Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre puncture repair or replace on winter tyre

Views : 2409

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Repair or Replace
Repair 18 100.00%
Replace 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 18:57   #21
scbamber

I am still astonished by the apparent size difference in the OP's pic between his punctured wheel and the space saver. The XC40 spare's size should be 125/80/R18... And the OP has said that it is that size, exactly the same size as in the link I posted a couple of days ago. However his looks like a small smooth disc, and not a steel wheel with vent holes like the majority of skinny spares, and like the ones that Volvo sell.

The TMS Volvo dealers also list a spare for a standard V40 115/90/R16, which is smaller.

Behind my doubt is a memory of a puncture in the middle of nowhere in a 6 month old Lancia Fulvia Berlin's in the 1970s. I jacked it up, took the wheel off, and offered the full size spare on to the hub...only to find it would not fit as the central hole was a good inch smaller in diameter than the punctured wheel. Eventually the dealer came out 20+ miles, and gasped in astonishment having disbelieved me on the phone. Some hours later at the dealership he confirmed that my spare was indeed off a Fulvia but a different model of Fulvia...

Could the OP's spare be off a V40
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 20:36   #22
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post
I am still astonished by the apparent size difference in the OP's pic between his punctured wheel and the space saver. The XC40 spare's size should be 125/80/R18... And the OP has said that it is that size, exactly the same size as in the link I posted a couple of days ago. However his looks like a small smooth disc, and not a steel wheel with vent holes like the majority of skinny spares, and like the ones that Volvo sell.

The TMS Volvo dealers also list a spare for a standard V40 115/90/R16, which is smaller.

Behind my doubt is a memory of a puncture in the middle of nowhere in a 6 month old Lancia Fulvia Berlin's in the 1970s. I jacked it up, took the wheel off, and offered the full size spare on to the hub...only to find it would not fit as the central hole was a good inch smaller in diameter than the punctured wheel. Eventually the dealer came out 20+ miles, and gasped in astonishment having disbelieved me on the phone. Some hours later at the dealership he confirmed that my spare was indeed off a Fulvia but a different model of Fulvia...

Interesting story. My XC90 is a 2012 model hence first gen. I know my spare is the correct size as the wheel locates snugly into the wheel well underneath the car.

I have twice had to use the spare and it is just as small as that.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 13:20   #23
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post

It wouldn't fit over the brakes if it was for the V40, I can't fit smaller than 18inch rims to the XC40 R Design due to the size of the brakes. Some of the Momentum models allow 17inch rims. Thats my understanding anyway.
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 13:36   #24
anotherv60
Master Member

So it’s happened again to the same tyre, this means the tyre now is on its second puncture - anyone had the same tyre repaired twice? Tread wise will +8mm…
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 15:25   #25
TeamG
Master Member

I had 3 holes in one tyre on my V70, all fixed at the same time (3 screws). The tyre was on the front and lasted until it was worn to the limit and replaced.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 20:37   #26
anotherv60
Master Member

So I’ve phoned a few tyre places this evening. The new puncture is almost 1/4 around the circumference I’d say at 80 degrees.

I’ve been told - can’t repair if less than 120 degrees
No it’s fine don’t worry about it - it doesn’t matter where the puncture is relative to the first one.
So long as it’s more than 90 degrees away….

So who is right and does anyone know where this information comes from? Tyre manufacture? Or elsewhere??
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 21:06   #27
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/upl...-van-tyres.pdf

...is a summary of the applicable regs
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 04:08   #28
GSS

I agree with scbamber about your spare. Surely that cannot be a genuine Volvo wheel for your car. My own "skinny" spare on my V70 is just that; - the same diameter, but slimmer to fit in the spare wheel well and allow the boot tray to sit on top. The difference in the diameter of your regular wheels and that spare is not only ridiculous, but, (I would have thought), downright dangerous.
GSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 07:43   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS View Post
I agree with scbamber about your spare. Surely that cannot be a genuine Volvo wheel for your car. My own "skinny" spare on my V70 is just that; - the same diameter, but slimmer to fit in the spare wheel well and allow the boot tray to sit on top. The difference in the diameter of your regular wheels and that spare is not only ridiculous, but, (I would have thought), downright dangerous.
The space saver spares are often smaller in diameter than the original which they replace, especially so on the bigger cars with 19, 20 and bigger wheels. They’re only dangerous if not treated as a “temporary” get you home solution.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puncture repair, space saver wheels