Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 28833

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:16   #31
PEGE63
Master Member

I bet loose screen, press on it from the inside to check, in my case I could see it, look from the side at a low angle, I could clearly see a difference. Water you can hear is possibly caught in front bulk head, same as my problem. Volvo will undo wheel arch liners and drill holes. The latter subject has been covered before in this forum. I ended up paying just over 200 for screen n drain holes.

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 13:35   #32
pandhandj

Gents, my first post on this forum, hopefully i can add to this topic...

I got myslef a 2010 V70 a couple of weeks ago. I noticed a drip from the interior mirror on Monday evening. The car had been parked nose down all day (not at home however) - the rain was persistant but not heavy. Only a few drips inside but not a great way to start with my new car! There has been plenty of rain since i got it and it is normally parked nose down at home.

Anyhoo, I'll see if i can squish the windscreen in the corners this evening and i'll check to see if the carpets are wet,

best regards,

paul
pandhandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:23   #33
tt82
Forum Support Team

After reviewing some of my Dashcam footage, there is a definate sloshing sound picked up on it. Does anybody know where in the bulkhead the water is trapped and where to drill the holes?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:17   #34
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi tt82 . We had this problem on my sons v70 . There was a fix on here I believe showing where to drill but cant find it now . Unfortunately my son traded his car before we did the fix so I cant be sure where to drill. I can definitely remember that the plastic wheel arch cover is removed and a hole is then drilled into the bulkhead . This had to be dried and treated with rust preventer . If you have water in there perhaps you will be able to hear it if you jacked the car from one side and find where to drill . There is one old post that showed the cure but the pic has been deleted . Good luck ,if you find out where to drill please post a pic as it will help lots of frustrated owners .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 19:07   #35
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Hello again, I have been away from here for a bit, but I have something to add to this.

Mine started leaking at the start of May. Exactly the same as others, it poured through the interior light (maybe 100ml worth). It was parked nose down in the rain and then when I came level off the drive it poured out. The passenger side carpet was also wet.

I sent it in to a Volvo dealer for remedy and it was fixed as a chargeable fix to the lease company. They said that the screen sealing had failed and they removed, cleaned and refitted the screen.

Now the interesting bit. It was a replacement screen. In fact the car has had 2 replacement screens, both genuine Volvo fitted by a Volvo dealer (a different one to the one which remedied the leak). Naturally I was full of vitriol against the Volvo dealer which fitted the screen which went on to fail, but it would appear that something else is at play here.

So it would appear that factory fitted screens are failing, as are replacement ones. This suggests it is not a manufacturing fault but perhaps a design issue.

Discuss....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 21:51   #36
wilbydoughboy

When I noticed my screen leaking it was so minute I thought it was simply condensation, I only found out how much water had collected in the footwell was when the carpet was wringing wet. I believe that my screen had probably been leaking for a good while before I noticed it and there are maybe other owners who are unaware that they may have a leaking screen. I was concerned as regards the safety aspect of a leaking screen and asked the dealer if there had been a recall. The modern method of bonding the screen without a rubber holding strip means the bonding sealant used must be very reliable and able to cope with all types of weather and temperatures. I think that the bonding sealant may not be able to flex enough resulting in the bond breaking at the weakest point, along the top. I have never had any screen leaks on any of my previous cars and vans over the past 37 years. When the screens are fitted, I assume in a controlled environment I would have expected them to stay bonded for the lifetime of the car.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 03:48   #37
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Just a comment and observation here. The mention of a possible"design fault" brings other considerations to mind.

The screens on modern cars are structural and provide some of the structural strength and integrity of the vehicle. That the bonded seal is breaking, leading to the leaking, means the screen or body are not in quite the correct position to each other. This is, in turn, leading to stress acting on the bond.

So maybe Volvo havre a large quantity of screens that have been incorrectly designed or manufactured? An inaccurate screen build could be the cause of the problem? Given that this is happening to many cars and regularly, maybe this should be pointed out to Volvo for them to be forced into correcting the issue.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 10:52   #38
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Just a comment and observation here. The mention of a possible"design fault" brings other considerations to mind.

The screens on modern cars are structural and provide some of the structural strength and integrity of the vehicle. That the bonded seal is breaking, leading to the leaking, means the screen or body are not in quite the correct position to each other. This is, in turn, leading to stress acting on the bond.

So maybe Volvo havre a large quantity of screens that have been incorrectly designed or manufactured? An inaccurate screen build could be the cause of the problem? Given that this is happening to many cars and regularly, maybe this should be pointed out to Volvo for them to be forced into correcting the issue.

Des. . .
Having just gone through the process of having my windscreen removed and replaced because it was leaking I would say "Yes" and "No" to the part of your post that has been highlighted.

Yes - The windscreen is an integral part of the vehicle's structural strength but the Manager from National Windscreens who removed and replaced my windscreen said that, in his opinion, the claimed structural strength it gave the car was far less than the quoted 30% on literature produced by certain well know windscreen replacement companies. See here: http://www.autoglassnews.co.uk/index...bout-autoglass

No - Just because the bonding fails it is not necessarily the that fact that "the screen or body are not in quite the correct position to each other", the bonding should be thick enough, strong enough and flexible enough to take into account any inaccuracies during manufacture. IMO the bonding is not up to the job it was designed for and, in my case, the body of my car goes through a twisting movement every time I drive in or out of my driveway because the road I live on has not been made up and the kerb has a short but high 6" ramp on it.

Another factor pointed out by the National Windscreens Manager and by "wilbydoughboy" was the fact that Volvo no longer include the thin rubber trim (holding strip) at the top of the windscreen to prevent water gathering there and now depend wholly on the bonding which I believe is put on by hand and will only be as good as the person with the "goo" gun in his hand.

If you look further back in these posts you will see I did a quick survey of the failures noted on this Forum and the majority reported occurred on vehicles manufactured around 2008 - 2009. There are a few from later years but, depending on the number of failures, I would imagine Volvo are keeping this close to their chest to avoid a massive recall.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 16:43   #39
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post

Another factor pointed out by the National Windscreens Manager and by "wilbydoughboy" was the fact that Volvo no longer include the thin rubber trim (holding strip) at the top of the windscreen to prevent water gathering there and now depend wholly on the bonding which I believe is put on by hand and will only be as good as the person with the "goo" gun in his hand.
Mine is a 13 reg and definitely has a thin rubber strip along the top edge between the roof and the screen. Has yours not?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 18:12   #40
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Mine is a 13 reg and definitely has a thin rubber strip along the top edge between the roof and the screen. Has yours not?
It has now!! It was put in by National Windscreens when they removed and replaced the windscreen. Before that the black bonding material could be seen between 3mm and 4mm below the edge of the screen and the roof, an ideal place for rain, snow and ice to gather. Now that your 13 reg car has the thin rubber strip then perhaps Volvo has recognised the design fault of just depending on the bonding material to provide the seal.