Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

13 pin Electric Socket Fitted Facing downwards

Views : 3143

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2018, 22:54   #11
Trev864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You need to get that beam refitted , if it won't fit get the towbar off , this is a vital part of the rear end safety system and has already voided your insurance . Make the installer pay... How will anyone find out? when you get rear ended and your passengers are killed … Yes it is that serious ..
That is a boron steel beam which is the hardest steel on the car designed to absorb most of a big impact before the chassis starts deforming , the non volvo tow bar is an unknown factor as it has not been crash tested like the volvo one which has shear off points on the brackets .
You have me worried now... However the Tow Trust instructions state that it is removed and not refitted. The tow bar must have type approval to be fitted in this manner?
Trev864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 23:03   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev864 View Post
You have me worried now... However the Tow Trust instructions state that it is removed and not refitted. The tow bar must have type approval to be fitted in this manner?
Who is tow trust and who are they to modify volvos safety protection ? Volvo state in their towbar fitting instructions to refit it , As I said it is the strongest steel used in the cars construction , boron steel …

They probably think the beams strength is equalled by the tow bar , but they are not authorised to modify it ..
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:00   #13
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Just had my MY13 XC60 on the ramp at work, big square steel cross bar where the Boden bar should be, and it is bolted to where the Boden bar would be, nice blue plate on the cross bar with type approval number and safety weight info on it, i am at peace.
The Ridge Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:20   #14
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Found this on Tow-Trust's web site, scroll down to the bottom with the info the manafactures plate.

https://www.tow-trust.co.uk/faqs
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:22   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ridge Rider View Post
Just had my MY13 XC60 on the ramp at work, big square steel cross bar where the Boden bar should be, and it is bolted to where the Boden bar would be, nice blue plate on the cross bar with type approval number and safety weight info on it, i am at peace.
But the Boron beam mounting points are not the manufacturers pick up points for the tow bar . they are actually on the inner side of the main chassis members .

An EC Approved towbar will carry a plate or other durable label bearing the EC approval number plus other information including the S-Value (maximum tested noseweight) and the D-Value (the test load as calculated by EC94/20 requirements - note the D-Value is not the same as the towing capacity). The main requirements of an EC Approved towing bracket are that it is fitted to all of the towbar mounting points specified by the vehicle manufacturer, that it has undergone a rigorous testing procedure overseen by the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA), and that production towbars are subject to Conformity of Production (CoP) to ensure that production towbars are manufactured to the same standards as required by the initial test towbar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tow bar.jpg (41.6 KB, 21 views)
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 12:40   #16
Whyman
Premier Member

Always worth keeping the protective cover for the 13 pin plug handy, particularly if the socket is hard to get at.

Why? because it can be used to realign the pins and the outer case. If the do become misaligned then it is impossible to fit until you have sorted it.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:57   #17
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

This is what i have done to mine, though not much crud gets in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5. With covers.jpg (101.2 KB, 42 views)
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 17:06   #18
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

The green plastic cap stays on when not in use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Full kit.jpg (129.1 KB, 34 views)
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 23:34   #19
Billggski

https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...en-us/XC60(18-)

If you look at image 32 it shows that the bar needs to be re-fitted.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 23:42   #20
canis
Non Fragile

Can't really tell from the photo. Do you mean it's actually pointing vertically downwards? If so - that's just stupid imho. I'd get that relocated immediately. A grinder and a mig should do the trick.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: