Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Very light sensitive steering

Views : 1297

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:32   #11
ciderman

Default steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
You need to distinguish between lightness that might originate from a lack of self centering in the steering versus excessive play in the steering which results is a dead / floaty zone of steering response.

You appear to have addressed most of the sources of excessive steering system play. You said you changed the steering box. Since vintage Volvo steering boxes are out of production does that mean you replaced the box with another used box or you attempted a partial rebuild? Play in vintage Volvo steering boxes is a fairly well known issue and can to a certain extent can be improved with the pitman arm adjustment screw which grj0 refers to. Be careful with that adjustment as excessively tight can contribute to more steering box wear. The service manual describes the correct procedure for setting the adjustment.

Vintage Volvos run with the minimum amount of caster that is probably safe because of the lack power steering. Your caster angles are much more positive than factory spec which should be safe because it provides more self centering action at highway speeds; however, I expect that your steering when parking the car must now be rather heavy. Modern cars typically run with > +5 deg caster; but, have power steering to compensate for that. Your caster should be contributing to a car that has a fair amount of self centering in the steering at highway speeds. The normal tolerance for difference in the left - right caster values is 1/2 degree. Your difference is excessive. A significant difference in caster causes the car to pull to the side with less caster. People who race cars that only turn left (stock car racers) will set the steering up with differential caster. I assume you are not going oval track racing so this is not a desirable feature for you. However, aside from the tendency to pull and probably increase tire wear I don't know that the caster differential is causing overly light steering.

The seized upper wishbone bolt comment has me confused. Do you mean the actual wishbone pivot bolt has seized? If so and this means that the upper wishbone is not free to move that would create too many unknown steering effects. If what you mean is that the bolt for the adjustment shim at the upper wishbone pivot point is seized (which is responsible for your caster mis match) I don't think that is the cause of your overly light steering. If it is the adjustment bolt that is seized then you do need to disassemble that side so that you can extract and replace the bolt by whatever means so that you can get the caster values to match. I would be inclined to limit my caster experiments to +3 deg or less because increased caster will cause increased load on the steering box during low speed steering which will contribute to steering box wear which is something you need to avoid with the vintage steering box.

Aside from your caster mismatch, your caster values suggest that the car should have good self centering / tracking at highway speeds. All the other alignment values are consistent with Volvo specs. You could try a little more positive toe; but, this does tend to increase tire wear.

So, first thing I would check is the amount of play in the steering box just because that is the easiest thing to check. It may not be completely fixable; but, you may be able to minimize it with the correct adjustment of the pitman arm shaft adjustment screw. You need to fix the seized bolt which I assume is the shim adjustment bolt because a seized wishbone pivot should not have made it through any kind of MOT inspection.
I think we have looked at most of that- we have a collection of historic vehicles and they all steer better than my estate- even with excessive play...... I think equalising the caster may be the next factor to attack. trouble is now it is so muddy we cannot get to the workshop!

Last edited by ciderman; Mar 4th, 2024 at 09:40.
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:33   #12
ciderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr0 View Post
Is the preload on the steering shaft at the gearbox correct ? What happens if you tighten the adjustment screw an 1/8 turn ?
I have been told to loosen it by local volvo man but his vehicle feel sloppy BUT, run ok at speed..
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:35   #13
ciderman

Default steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
You have this castor adjustment across both wheels then a secondary adjustment to get them the same, this is done with the two bolts and shims, which bolt is seized?
I will have to look, It is a while since we did it.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:37   #14
ciderman

Default steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
If you are in Worcester, UK midlands, you are welcome to come round to mine, near Droitwich, see what we can find. Regards, Andy.
hi Andy
Could you send me your contact details
Steve
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:39   #15
ciderman

Default Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
From the green book KPI should be 8 degree and castor 0 to 1 degree +- 1 degree
When you say light steering what exactly do you mean? Is it very responsive to any input? Does it self align back to straight or do you have to steer it back
It sounds like not enough castor but the numbers are way more
Have these readings come from an alignment jig ? Or home done?
we had it set up on 4 way jig and these figures come from home workshop measurements.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:42   #16
ciderman

Default steering

Quote:
You need to distinguish between lightness that might originate from a lack of self centering in the steering versus excessive play in the steering which results is a dead / floaty zone of steering response.

