Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery charging

Views : 2290

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 14:34   #11
upv5
VOC Member

If you only do low mileage especially at this time of year with lights on, heated screens, heated seats etc your battery will get low.
I suggest buying a simple charger from a reputable maker and give it a full charge which may take 24 hours or more. Good ones have polarity protection and an indicator when fully charged. Leave the bonnet ajar for ventilation.
You can safely do this with the battery attached and you are correct it is safer to connect the negative to an earth on the other side of the engine bay, I use the engine lifting eye. Disconnect this first when you remove the charger so if there is a spark it is not next to the battery.
You will probably find you only have to do this once a year as during the summer the electrical loads are much lower.
Batteries do have a limited life but Volvo original and Bosch silver often exceed 10 years if looked after.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 16:34   #12
phil1968
Master Member

I do wonder if you have an underlying problem because I could leave my D5 C70 for up to a month & it always started no problem. And diesels are harder on their batteries than their petrol counterparts

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 11:42   #13
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-C...gAAOSwFp5crVCh
These voltage testers are quite handy to have- a quick & cheerful - economical fitting to have in the car: ~ Bob
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (45.0 KB, 6 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 12:32   #14
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I happened to have use of a newish Fiesta a few weeks back, and it would stop the engine at traffic lights etc, and then restart when you pushed the clutch down. However, all the lights, heaters, audio continued to work even with engine off.
Agreed. Y'know, it really gets on my nerves. In a low battery situation, what I rally want to do is just give all power to the starter motor. But as sooon as you even open the door and reach in to kill the courtesy light, dashboard panel lights which can't be switched off. Can't even ensure the blowers are switched off because it's all electronic and the interface isn't showing yet. Turn the key, sat-nav's, telly screens, etc. All try to switch on sapping the battery of it's last few volts, and in this condition I'm trying to start an engine drawing, what, 80amps at a guess?

I'm pig-sick of "intelligent" cars. I just want everything on a toggle switch, in a bank of switches in the middle of the dashboard. I could tell at a glance which circuits are switch off, if they're all up everything is off. Simple. Honestly, all these features such as automatic rear wipe - why do I want that? What was wrong with a switch and me switching it? Why can't I be the decision-maker and the car just do as it's told. I wish it would stop trying to be clever!
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 12:34   #15
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
We could live with the unnecessary warning but the shut off is totally unacceptable.
However, what can be done about it?
Is it possible to update/amend the software?
Dealer is saying not possible.
Yes you can change the software if you are the original software development company, and can push it through all the test and validation and release channels.

Realistically, that's not going to happen.

I also drive infrequently and have one of these to monitor my XC90 battery:
https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/ctx-battery-sense

And one of these to charge it up overnight once a month or so:
https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

That way I keep my battery in top condition and I know when I should charge it or not.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 18:16   #16
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-C...gAAOSwFp5crVCh
These voltage testers are quite handy to have- a quick & cheerful - economical fitting to have in the car: ~ Bob
Pure coincidence. Have just bought one of those devices which also has twin USB outputs should I need them. Have had it in my 940 for a few days now. Just bought and fitted it out of interest.
Curiously, after standing outside overnight, at first switch on shows only 11.0 volts. Starter operates correctly and engine signs over and starts no problem. When engine running device display varies up and down between 13.2v and 13.4v. Haven’t yet checked to compare it with my battery terminal voltage. I checked my battery terminal voltage with a multimeter a few weeks ago after reading that thread about uprating an alternator. (Yes Dave, I checked and replaced the multimeter batteries but the results were no different.)
Before starting engine: 12.7 v
No electrical load : at idle = 13.73 v
at 1500rpm = 13.73 v
Everything switched on: at idle = 12.4 v but gradually reducing.
at 1500 rpm = 12.9 v
After testing battery = 12.38 v
Charged overnight with very basic charger, started at 1.9 amp.
Following morning charger showing 1.0 amp.
When disconnected battery voltage = 12.38 v same as before charging.
Car has never refused to turn over normally and has started easily as usual.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 23:42   #17
StanC
'Mature' Member

My 1996 960 gets a 50 mile run once a fortnight. The rest of the time it sits in the garage connected to a CTEK smart charger. The present battery, a Bosch, is 15 years old and (touch wood) is still working like new.

Some test work I did a few years ago, which led to me buying the smart charger, showed that when the car is parked-up in the garage with everything, including the alarm, switched off the drain on the battery is about 40 mA. This drain is mainly down to the ECU, the clock, the radio code and the electric seat memory function. The drain of 40 mA might not sound much, but it equates to 1 Ah per 24 hours that the car is parked, or 7 Ah per week. On a 77 Ah battery that's not much but when the car is parked for a fortnight at a time even a long-ish run might not put back 14 Ah of charge and the battery slowly discharges over a period of months. And when a battery sits in a partially discharged state for weeks on end it loses its ability to accept charge, which results in a vicious circle, with the battery charge spiralling downwards. With the battery permanently connected to a smart charger this doesn't happen and the battery is maintained almost like new.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 11:33   #18
green van man
Premier Member

Mmm. My xc70 sits on the drive for months, gets a run of 186 miles then sits for another couple of months. Not failed to start yet and not had low volts warning. Battery probably original and 10 years old but defiantly 6 because I've not put a new battery on it.

Only time I've had a problem is when I've left the lights on , mine can be switched off on the switch but that means if you leave side lights on its a flat battery, then overnight charge and all is good again.

Never had a problem with batteries on my volvos, 460, S40 V70 or XC70. Yes they eventually wore out and needed replacing but ongoing problems no. Prehaps my likeing of poverty spec cars has something to do with it. All the toys are just more things to go wrong.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:02   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
In 42 years of car ownership - at that includes more than a dozen Volvos - I've never had to give a car battery regular top up charges. Of course I've bought new batteries - I had to get one last week for my 97 S90 as it happens - but I've always regarded the battery as "service consumable" - a bit like tyres, brakes and exhausts. Something that will last a good while, but not for the life of the car.

I do wonder about cars with automatic stop-start systems though. I happened to have use of a newish Fiesta a few weeks back, and it would stop the engine at traffic lights etc, and then restart when you pushed the clutch down. However, all the lights, heaters, audio continued to work even with engine off. I guess that engineers cleverer than me have thought it all through, but I could quite believe that a car with this technology used predominantly in slow traffic would tend to go through batteries rather more quickly than cars without.

Jack
The main battery is an AGM battery , well up to te task , and when you are stopped with all the electrics draining , the power comes from a small secondary battery :-)
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:04   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
In 42 years of car ownership - at that includes more than a dozen Volvos - I've never had to give a car battery regular top up charges. Of course I've bought new batteries - I had to get one last week for my 97 S90 as it happens - but I've always regarded the battery as "service consumable" - a bit like tyres, brakes and exhausts. Something that will last a good while, but not for the life of the car.

I do wonder about cars with automatic stop-start systems though. I happened to have use of a newish Fiesta a few weeks back, and it would stop the engine at traffic lights etc, and then restart when you pushed the clutch down. However, all the lights, heaters, audio continued to work even with engine off. I guess that engineers cleverer than me have thought it all through, but I could quite believe that a car with this technology used predominantly in slow traffic would tend to go through batteries rather more quickly than cars without.

Jack
If volvos are stored for any reason volvo recommend a top up charge every 3 months , you should not need a charger on there every week ...

Tags
battery charge, low battery