Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 missfire.

Views : 666

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 19:27   #1
billythreepuds

Default S40 missfire.

Hi, can anyone advise me as to what a fuel modulator is and what role it plays in the fireing of the engine.The car went in for a compression test etc, for a missfire in cylinder No3, thinking a valve or HT leads etc but a compression test was fine. The mechanic has now told me that there is an electrical fault and the Engine management system is telling him fuel modulator. I am now waiting for an Auto electricians report but i would like to know what a modulator is and where i find it and what it does. in anticipation of you help Thanks...billythreepuds
billythreepuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 23:04   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

What year is your car and is it a turbo by any chance,

The earlier s/v40 turbos suffer alot from fuel pump failure, carn't get enough fuel to engine hence the misfire under load
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 23:16   #3
thebigv
Master Member

I had a similar problem with a misfire under load and was told it was the modulator or fuel pump (£250) from volvo. I took it home, pulled the fuel pump out of the tank, cleaned the two absolutely disgusting fuel filters volvo told me were NOT there and it has been fine ever since. Dont know if yours is the same problem but volvo denied my car had filters in the tank. Mine is a 1.9 T4 on a T plate. The filters are plastic mesh and stop the major crud getting into the pump and lines etc. Hope this helps.
thebigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 19:23   #4
SteveP
300 Maniac

Sounds very similar to my S40... how do you take the pump/filters out? I don't have a Haynes to consult as yet
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 22:33   #5
wa666ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Sounds very similar to my S40... how do you take the pump/filters out? I don't have a Haynes to consult as yet
check here: http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...f3ba07454a3ab3
wa666ou is offline   Reply With Quote