Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 - Problems heater blower/self levelling HIDs

Views : 582

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:03   #1
T4R

Default V40 T4 - Problems heater blower/self levelling HIDs

I bought one of the first phase II V40s in the country in July 2000, and being a salesmans dream, I specified almost all available options. The car has served me well, having covered almost 120K and still going strong-ish. I do have a couple of problems, however. The first is the heater blower motor doesn't blow or motor any more. I've checked the fuse in the drivers footwell and it's OK, so it's either the motor or possibly the switch that has gone I presume. Could it be anything else ?

Additionally, I specified HID headlights when I bought the car. They are meant to have a self leveling function, which I believe is a legal requirement. Since he problem with the blower started, the dipped beam concentrates light just in front of the car, rather than the nice even spread it had before. Could these two issues be linked and/or is there an easy we to diagnose or resolve them, other than buying a new Volvo ?

I'd very much appreciate any advice before I go and **** anything up.

Many thanks in advance.
T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 20:24   #2
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing. The heater / blower issue is quite common and generally the result of one of two things:

1. The blower rheostat has failed. This is a cheap part and is easy to replace; its located where the blower is, behind the trim just above the passenger footwell. To me, the symptoms you describe point to this.

2. The ECC panel is itself on its way out (failure of the electronics or switches on the integrated panel). This is very expensive as you need a replacement panel which costs in excess of £400.

As for the HIDS, I doubt is a problem with the level sensor, which is located on the nearside cross member on the rear axle. If the headlamp beam is actually concentrated in a patch just in front of the bumper, rather than lighting up the area in front of the car, its more likely that the reflector has "fallen off" the ratchet mechanism for headlamp adjustment. Locate the adjustment port on the top of the headlamp; use an allen key of the correct size and turn it anti-clockwise until you hear and feel a "click". Then turn the key clockwise and the beam will start to move upwards. Continue the adjustment until the beam height is suitable.

If what I've said does not make sense, if you're ever passing the M4/M5 junction, I would gladly have a look and see if we can sort it out.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 19:57   #3
T4R

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for your help. I'm going along with the assumption that it's the resistor that's at fault, although I'm struggling to identify it currently. Could you possibly let me know how it is marked, if at all ? The replacement from Volvo for the whole unit is something over £210 + VAT, money I'd rather spend towards new tyres and high performance brake pads.

The problem with the HIDs has cured itself and it's no longer creating a laser like dot on the tarmc immediately in front of the car.

Thank you again for your help.
T4R is offline   Reply With Quote