Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A pillar trim removal on 940 est

Views : 2283

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2014, 20:51   #1
nutco
Getting on a bit

Default A pillar trim removal on 940 est

Hi,
Has anyone removed the A pillar trim from the drivers side on a 98 940 est, what clips are there to look out for, any other tricks to watch out for
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 11:58   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Did this but forgot to take any photos.

The main areas to be cautious are the ends.
The top where you connect to the next piece of trim, the connection is fragile at best.
The bottom where the air vent rubber is positioned. This is very very delicate and liable to snap so care and caution (and some warmth) should be applied.

The rest is a matter of gently prising the trim from it's position. I can't remember off hand whether there are metal spring clips to hold it in position though.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 20:36   #3
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Did this but forgot to take any photos.

The main areas to be cautious are the ends.
The top where you connect to the next piece of trim, the connection is fragile at best.
The bottom where the air vent rubber is positioned. This is very very delicate and liable to snap so care and caution (and some warmth) should be applied.

The rest is a matter of gently prising the trim from it's position. I can't remember off hand whether there are metal spring clips to hold it in position though.

Des. . .
Agree .......... guess it's the same as a 745 ... just take it VERY VERY easy and release/free the top door trim connection to the A pillar trim first to allow some movement/bending possibility .. the top hidden inner sliding retainer is more or less bound to snap due to age, but they are of a pretty standard type.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2018, 14:32   #4
Delta66

Had to remove the A pillar trim to fit a dash cam cable. Took some photos;

Remove the grab handle. The insert is soft plastic and easily prises out;

The screws are torx T25. Pull it back enough to reveal the top of the A pillar trim. Then remove the smaller T25 screw and washer here. There is also a small overlap of plastic, make sure that comes away.

Next, as suggested elsewhere, prise the trim off using a wooden spatula, gentle wiggling it between the trim and the black trim edging;

Two "clicks" as the top and middle fixings came off. The bottom one just wiggled out. That revealed the A pillar;

and this on the back of the trim. The nearest fixing is the top one, the metal is the middle and the bottom is a slide on one;

I do see why there are not three metal clips, the top and bottom are plastic and I am not sure exactly how they fit together, but they do.

The bottom part of the trim is just held in place by the rubber of the vent and the stiffer black trim edging

Replacing was the opposite I started at the bottom and worked my way up. Just make sure this edge goes under the VIN plate as you slide the trim back tight into the bottom corner of the window

Once that was right in the corner, I pushed the trim back against the A pillar as tight up to the windscreen as possible and banged it with my hand. There was a big "click" and it appeared to all go into place. I have no idea how the top and bottom fixings went back into place, but they have just by banging it. The trim was totally secure even before I refitted the top screw. The next bit of trim with the grab handle slotted back into place, screws back in and the last bit of trim in the handle just pushes back in. Job done.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 22:09   #5
bob12
bob12

Excellent
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 10:15   #6
baggy798
🤍💙💗

It's best to remove the trim along the roof, remove the two grab handles and loosen the top B pillar trim screw. The sun visor gets in the way too, 8mm 1/4" socket required.

The middle and top clips are metal. The one on that 4th picture has pulled out of the trim. You just have to squeeze and slide it back on the trim.

The bottom clip is one of those fragile white plastic ones that tend to break. The two upper clips and edging are more than sufficient to hold it anyway.