Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

iPod issues

Views : 7707

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2011, 21:13   #1
mwas123

Default iPod issues

I picked up my brand new XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium yesterday, and I already have a problem with the iPod compatibility.

My iphone interfaces ok and I can see all the folders, playlists etc, and once you plug it in it works fine. But then the sounds cuts out, typically after a couple of minutes playing as it should. The track keeps on playing, its just that you can't hear anything. You then disconnect and connect again, and it does exactly the same thing.

I have just updated to iOS 5 for IPhone, but it was playing up before that, so I don't think its a phone software issue.

I am connecting through the USB port, using a standard Apple jack.

Anyone else had this? Anyone know a solution? Or do I just have to go back to the dealer?

Not a great start to Volvo ownership, and there were a couple of other electric glitches as well, but this aside it seems a great car.

Last edited by mwas123; Oct 14th, 2011 at 22:24.
mwas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 18:31   #2
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

What happens if you turn off/on the radio leaving the iPhone plugged in? Also, do you have another 'iThing' you can plug in and see if the fault is replicated?
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 22:08   #3
jgv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwas123 View Post
I picked up my brand new XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium yesterday, and I already have a problem with the iPod compatibility.

My iphone interfaces ok and I can see all the folders, playlists etc, and once you plug it in it works fine. But then the sounds cuts out, typically after a couple of minutes playing as it should. The track keeps on playing, its just that you can't hear anything. You then disconnect and connect again, and it does exactly the same thing.

I have just updated to iOS 5 for IPhone, but it was playing up before that, so I don't think its a phone software issue.

Anyone else had this? Anyone know a solution? Or do I just have to go back to the dealer?

Not a great start to Volvo ownership, and there were a couple of other electric glitches as well, but this aside it seems a great car.
Hi,

I have the same problem, but I do think it is a phone software issue: it used to work fine with ios4 but I upgraded to ios5 and it has not worked any more.

It is exactly as you explained: it keeps on playing for about two minutes and then you can not hear it any more though it continues playing.

I think it is a problem with bluetooth and streaming: I tried to unlink bluetooth and then it worked again (but obviously I can't use the free-hand function, so it is not a solution!!!)

I hope Apple will solve it soon, as I can't see any other solution...
jgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 06:37   #4
NellW

I have had a few issues with my iPod & iPhone connecting over the 14 months I've had the XC60. In increasing order of difficulty here's the fixes:
1. Make sure that the IPod isn't sitting on the dock connector or it is fully plugged in. This was making mine miss tracks and jump, like a scratched record.
2. Shut down the iPod and restart it. I had to do this as the dash display didn't match the iPod output.
3. Revert back to an earlier version of IOS that did work, the instructions are on this forum in a thread about IOS4. Quite afew people had to do this one a while back.
NellW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 09:40   #5
mwas123

Odd isn't it, that in the IOS 5 thread, everyone else seems to be reporting no problems. I will give my wife's iPhone which still has ios 4 a go and that should tell us.

If it is IOS 5 though, a quick look on the Internet show that it may be difficult to roll back to 4.3. Agh!
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 17:27   #6
scw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwas123 View Post

I can confirm this behaviour on the Sensus cars with iOS 5 on an iPod Touch. However, this happens only in specific circumstances...

You must connect the iPod using the USB cable. You must also have previously paired your iPod over Bluetooth with the car (so you can stream wirelessly - which actually works really well, even artist/track names are displayed).

With the iPod playing through USB (Media->iPod in the Sensus menu), switch on the iPod to see the "External Accessory" screen. There may well be a small icon in the black bar at the bottom of the screen. Tapping this will bring up a menu where you can select "Dock Connector" or "My Volvo Car". The former is the USB connection, the latter the Bluetooth media connection.

When the iPod audio stops, I've noticed the iPod automatically switches to "My Volvo Car" but immediately pauses. Manually selecting "Dock Connector" restores audio for another 30-60 seconds.

So it looks like there's some kind of priority thing going on here, where if your iOS 5 device (and this probably affects the iPhone too) is both paired over Bluetooth and hooked up over USB then they contend with each other.

I have no idea if this is a Sensus bug or some new iOS 5 bug.

Steve
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 17:39   #7
jgv

Exactly, that's it! Perfectly described.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 20:13   #8
mwas123

Looks like Steve was spot on- instead of pairing to my iPhone this morning, I instead paired to my work Blackberry, and now the iPod interface works as it should.

An annoyance, but one i can live with. Hopefully it is a IOS issue and will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks Steve for your insight!
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 20:48   #9
jgv

Today I have changed my iPhone with my father's one (which has not been upgraded to iOS5) and I have restarted it completely, so I'm working now in iOS4.3.5 with no problem with the car: iPod and bluetooth work simultaneously and perfectly!

So I can definetely say it is a iOS5 problem. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 20:41   #10
andy.cass
Kendo

I have the same issue as above with my 3GS on IOS5. Only works when the blue tooth is dissabled. Previously, when I connected the iPhone I would get no sound as now, but by removing and then refitting the USB cable I would get sound again until the ignition is off. Now like you say it cuts out after a minute or so. Not a problem normally as I have an iPod classic permanently in the cubby, but when I need to charge the phone and play tunes, no music. The Bluetooth streaming works fine but you can't use play lists.

11.5My XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium, Geartronic, Savile Grey, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Prem Audio with Sub, tow bar.
10MY 2009 XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto
2008 Mini Cooper
andy.cass is offline   Reply With Quote