Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clunk on a front wheel

Views : 185

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 18:57   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default Clunk on a front wheel

Today I noticed a clunk on the right (i believe) front wheel when reversing from a parking spot with the wheels turned all the way left.

It sounded like Clunk, clunk, clunk. It made the sound about 3 times in the space of a few meters reversing. I replicated the sound a few times. I believe this could be a bushing. I don't know which one though.

Any clues?
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 19:05   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Have you got non standard wheels or tyres fitted? Just wondering if the tyre is catching the liner? Was it that kind of noise or a metallic one?

So difficult to diagnose remotely 😆
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 19:24   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Have you got non standard wheels or tyres fitted? Just wondering if the tyre is catching the liner? Was it that kind of noise or a metallic one?

So difficult to diagnose remotely 😆
I don't. It's all original.

I remember having a similar issue on my VW, fwd, but I was abroad at the time and asked my father to bring it to a mechanic. I know it was a bushing, but not whitch one. I feel like the sound was similar, but it was a while ago.

I don't know if this info helps, but maybe it's my imagination, but I feel the car kind of moved a bit whenever it made the sound. Like the way I was reversing was putting sideways pressure on that wheel and that was provoking the noise/movement. But it might just be my imagination.

Like a loosen tie rod perhaps?
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 19:47   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

It could be a lot of things.

Post a video with someone else moving the car or record the sound when you hear it and upload it here. Its guesswork otherwise.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 19:52   #5
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Today I noticed a clunk on the right (i believe) front wheel when reversing from a parking spot with the wheels turned all the way left.

It sounded like Clunk, clunk, clunk. It made the sound about 3 times in the space of a few meters reversing. I replicated the sound a few times. I believe this could be a bushing. I don't know which one though.

Any clues?
Have you got poly spaceship bushes ? They can make parking hop worse in colder weather
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 19:58   #6
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
I don't. It's all original.

I remember having a similar issue on my VW, fwd, but I was abroad at the time and asked my father to bring it to a mechanic. I know it was a bushing, but not whitch one. I feel like the sound was similar, but it was a while ago.

I don't know if this info helps, but maybe it's my imagination, but I feel the car kind of moved a bit whenever it made the sound. Like the way I was reversing was putting sideways pressure on that wheel and that was provoking the noise/movement. But it might just be my imagination.

Like a loosen tie rod perhaps?
The 940 turns at such a tight angle making this fairly common. Ackerman angle is the technical term I think
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 19:59   #7
Forrest
VOC Member

The front wheels on these large rear wheel drive cars often skip when reversing on a tight turn. Worn control arm bushes can make it worse, as can colder weather. If it’s only that it’s probably not worth putting a lot of effort into trying to eliminate it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 20:45   #8
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Have you got poly spaceship bushes ? They can make parking hop worse in colder weather
nah, regular bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The 940 turns at such a tight angle making this fairly common. Ackerman angle is the technical term I think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The front wheels on these large rear wheel drive cars often skip when reversing on a tight turn. Worn control arm bushes can make it worse, as can colder weather. If it’s only that it’s probably not worth putting a lot of effort into trying to eliminate it.
alright. thanks. i had never noticed i think. i'll pay attention in the future to see if it keeps doing it or gets any worse.
I need to change real wheel bearings, so I will have the opportunity to inspect the car more thoroughly too at that time.