Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'88 740 SE Exhaust compatability

Views : 407

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2021, 16:45   #1
xtDANIELODONNELLx

Default '88 740 SE Exhaust compatability

My exhaust has seen better days, I think to a point where I'm going to replace everything from the downpipe to the rear box. My model has no cat and it's proving difficult enough to find the right pre silencer for it. I noticed the middle silencer of the 2.4 diesel model looks similar just with a much longer pipe on the front end that looks like it bolts onto the flange fitting of the downpipe. I'm wondering if it would be possible to install one of them on my 2.3 B230k model essentially deleting the pre silencer, but I'm not sure if this is possible or if the middle silencer will sit where it needs to be mounted correctly; so the connector to the backbox clears the rear axle properly.

Any thoughts? Am I being stupid? Or is this a viable option? cheers!

**NB** - If anyone knows the bolt size to fit the downpipe to the manifold that'd be a big help too, might as well replace them for new ones while I'm at it, thanks.

Last edited by xtDANIELODONNELLx; Dec 14th, 2021 at 18:00.
xtDANIELODONNELLx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xtDANIELODONNELLx For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 18:03   #2
xtDANIELODONNELLx

Basically I'm asking if it seems viable to replace VOL3016 and VOL3001 in the diagram pictured to the photo pictures, which is for an 86 - 87 740 diesel

Old Dec 15th, 2021, 14:24   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It probably could be made to fit but you might find the front pipes are a different diameter on the diseasel.

Can you clarify the year and engine code, whether manual or auto and saloon or estate please? From the info i found in your post and guessing it's an estate, i've found this as being the correct system for your car :

The most obvious differences are the pipe sizes on the diseasel one you've found - they need 60mm clamps instead of 54mm clamps!

Ebay should reveal sources of the right bits if you type in the various Klarius part numbers such as VO132K etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 15:06   #4
xtDANIELODONNELLx

Hi Dave!

You're teaching me everything on this site by the looks of things! It's a 1988 SE with a B230K and it's the estate model, manual transmission.

Cheers,
Billy

Last edited by xtDANIELODONNELLx; Dec 15th, 2021 at 15:19.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xtDANIELODONNELLx For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 15:18   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtDANIELODONNELLx View Post
Hi Dave!

You're teaching me everything on this site by the looks of things! It's a 1988 SE with a B230K and it's the estate model.

Cheers,
Billy
You're welcome Billy, looks like i guessed right with the system you should have fitted, however a quick visual check underneath should confirm it.

However someone may have changed what it should have to a "mix'n'match" system so if it looks different, either order all the parts listed in that pictogram or double check exactly what should be on there.

That was the only listing i could find for the B230K for up to 1988 and none after, they did change exhausts slightly in 1988 or at least did on the B230E so i've always looked at it as a changeover year and had to double check things.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 15:26   #6
xtDANIELODONNELLx

Thanks a lot Dave!

It does look like that system underneath, but the hangers on the rear box kept snapping off and the middle silencer looked like there was inventive welding. Also the flange is missing at the front and replaced with a connector tube from the downpipe to the front silencer. My worry was that one of the previous owners or their mechanic was having similar trouble to me finding the correct silencer and had to make do with what they could get. But I guess they were just repairing holes instead of replacing the parts.

I really appreciate all your advice and help. I'm going to get the parts I need ordered here today.
The Following User Says Thank You to xtDANIELODONNELLx For This Useful Post: