Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 1.9D - Stalling when trying to accelerate from idle

Views : 1220

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2017, 19:02   #1
cbarrow

Default 2004 1.9D - Stalling when trying to accelerate from idle

I've done a couple of searches on the topic but would be grateful for additional advice.

I changed the oil and filter on my 2004 1.9D last week. Since then, when trying to set off from idle, the engine seems to bog down and then stall. It then restarts fine, and runs ok, then does it again a bit later.

Any advice on the likely culprits, and what to check first, would be much appreciated. The car has done 219k so getting on a bit, but always regularly serviced. I changed the diesel fuel filter and rubber washers last year (at 208k).

Many thanks
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 22:12   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

I doubt if this problem has anything to do with the oil change. It sounds more like fuel or even air filter trouble.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 09:57   #3
NTG

When you did the oil change, is there any chance that you might have dislodged or cracked an old air tube during the intervention? If the problems stared since then, its probably related to something you inadvertently did during the service.
NTG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NTG For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 19:11   #4
cbarrow

it's worth a look and will take the engine cover off at the weekend. I don't understand why it is intermittent though. I'd have thought a busted hose would cause a permanent problem.

I've also bought a fuel pressure regulator (second hand) since some of the searches suggest this could be the culprit. I'm guessing it is an easy unbolt/rebolt procedure?

Does anyone know how to get to check the fuel tank pick up in case there is debris on there?
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 09:12   #5
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I have a similar intermittent issue where it stalls accelerating hard at low revs. Watching this as could be related.

I've tried
Redex
MAF
Fuel filters

Could be fuel regulator as that was replaced with a used part years ago, the fault code that comes up on mine indicates any number of possible causes but all related to fuelling/injectors
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 09:29   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

If the fuel filter and hoses are all OK, then I would get the fault codes read next.

I don't think anyone has had a problem with the fuel pick up in the tank with a diesel.

Last edited by skyship007; Nov 18th, 2017 at 09:31.
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 18:56   #7
cbarrow

Thanks for the post about the fuel pick-up. I was about to search how to check that next. Will get the codes read next as suggested.

I changed the fuel pressure regulator at the weekend (much easier job than anticipated! - which makes a nice change). It hasn't stalled yet, but still feels a bit sluggish under acceleration at times. Also tried some injector cleaner in the tank - probably snake-oil but was worth a shot!

I took the inlet pipe of what looks like the throttle housing at the rear nearside top of the engine (but I think that is the "shut off throttle"? Since it appears fully open with the engine running and is operated by some kind of bellows on the outside). There is a good helping of oily junk in there. I was wondering whether a clogged/sticky EGR may be at fault - but having read the threads about how much fun it is getting the EGR out - I want to exhaust easier options before attempting to tackle the EGR!

Last edited by cbarrow; Nov 21st, 2017 at 18:58.
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 23:28   #8
Nick45

Hi Mate,

Read about my not dissimilar issue here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237088

Cured by replacement fuel rail sensor. Hope helpful.

Best, Nick
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick45 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 10:07   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrow View Post
Thanks for the post about the fuel pick-up. I was about to search how to check that next. Will get the codes read next as suggested.

I changed the fuel pressure regulator at the weekend (much easier job than anticipated! - which makes a nice change). It hasn't stalled yet, but still feels a bit sluggish under acceleration at times. Also tried some injector cleaner in the tank - probably snake-oil but was worth a shot!

I took the inlet pipe of what looks like the throttle housing at the rear nearside top of the engine (but I think that is the "shut off throttle"? Since it appears fully open with the engine running and is operated by some kind of bellows on the outside). There is a good helping of oily junk in there. I was wondering whether a clogged/sticky EGR may be at fault - but having read the threads about how much fun it is getting the EGR out - I want to exhaust easier options before attempting to tackle the EGR!
If the intake is badly fouled up then the EGR will probably need cleaning, although it's rare for a failed or blocked EGR to cause a diesel to stall.
With any modern diesel that develops a fault you really do need to get the codes read once any normal service items have been checked.

Last edited by skyship007; Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:09.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 14:13   #10
gatos
Premier Member

Cleaning the EGR may help. Helping a friend remove his this weekend and I can't say I am excited about it. Dirty horrible job

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote