Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do I remove V50 T5 tow bar

Views : 2022

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2015, 15:33   #1
mpaver

Question How do I remove V50 T5 tow bar

Hi guys, tried searching the web & forums but couldn't find a simple answer.

How can I remove the tow bar + power that my V50 has come with? Will likely never use it, and it's just adding weight and is one more thing to go wrong at some point.

I can see there are 4 big bolts holding the bar itself on, but realised the power goes up into the car somewhere and I don't want to start playing with that before seeking some advice.

Attached a couple of images in case it helps.

Cheers, Matt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150228_11_14_46_Pro.jpg (99.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150228_11_15_04_Pro.jpg (59.1 KB, 22 views)
mpaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 18:20   #2
Tony500
Master Member

Will have to remove your bumper.

You will see it going into a box section and bolts(4 of them) at the inside securing the full tow bar. Straight forward once you have the bumper off
Tony500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 19:04   #3
kenny
Master Member

If you go to any of the big tow are sites you can down load fitting instructions for your car, this will tell you how to remove bumper etc, just reverse the bit about fitting the bar.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 19:40   #4
mpaver

Damn, was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Looks like its staying on for a while. Cheers anyway though.
mpaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 20:08   #5
tomweston

Default Tow bar

I fitted a witter tow bar to both my S40s which is probably similar. To remove it you need to remove the rear bumper, there are about 5 screws on each rear wheel arch, about 2 on top ot the bumper and about 2 on the lower edge. Once removed you pull out the top bumper edge at each rear wheel arch and then pull the entire bumper back away from the car, two people are best for this. then remove the bolts from the tow bar and maybe a couple each side along the chasis rails. It is not hard, just logical. Takes about an hour and a half from start to finish. Re fitting the bumper needs care so as not to damage the paint, again two people are really needed. It helps to lift the back of the car on ramps. Wiring, if fitted, should just unplug inside the boot.

Hope that helps.
tomweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 12:30   #6
meanchris

Is that a removable Witter towbar, like mine?

If so you can remove the projecting part, but still retain the facility if you need a towcar.

You could also ebay the full setup, they're worth quite a bit to someone who wants one.

meanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 23:13   #7
glegalee

Hi, I fitted an after market towbar and electrics to my S40 recently, removing the bumper was very easy, a few screws to take out in each rear wheel well (torx), 2 under the bumper at the rear (Torx) and 2 inside the boot probably under the plastic that hides the metal body work and boot latch (Torx). To remove the inner plastics, squeeze the 2 halves of the grey retaining clips together and pull out gently, DO NOT PRY THEM OUT! The wiring is all located under the drivers side boot liner near where the access pannel for the drivers side rear lights are (drivers side UK that is), you'll need to remove the polystyrene spare wheel surround for access behind this trim, to do this unscrew the black circles with a screwdriver, DO NOT PRY THEM OUT! Please click the link below for some instructions on aftermarket wiring system and basically follow them backwards to remove the stuff. If you have genuine Volvo wiring and dealer programming done on your ECU then do not use these instructions as an aid to removal!!!

http://www.towbarsdirect.co.uk/images/19260511RC.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers G.
glegalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 12:56   #8
alexstanleyv50

If you do decide to get it off I would be interested in buying it off you for the right price!

Just pm me if you ever go down that route.....

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar, tow, tow bar, v50