Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Tuning Chips - Questions Answered...

Views : 2619

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 20:32   #1
wingz123

Default Diesel Tuning Chips - Questions Answered...

Hi all,

I was working on this document last night that I have now pasted in here relating to my diesel tuning chips.

This way you can make your own minds up,

Thank you,

James

How does this tuning module work?
The tuning module sits on the rail pressure sensor. It feeds back a voltage to the ECU on this connection which dictates how much fuel is injected given a load and RPM of the engine. The ECU does EVERYTHING else after reading the input from the other sensors regarding unburned fuel (lambda) and manifold sensor, crank, cam, AFM etc.
The ECU dynamically adjusts the fuel delivery, timing and boost management

Unlike a remap, the module does not change parameters on the ECU such as boost targets, waste gate frequency or fuel cut thresholds etc. For that reason it’s safer, although perhaps a little less effective in producing the maximum gains from a diesel (a GOOD remap will always give you more) but a good remap can be hard and expensive to come by.

These chips are a very effective way of benefitting from strong gains safely, whilst leaving all the manufacturers safety thresholds and limits in place.
The worst you can do with this is turn it up too high and induce Limp Home Mode or Safe Mode by injecting more fuel than the engine can burn even after it makes its adjustments.
In that scenario, you just turn it down again and the ECU warning will go off its own accord once the problem is resolved (you won’t need to reset the ECU or pay for diagnostics at the dealer)

How easy is it to fit?
These tuning modules can be fitted yourself in under 10 minutes, with no special tools required. No soldering or wire cutting is also required. At most I would suggest a socket set to remove any screws which attach the plastic engine cover.
An illustrated installation guide giving clear instructions is included with each tuning module.

Will it harm my engine?
No. The module allows all of the engines safety features to remain active and in control at all times. It is not possible to damage the engine if the tuning module is installed correctly.

How soon can the improvements be felt?
Immediately... As soon as the tuning module has been installed you will notice the benefits straight away.

Can I adjust the power?
Yes, there are dials on the tuning box which are fully adjustable. Before sending out the modules, we pre-set all units so in the majority of cases its plug in and go!

How can this increase power AND save money on fuel?
The tuning module increases torque through the engine. Power is released right the way through from low to mid range. This enables the driver to change up to high gears sooner in the rev range, and use for much longer before having to change down.
Overall, the journey can be achieved using lower average revs and so therefore means less fuel burned!

1995 Volvo 850 GLT TDi (OBD2)
wingz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 20:39   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i have had these tuning boxes on volvos that i have owned, and on both occasions it would be fair to say that they are the fun factor,i have yet to find on all the manufacturers web pages a DYNO plot for these items to back up the facts that they put.
i am willing to try one of your modules free of charge off course take the car for a dyno run and see what the fgures that are claimed actually are, i will off course pay for this test my self and return the module back to you .
mike
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 10:27   #3
prionailurus
Dan

I may be tempted to offer a similar service as Mike, for one reason only...I am EXTREMELY interested to see what difference in performace and or mpg this chip makes to a car that is already mapped. My test would be "seat of the pants" rather than dyno, and pump to pump mpg calculations rather than computer display, as these are the real world numbers.

My guess - no noticeable performance but blacker exhaust and 2mpg drop, but happy to be proved wrong.

We don't use a bit of plastic where a bit of metal can go.
Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prionailurus For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 10:09   #4
TylerWatts

Question

James

Are the chips manufactured and specced to only increase performance? What if I wanted to dial down the performance? Could I adjust it both ways, or only up from standard?

Can you clarify for me (and others no doubt) how you have arrived at the specification and design of the chip please? Did you obtain the ECU parameters to determine the required adjustments and ensure you maintain them in a safe and reliable operating range for standard engines?

Please udnerstand I don't want to knock you down, I want to ensure your product is a robust genuine one, plenty cheap knock-offs on eBay that only fudge the signals to the ECU and don't maintain a balance of the overall settings and operation of the engine, and I want to strongly avoid such a scenario.

We all look forward to hearing more info about your product, so don't hold back!
TylerWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 13:39   #5
TylerWatts

Question

Any response to the questions please James?
Thanks
Tyler
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 22:32   #6
wingz123

Exclamation Re - Sorry for the delayed response...

Tylerwatts...please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to the question above...Completely missed this one...

Ok so yes you can only tune/increase the performance. The standard ECU parameters would be seen as a baseline/starting point from which you would use the tuning box to then tune up/find the optimum setup using the dials.

I did have another fellow member testing this for me whereby I would send a tuning module, he would then plug into his car and test using the suggested setup back on the first page of this thread... (I think it was the first page...may have been the second) He was then going to take it on the dyno and paste up a printout of the results displaying the various increases etc.

Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, he has no longer been able to offer his services in this valuable experiment so therefore will (if anyone is interested and able to offer the same (dyno a diesel engined car with this tuning module in place) then pm me)...

I'm keen to prove sceptics wrong with this...if no interest then once I've managed to source a new turbo for my V40 1.9D (really struggling to find one for a resonable price) then I'll dyno my own car and paste up the results...

To continue with your second question....the 'suggested' setup that I wrote about earlier on in this thread is only suggested and may not be the optimum setup for your car/vehicle. There are obviously so so many different makes and models of car that each one differs and again those that I suggested are general in enhancing the performance. You will have to find the optimum setup for your vehicle. I can advise though...

Hope that helps and goes someway to answering your questions,

Do let me know if you have anymore,

thanks,

James

1995 Volvo 850 GLT TDi (OBD2)
wingz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 08:06   #7
TylerWatts

Question

Hi James

Thanks for the reply, are you able to answer my second question please? How was it decided how the signal is altered by your device please? And physically how does it operate? I don't wish to replicate it or steal ideas, only be certain it operates safely on my vehicle. I know the ECU will go ionto safe mode if excessivly corrected but I still wish to know how and how far it is being corrected.

Thanks
Tyler