Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo v40 1999 key

Views : 771

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2018, 22:52   #1
claira

Default volvo v40 1999 key

hi im really hoping someone could help me out with this. my dad has a Volvo v40 1999. it has a basic door key and separate fob to unlock/lock doors. the issue we have is the plastic cover on the key has broken and the key blade keeps coming out. being using it with tape around it but cant go on much longer with it. all we want is a basic cover to replace the one we have but im not sure what im looking for. I have seen covers but they have blank blades in them and it says you need to get blade cut. can I get a cover that the original blade will go on without having to pay out for blade cutting. can anyone lead me in the right direction. thanks.
claira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 23:14   #2
colnet

Take the old key to a key cutting shop and they will be able to cut a new key with a new plastic cover, the new plastic cover will have a slot in it for the transponder which will be in the old keys plastic cover, they will need to cut the old transponder out of the old key and put it in the slot in the new keys plastic cover, job done.
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colnet For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 14:47   #3
JerryXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnet View Post
Take the old key to a key cutting shop and they will be able to cut a new key with a new plastic cover, the new plastic cover will have a slot in it for the transponder which will be in the old keys plastic cover, they will need to cut the old transponder out of the old key and put it in the slot in the new keys plastic cover, job done.
I went to Timpsons with my key and they said they wouldn't touch it and that I'd have to go to a dealership to get a new key. Admittedly I probably should of shopped around a little, because somebody would have done what you have suggested. The dealership charged me £130 for a new key and their time to program it in (it did come with a check up of the car as well).

Recently I have bought a second S40 (because the previous owner of mine let the rust get to it and it's looking a bit tatty now) and it has the exact same problem with the key. I really don't want to spend £130 again so will try and take it around a few places to see if I can get this done.
JerryXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 15:05   #4
colnet

Don't use Timpsons use a proper key cutting shop, there are still a few left, it's definitely worth looking around for them, I paid £20 for 2 new keys which included the old chip being inserted, they both worked perfectly, I wouldn't let Timpsons mend me wellies.
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 16:48   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The timpsons that's recently gone up outside my local Tesco did my blank within seconds, although it's advisable to get the correct blank beforehand from eBay as the key blade is unique to the v/S40 range, unsure as to whether many places would stock that particular blank.
Old May 15th, 2018, 20:08   #6
magnuz
Ancient

I got one of these off ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S40...oAAOSwgQ9VuO3a

I used my old blade & transponder chip.
If using your old blade, it will need to be cut to fit in the new case, also used araldite to make the new blade more secure in the new case.
These pics give you some idea of what is involved & the chip location !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1.jpg (88.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg K2.jpg (118.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg K3.jpg (170.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg K4.jpg (204.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg K5.jpg (95.1 KB, 8 views)
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote