivery of low end torque. I don't drive particularly fast.

In my view, an excellent upgrade on that old car is a simple conversion to a single Stromberg - not the later version with the slider thingamer - with a twin downpipe. They are easy to set up, trouble free and super smooth. I expect a massive saving compared to a pair of twins +manifold etc and will save you a whole lot in not having to swam cam, distributor and so on which is a costly project.
Thanks S&G, this is really good input. My problem is that I have a big LOVE for SU's. Have used them for years and know how to set them up correctly to not suffer increase fuel consumption, nor loss of torque. Understand the cam + distributor note too...I'll be keeping the std a-cam but will be rebuilding and tweaking the distributor/ignition.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 05:25   #6
blueosprey90
Master Member

A fellow named Bebe Bullock (I think that's his name, I can't really remember) is namvet6970 on EBay.

He has some sweet velocity stacks for the HS6 carbs that are designed to run with K&N RU-4410 conical air filters.

I can't find a picture, but see post #13 here to see what they look like. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php...76#msg-2872876

I love the setup and run it on SU H6 carbs. I can pull the air filters off in seconds to get access to the carbs; and I believe the conical filters allow more air flow than do the short pancake type filters.

His current listing on Ebay for the velocity stacks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Alum-Velo...-/202038206635

I suspect that he can provide the RU-4410 air filters, because I bought them from him as a package about 4 years ago. But you can get the filters from other sources.

You will need to do just a little bit of porting of the velocity stacks to match the throat of the carburetors. About 5 minutes worth with a Dremmel tool just to smooth the interface.

I don't think anyone else sells these particular velocity stacks.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Nov 7th, 2017 at 05:33.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 20:28   #7
v8250

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
A fellow named Bebe Bullock (I think that's his name, I can't really remember) is namvet6970 on EBay.

He has some sweet velocity stacks for the HS6 carbs that are designed to run with K&N RU-4410 conical air filters.

I can't find a picture, but see post #13 here to see what they look like. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php...76#msg-2872876

I love the setup and run it on SU H6 carbs. I can pull the air filters off in seconds to get access to the carbs; and I believe the conical filters allow more air flow than do the short pancake type filters.

His current listing on Ebay for the velocity stacks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Alum-Velo...-/202038206635

I suspect that he can provide the RU-4410 air filters, because I bought them from him as a package about 4 years ago. But you can get the filters from other sources.

You will need to do just a little bit of porting of the velocity stacks to match the throat of the carburetors. About 5 minutes worth with a Dremmel tool just to smooth the interface.

I don't think anyone else sells these particular velocity stacks.
Thanks blueosprey, so, velocity stacks...have used these on many SU set ups and if chosen carefully do provide very good results - they work by providing constant smooth[near lamina] flow into the carb'. But there are some shocking designs/claims/prices out there. Interestingly, they can be bought from Rimmer Bros at low cost and produce good results. I first experimented with varying designs when my MGB was in her original incarnation with the 1800 B engine. Surprisingly, the std air boxes with K&N's work very well + with a few secret SU mods. This is the bible for performance SU's and should be on every SU fan's bookshelf

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Power.../dp/1901295141

link to HS6 stacks

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7101

Look here for K&N custom filters...

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/customcarb.aspx

Last edited by v8250; Nov 7th, 2017 at 20:33. Reason: additional info