You appear to have addressed most of the sources of excessive steering system play. You said you changed the steering box. Since vintage Volvo steering boxes are out of production does that mean you replaced the box with another used box or you attempted a partial rebuild? Play in vintage Volvo steering boxes is a fairly well known issue and can to a certain extent can be improved with the pitman arm adjustment screw which grj0 refers to. Be careful with that adjustment as excessively tight can contribute to more steering box wear. The service manual describes the correct procedure for setting the adjustment.

Vintage Volvos run with the minimum amount of caster that is probably safe because of the lack power steering. Your caster angles are much more positive than factory spec which should be safe because it provides more self centering action at highway speeds; however, I expect that your steering when parking the car must now be rather heavy. Modern cars typically run with > +5 deg caster; but, have power steering to compensate for that. Your caster should be contributing to a car that has a fair amount of self centering in the steering at highway speeds. The normal tolerance for difference in the left - right caster values is 1/2 degree. Your difference is excessive. A significant difference in caster causes the car to pull to the side with less caster. People who race cars that only turn left (stock car racers) will set the steering up with differential caster. I assume you are not going oval track racing so this is not a desirable feature for you. However, aside from the tendency to pull and probably increase tire wear I don't know that the caster differential is causing overly light steering.

The seized upper wishbone bolt comment has me confused. Do you mean the actual wishbone pivot bolt has seized? If so and this means that the upper wishbone is not free to move that would create too many unknown steering effects. If what you mean is that the bolt for the adjustment shim at the upper wishbone pivot point is seized (which is responsible for your caster mis match) I don't think that is the cause of your overly light steering. If it is the adjustment bolt that is seized then you do need to disassemble that side so that you can extract and replace the bolt by whatever means so that you can get the caster values to match. I would be inclined to limit my caster experiments to +3 deg or less because increased caster will cause increased load on the steering box during low speed steering which will contribute to steering box wear which is something you need to avoid with the vintage steering box.

Aside from your caster mismatch, your caster values suggest that the car should have good self centering / tracking at highway speeds. All the other alignment values are consistent with Volvo specs. You could try a little more positive toe; but, this does tend to increase tire wear.

So, first thing I would check is the amount of play in the steering box just because that is the easiest thing to check. It may not be completely fixable; but, you may be able to minimize it with the correct adjustment of the pitman arm shaft adjustment screw. You need to fix the seized bolt which I assume is the shim adjustment bolt because a seized wishbone pivot should not have made it through any kind of MOT inspection.
hi,
we attempted to increase caster to improve steering. when I got the car 28 years ago it had negative caster one side and positive the other- BUT- within spec! And it drove awfully.
so we corrected that and all was fine then about 10 years ago we started with this light steering- runs straight- no drift but you can steer with one finger touching the wheel. I begged the MOT test garage to find something wrong- they couldn't. so we replaced components and angles and had it checked by various dealers but no culprit found. we have kit to measure angles and are still baffled. Wife refuses to drive it as it is so sensitive... unlike me!

Last edited by ciderman; Mar 4th, 2024 at 09:45.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:44   #17
ciderman

Default steering

Quote:

hi,
we attempted to increase caster to improve steering. when i got the car 28 years ago it had negative caster one side and positive the other- BUT- within spec!
so we corrected that and all was fine then about 10 years ago we started with this light steering- runs straight- no drift but you can steer with one finger touching the wheel. I begged the MOT test garage to find something wrong- they couldn't. so we replaced components and angles and had it checked by various dealers but no culprit found. we have kit to measure angles and are still baffled. Wife refuses to drive it as it is so sensitive... unlike me!
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:45   #18
ciderman

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
If you are in Worcester, UK midlands, you are welcome to come round to mine, near Droitwich, see what we can find. Regards, Andy.
where are you?
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 12:52   #19
old fart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciderman View Post
hi Andy
Could you send me your contact details
Steve
Hi Steve, give me ring on 07533363572.
Cheers, Andy.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 18:12   #20
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think my Estate is set up correctly and steering is light at speed. Fingertip at 70 on a smooth uncambered road and gets even lighter if you go faster! With the big steering wheel it accentuates the lightness but you need that below about 10mph and when turning around in the road. It may not be abnormal on your car. Don't overtighten the steering box to try and fix it. It will wreck the box and spoil the steering feel. A degree or so of toe in is about right. Don't run Oş toe in. See Amazon cars website for settings. If you can stand the heavy steering when manoeuvering you can always try a smaller wheel. Try 15".

Last edited by Derek UK; Mar 4th, 2024 at 18:16.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote