Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Immobiliser problem - V40

Views : 730

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 16:14   #1
Johnt71

Default Immobiliser problem - V40

I have a V40 2001 model with the 1.8 GDI engine. I drove it for a couple of miles this morning, sat with the radio on but engine off for 15 minutes and then went to start it and the engine wouldn't fire and the engine light was flashing on the dash. The RAC chap checked for fuel but there was no pressure. Towed it to the local Volvo garage assuming the immobiliser has kicked in.
This is the second time this has happened. The first time was a few years agoand the garage put it down to a sticking throttle!

Does any one have a view on why this might happen? Is it a common problem? Is there any way of resetting the immobiliser without the need to use a Volvo dealer?

Any help gratefully received.
I'll post more when the dealer get back to me Monday!
Johnt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 16:49   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

was the immobiliser light flashing or the engine managment light?
Yes the throttle spindle can siexe on these but it should fire up . it is possible toi free them off internaly ...
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 17:23   #3
Johnt71

It was the engine management light.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 17:51   #4
Johnt71

The car is now with the mechanic at a main dealers and the early feedback is that the throttle is sticking, "might need a new one" was the quote!
The last time this occured they put it down to the throttle sticking but cleaned it. I did take a look at it a few weeks ago due to the excessive idle speed when cold and yes it was a bit sticky but hen it has been like this for months. Why would it suddenly upset the engine mangt system?

Is this a known problem? Can the throttle body be cleaned? Any one know how much a new throttle body is likely to be?

Any help gratefully received.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 18:53   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

A new one is likely to be £500 ( you have a Mitsubishi engine ) so worth dismantling and freeing off the throttle shaft ! It happens sometimes , it is not the normal "throttle clean" thing it is the throttle spindle stiff in it's bush so the spindle needs removing and freeing off .
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 20:13   #6
Johnt71

Thanks for reply. The service guy made the comment it is a sealed unit! Can the unit be dismantled? Is it debris in the spindle bush? I notice they have vertical spindle so can see the lower bush collecting all the rubbish!

Lets hope they can get it working I don't have £500 to spare at this time!