Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 GLE injection prob (I know this is the wr

Views : 1345

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 17:15   #1
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default 360 GLE injection prob (I know this is the wr

but I think they have similar engines don't they B200E and there might be an expert who might be able to help me out here.

Its a difficult problem to describe, but basically the engine seems to be holding on to its revs too long, or longer than any other car I've driven.

I got it about a month ago with duff electric windows, sunroof, etc etc etc. Basically got everything working apart from the gearchange which is lying over to the right, so that 5 is very difficult to engage without really bending the plastic shroud, I've replaced all the linkages and the bracket at the front as well. Any ideas on that would be appreciated. I do know that some muppet replaced the diff and g/box about three years ago. Could it be the wrong box in the car? Also there is a slight bump-bump-bump noise at around 30 mph goes above this and below it. Related to road speed and not to gear.

Anyway I digress. My main problem is that the engine seems to be holding onto its revs too long. I had to replace the injectors and clean all the gunk out of the AMM, TP etc etc. to make the car come anywhere near the correct CO content. Now tickover is perfect. Anyway, the engine holds onto its revs for a long time and makes gear changing difficult as you've got to wait for the revs to come down again to engage gear smoothly. I think I've adjusted the TP to the correct spec, but is there a better way to check the adjustment rather than ramming a feeler gauge up the gap and seeing if it binds or not. FYI if I put the black adjuster all the way in I get about 650 RPM and the throttle butterfly switch has been confirmed as working correctly.

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Andy

pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:47   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: 360 GLE injection prob (I know this is th

If it is like my B200 (240 Torslanda 1993) then I know this feature well.
The problem is a sticking idle control valve. This is an alloy canister about the size of a Brasso tin, mounted under the inlet manifold. It has an electric solenoid inside which is meant to dither about regulating the idle speed. It easily gets a bit sticky with fine black air intake gunge. Remove, wash in petrol, dry, refit. It works a treat with mine, and I make it a regular job at oil changes.
A slightly similar thing happens if the crankcase vent system gets similarly clogged, especially the fine brass orifice screwed into the inlet manifold, and the flame trap.

May be totally different on your car, but the symptoms you describe are identical.
Hope this helps,

best wishes, Cliff
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:50   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I meant to add that the idle control valve bypasses the manual idle adjustment. So you can set the idling spot on with the adjuster, but even if the throttle closes smoothly the idle valve can be sticky to close from high revs.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:36   #4
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Thanks for the suggestion, but the injection system is a bit different I think, 'cos it goes for the auxiliary air valve arrangement. You have given me food for thought though. I wonder if the throttle spring is too weak.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote