Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

11 THINGS US VOLVO DRIVERS DO..BUT WOULD NEVER ADMIT TO

Views : 6605

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:41   #31
ivor940
Master Member

Also re someone running into the back of your 2/7/9 series, do check that the Bumper Gas Filled mounts have not activated. It may not be obvious. They need to be removed and inspected ( there is a plastic blank in the "tube" part which blows off when they activate). There will also be signs that they have compressed at the sliding part. It they are not replaced, the next impact will cause much more damage to the bodywork.

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 20:01   #32
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawmusic
Might I add one....

What about lip reading the driver behind and seeing how long it takes them to say "bl**dy Volvo drivers" especially whilst you are obeying a 30 mph limit, before losing them in dust when you hit a dual carriageway.
LOL - I do this all the time. Superb - People just don't know what hit them when they've lost sight of me before they manage to change gear
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 20:42   #33
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

I must admit after reading "11 things us Volvo drivers do....but would never admit to" i am laughing my ass off, because apart from the "Ace of Base tribute, i do all of the above!

My favourite has to be roaring the engine on start up, (only wen someone walks past the house) because lets face it, It sounds awesome!

My 1989 760 Turbo, which can i just add is in MINT condition, often gets parked next to the knackered old fords and vauxhall's, however the only problem with doing this is the fact that you can never find an old Ford or Vauxhall. Why? Because they never last much past 10years old (shame!!).

I would also like to just note that in my village there is a guy of about 18 who has trevved up his Rover 418 or whatever it is, and noticibly takes the **** out of my 760 T. Now i have nothing to prove because, well i drive a volvo, i KNOW its much better than anything else on the road, however i couldn't resist the temptation any longer the other day and absolutely aniyalated him on the A11 from the lights at the Thickthorn roundabout. It was so funny because you could tell that he was desperately trying to show me up in front of my friends, (i was 4 up) but i just floored the throttle and cained his little Rover 400 ass, much to his disaproval! Oh the joy of owning a 760 Turbo!!!! Bloody fuel guage soon moved tho! - But "very economical for its size you understand!!" LOL

My friend has just bought an E reg Mercedes Cosworth. Its a very nice car, very fast ect, however i surprised him a few months ago when he couldn't shake me off on a little race through the back roads of Colney (Norwich City football training ground territory). By bumper was in an ears shot of his tailgate, and no matter what he did, my 760 kept up. The only time he did manage to get some distance between us was on the twisty bits!!! Unfortunately the suspension is woeful and hard cornering results in you falling into the lap of you passenger or out of ur open window!!!

Good fun tho!!

Any other 760 Turbo stories???
What is the 760 V6 like? Heard its complete tosh!! and woefully underpowered!!

Cheers - Jono

Last edited by Jonathan_angelo; Apr 5th, 2006 at 20:46.
Jonathan_angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 21:00   #34
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

Isn't it not more fun to beat a Renault 5 GT TURBO off the lights in your Volvo Turbo?? I think so!! The kind of people which drive Saab's are tweed wearing Chris Goffey types, they don't care! Renaught 5 GT Turbo drivers are hideous young "Geeza's" who hate Volvo's (except the T5) and so i think its our duty put them straight!!!

jono (1989 Volvo 760 Turbo)
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 21:43   #35
gnhuk
Balding.............

Had a muppet in his Citroen Paxo (deliberate spelling mistake) behind me on the Bedford bypass on Sunday - usual idiot in IQ reducer who thought that he could out accerate any Volvo from 70mph (ish) and failed miserably. He eventually got past (his brakes must have been very warm after that exercise) so I stayed with him until he joined the M1 at J13. He'd obviously be playing with lights as heads/fogs were on but no rear lights....

I could have made him look really silly had I been driving a T4 as a 1.8 isn't exactly the quickest S40 around.
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 21:48   #36
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

Volvo S40 1.8? And you beat him??
Maybe we should meet and i'll show you a proper Volvo!! LOL
Only joking!

jono (1989 760 TURBO)
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 17:25   #37
dave r
VOC16743

Talking OK I admit to............

I'll admit to accidently reversing into the armco barrier in a multi-story car park, getting out, inspecting it and saying (loudly) "It's alright dear we havn't damaged the barrier".

And yes, that start-up roar is truly wonderful!!

Dave. There goes another tow-ball cover...................

Last edited by dave r; Apr 6th, 2006 at 17:28.
dave r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 17:40   #38
James_N
VOC Member

I actually managed to catch a wall the other day pulling into a VERY narrow car park enterance. Thought i would make it but the front of the car hit a wall

I just got out, wiped the bit of wall off the front bumper, and carried on

Soooo glad i wasn't in my Honda else id need a new front end now.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 21:20   #39
dave r
VOC16743

Talking 11 Things Us Volvo Drivers Do..but Would Never Admit To

OK One more.............

This evening 8:30 p.m.

Just picked daughter up from work,

Waiting to enter roundabout in heavy traffic,

Chav in Clio behind can't understand why old fart in K reg Volvo won't barge his way into heavy traffic.

Chav in Clio starts revving engine and feebly toots Aldi budget air-horns.

Old fart in K reg Volvo gets fed up, engages reverse and rolls back 18ins.

Chav cacks trousers and whilst recovering, old fart in Volvo clogs it and disappears into the night.

Dave
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 23:38   #40
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

I love it!!!

Im having problems flooring it off roundabouts at the moment tho, because the roads are still "a little greasy" and i just light up the back wheels and get a bit sideways which looks so jeuvanile!

Evidentally, in reference to one of my previous articles relating to the boy racer in his Rover 400, i saw him today buffing the old heap. Now because i had been tooling along at 30mph @ 1000 rpm in my 760 Auto, i couldn't resist sliding it into "N" and revving it as i drove past. (Go on the fiscous fan!! ;-)) I caught his eye and smiled at him!! Thats what a proper car sounds like you little ****!!

I then went back to Jeremy Vine!

Jono

Last edited by Jonathan_angelo; Apr 6th, 2006 at 23:40.