Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

modern Volvos as load-luggers?

Views : 2783

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2014, 16:40   #1
stephend
Premier Member

Default modern Volvos as load-luggers?

I was helping some friends who are planning to buy a bigger car, and we spent a bit of time looking at nearly-new V70s and V50s.

I was expecting the V70 to be a bit less spacious than my old 740, and it seems to be. But what really shocked me was the V50: the load area seems really small, quite a bit smaller than my (old-type) V40.

All in all, it seems to me that if you want a load-lugging estate these days, Skoda is the new Volvo!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2014, 20:48   #2
oldgreybloke
Master Member

The problem with a lot of current estates is the desire to replicate a coupe style. So while they look pretty, the space is compromised if you want to get something big and square in it. I took out the rear seat and had a complete single divan bed, with drawer base, in the back of my P2. Shop manager was flabbergasted (what a wonderful word that is).
Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat
oldgreybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldgreybloke For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2014, 22:44   #3
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Talking load lugger

Glad I still have my 21 year old 240 ! Today managed all my usual boot full of tools, 2 large party tables inside and a double extending ladder on the full length roof rack. Not to forget the 12 garden chairs in the small trailer. Not exactly economical but does the job admirably

regards, Richard.
93240se is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 93240se For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 00:00   #4
James_N
VOC Member

Modern Volvo's nowadays are useless for load lugging, much like any other estate. Like someone else said, its not the actual loadspace, but the shape of the rear hatch.

This is a V60:

compare this with a 940:

You wouldn't get half of that stuff into the back of thr V60, and certainly wouldn't get the sofa in it that I was transporting last week in the back of my 940
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 00:21   #5
Palmer
Premier Member

Wish volvo would go back to 940 era. Build a boxy estate with a nice lump in.

On other notes ive had a 2 seater sofa in the back of me old 940. And shut the boot lol
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Palmer For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 09:30   #6
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I think you are correct but equally I don't think Volvo had a choice. Their rivals, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, were chucking out "lifestyle" estates for fun whilst the huge estates that Volvo were producing were not moving in sufficient numbers. The V50 and V60 came along to plug that gap. The V70 still exists, great car, great load lugger, but for many it is too big and that is why the V50 and V60 existed/exists.

I had a V60 for two years and it was ideal for my needs. I would not have bought a V70. If the V60 did not exist then I probably would have gone for an Octavia estate which is vast but still not as big and heavy as a V70. The Octavia and Superb are excellent cars and Volvo need to keep an eye on Skoda as they are very real rivals for them.
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 10:36   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

The current V70 is still quite capable, but is not the vast chasm of Volvo's of old! You can still fit in a washing machine without having to drop the rear seats!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131110_143001[1].jpg (205.3 KB, 39 views)

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 11:50   #8
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
The current V70 is still quite capable, but is not the vast chasm of Volvo's of old! You can still fit in a washing machine without having to drop the rear seats!
Truly a measure of a car's usefulness!

Got a whole B&Q bathroom suite in a 240 once- a bit tight but ok.

Of course, to go forwards look backwards- I give you the Volvo Duett.

anything after that is a toy.

Last edited by heckflosse; Jul 28th, 2014 at 12:00. Reason: spelling
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 19:05   #9
BarryK
40 years with Volvo

Since 1975 we have owned 2*240's, 2*740's, a 760, a 960 and a 940 which is just being retired after 12 years. For much of that time we owned very large dogs which were quite happy in the back. We now have a V70III D5 and I find this every bit as powerful and capable as the earlier cars. This year we have driven to the south of Italy and back (~7,000 miles), and found it to be very spacious, comfortable and relaxing to drive when fully loaded. We did avoid buying the earlier V70's because they were lacking in space for the dogs, that was the reason for keeping the 940 for so long.
I feel that the D5 is the correct engine for long distance use and am not impressed with the later economy models.
BarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 00:12   #10
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
You wouldn't get half of that stuff into the back of thr V60, and certainly wouldn't get the sofa in it that I was transporting last week in the back of my 940
An Amazon estate can swallow a large two seater sofa, AND a matching armchair. The split tailgate extends the loadbay, and when the bottom tailgate is lowered, the numberplate hinges round, so it is legal to be driven like that. Extends the loadbay by a very useful amount. It will also take considerably more weight in the back than my aunt's now defunct 965, and still be less tail down. Oh, and it is shorter than a V50...

I've also had four adults in the car, and three full size bikes in the boot at the same time - back seat NOT folded. Ok, so we did take the wheels off, but there was still sufficient length to accommodate the frames & forks.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Jul 29th, 2014 at 00:15.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post: