Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Nav Maps are here

Views : 23571

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 14:34   #1
goodinr
White D5 AWD RDesign Auto

Default New Nav Maps are here

My Map updates just came in the post this morning , you have to go on line to obtain the activation code to install them on the sensus system, which was pretty straightforward.
I then downloaded the instructions for installation, My god who designed this system ?. It will take 5 hours to install the update and it only does so when the engine is running.
Has anybody done this update as it could take several days to get through this process if it pauses every time the engine stops.
Ron.
goodinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 17:47   #2
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

Unbelievable. 5 hours to update maps........ what a joke.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 18:13   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMercR View Post
Unbelievable. 5 hours to update maps........ what a joke.
it can take a long time just to re load the sensus software , , it isnt just the maps it updates but firmware too, it has to transfer 8 gb of data to the built in hard disk and car electrical systems are not PC's .
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 18:33   #4
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
it can take a long time just to re load the sensus software , , it isnt just the maps it updates but firmware too, it has to transfer 8 gb of data to the built in hard disk and car electrical systems are not PC's .
in which case, the set up isn't fit for purpose. if it really is 5 hours, for whatever reason, it's very, very poor. thankfully, this time, i'm on the old dvd system. 5 mins tops.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 18:39   #5
goodinr

Default update

I,ve started in on the process and its taken 3 hrs to get the first of the 4 discs onto the system, hope it doesnt totaly screw up my sensus system.
Its now saying next disc will take 1.5 hrs. I will keep you up to date on how it all goes. Ron.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 19:23   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This works out at less than 500KB/s which a bit of string with 2 tin cans either end could achieve more efficiently.

A video DVD has the same amount of data, the transfer is faster and even when the transfer is slowed down to allow people to watch it since they could not watch it at the speed that the data could be transferred. it should take about 5 mins to transfer 8GB of data.

As has been said by Darbs, this is appalling and I for one would not consider it acceptable - glad I have the antiquated slow system that updates in 5 mins.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 20:25   #7
scw

Makes me wonder if this is the reason for the delay in releasing the updates for Sensus-equipped cars; they've been too embarrassed up 'til now. But it's got to the point where there's no alternative but to push the stuff out.

I tried starting the update without sparking up the engine - it works, but I stopped it after an hour or so to avoid draining the battery. Since I currently work from home, it'll take me about a month to apply the update at this rate.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 20:59   #8
BInary_Sleuth

Talking

Well, I wasn't expecting to get these today, but thank goodness they arrived on a Saturday - otherwise I'd have had to wait all week to install them :smile: And yes, it really has taken over 5 hours to install (I went for a sight seeing drive around London coz there didn't seem much point having the engine running in the garage for no reason!). The process was really buggy - it took several attempts to get the Sensus system to recognises that I'd inserted the disk - and I had to switch it off a few times, and switch the engine off and on again to get it to ask for the activation code - and the third and fourth dics didn't start automatically, so I had to go through the switch on, switch off process again - What a pain in the ****.

Well, it's done now - haven't noticed any differences yet though!
BInary_Sleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:08   #9
goodinr

Default map update

Sdf\arqwrqr

Last edited by goodinr; Apr 14th, 2012 at 21:18.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:15   #10
goodinr

Default map update

I could keep the update going by doing the long press on the sensus on button (switching system on)but if you are not running the engine it cuts out every 15 minutes or so and you have to start it again with the long press.
as regards not recognising the disc if you leave it to do its thing it takes an age to recognise the disc in the drive, the first time I inserted a disc I thought nothing was happening but after about a minute or so it kicked into life. (watched kettle and all that).
Ill see if I can finish the install in the morning. Ron.