Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how to disable DRLs using VIDA

Views : 2429

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2018, 00:25   #11
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Does your 2012 S60 not have separate LED DRLs?

My housemate's 2012 C30 has an 'Auto' option on the headlamp control switch which puts the (extremely bright) front LED's on, but the actual headlamps stay off.

I know the older C30s/S40s etc didn't have an Auto option, the dipped beams were just permanently on.
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:13   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

I wanted to turn the DRL’s off on my V50 and the dealer said no.... Not allowed to by Volvo apparently

TT
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:46   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I wanted to turn the DRL’s off on my V50 and the dealer said no.... Not allowed to by Volvo apparently
DRLs are required by law in many many countries, and in the UK for all new cars from February 2011

And why would you want to turn them off anyway? The law said cars need them for a very very good reason - they work well in showing people a car is approaching and thus helping to reduce the accident rate by 6%.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:56   #14
NigelDay
Premier Member

The DRLs on my XC60 operate at two levels. Stationary and up to about 4mph they are at a reduced power, then above this speed they are at full power. When the headlamps are on they are at reduced power at all times.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 09:55   #15
Brianvs60

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Does your 2012 S60 not have separate LED DRLs?

My housemate's 2012 C30 has an 'Auto' option on the headlamp control switch which puts the (extremely bright) front LED's on, but the actual headlamps stay off.
Yep she does, to be fair. But when the switch is in the 0 position, the headlamps are on - I have to consciously switch to "sidelights only" to turn them off. According to the manual this setting can be altered by a dealer.

Whilst I agree that it is an additional electrical load on the car's system, as well as additional "wastage" on the lamps involved, for me having headlights on is a price that seems fair given what I consider to be the increased possibility of avoiding something unwanted.

I guess we're splitting hairs here between running with headlights on vs running with DRLs only! For reference - the studies showing DRLs effects...I'm sorry I can't get this image to embed, but I've posted on imgur an extract from an Irish document published around the time DRLs became legal here.

https://imgur.com/a/Ftc61RY

Last edited by Brianvs60; May 19th, 2018 at 09:57.
Brianvs60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 12:00   #16
1monkey600

The biggest shortcoming with this law when introduced, in my opinion, is the fact that it relates only to the front of the vehicle. How many times a day do you see someone driving around in poor visibility, or darkness, with no rear lights. The drivers see (from reflections) that front lights are on but don't realise the back ones aren't lit!
I don't know how many of the current volvos light up the back lights as well (our MY16 xc70 does) but I do remember it was back in the late 70's / early 80's that my dad bought a Volvo with full DRLs (not sure exactly when because he had 5 or 6 different models between '76 and mid 90's and, I'm not sure, but think it was either the 164 or the 245glt).
It was a totally new thing back then - when we went off on a long journey one of our games was counting how many 'helpful' people flashed us in the day to let us know we had 'forgotten' to turn our sidelights off.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 14:56   #17
Brianvs60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
The biggest shortcoming with this law when introduced, in my opinion, is the fact that it relates only to the front of the vehicle. How many times a day do you see someone driving around in poor visibility, or darkness, with no rear lights. The drivers see (from reflections) that front lights are on but don't realise the back ones aren't lit!
I don't know how many of the current volvos light up the back lights as well (our MY16 xc70 does) but I do remember it was back in the late 70's / early 80's that my dad bought a Volvo with full DRLs (not sure exactly when because he had 5 or 6 different models between '76 and mid 90's and, I'm not sure, but think it was either the 164 or the 245glt).
It was a totally new thing back then - when we went off on a long journey one of our games was counting how many 'helpful' people flashed us in the day to let us know we had 'forgotten' to turn our sidelights off.

Yep, agreed! This is another good reason for all lights on all the time, imho.
Old May 19th, 2018, 14:57   #18
Sysyphus

I don’t have a problem with DRL’s as a concept, but I find it annoying that both the sidelights and headlights remain on all the time the ignition is on, unless I set the light switch to sidelights only, which leaves them on even when I do turn the ignition off.

As driver of my vehicle, I am far better placed to determine when and if I need my headlights on than any engineer in Gothenberg a decade ago.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:29   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Just to clarify a few points...

DRL's where mandatory on all vehicles and revisions of models submitted for type approval post 2011. If you have an earlier XC60 the uses the headlights as DRL's - it is not illegal or contravening C&U regulations to turn them off.

I don't see why a Volvo dealer should refuse to turn them off in the above circumstances, Volvo have created and list as a part number a software update specifically to do this (though I do agree that this isn't a good idea unless you are fitting an alternative DRL).

On earlier implementations of the LED DRL's the front lights only came on, on later models it seems as though the rears come on now too (in daylight). I *think* this also applies to the earlier models if the software is up to date - this is what happened on my 2016 (17 MY) XC60.

Designated DRL's don't have a dipped beam and are quite bright, hence as part of their approval they must dim when dipped headlights are on. DRL's are therefore more visible in daylight than just having headlights on - especially projector headlights (i.e. Xenon).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 20th, 2018 at 09:32.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:39   #20
cbarrow

My S60 doesn't have separate DRLs. The small LEDs on the front are the parking lights (I think); it uses the headlights (bi-xenon) as DRLs....

In bright sunlight, there is a case against DRLs, since they can make a car harder to see against a bright background (aircraft conspicuity trials found the same thing - but on balance having a bright forward facing light was seen as better than without in most circumstances - same applies to DRLs).

If I had separate DRLs it wouldn't be an issue.. Will leave as is and just expect to burn through bulbs faster!
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote