Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

crossed threads?

Views : 680

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 15:59   #1
donal

Default crossed threads?

I think that I may have crossed the threads on one of the inlet manifold bolts (which I think is an M7). I started to do it up and then undid it a few times in an effort to get it to on the right thread, yet I couldnt seem to get it to thread freely. It seemed to be getting tight too soon. Anyway, eventually I tightened it up but it seemed to require a lot more torque than the others to do up. Even now there is a tiny gap btween the head of the bolt and the manifold. I am concerned that if I do it up more that it will strip.
As it stands the car runs perfectly. Maybe I should just leave it alone. The problem could be down the line if I need to do some other work on the engine at some stage and I need to undo this bolt. At that stage I guess I could try some Loctite "form a thread".
If that didnt work could I use a tap and create threads for an M8 bolt?

Any suggestions?
donal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 16:34   #2
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Talking

Hmmmm,
Difficult one, do you leave it or try and fix it?? I would whip it out and inspect the threads and then wind a thread tap of the correct size down the thread. Remember that they're only 20 Nm each so don't swing off them.

I always opt for new bolts when I do engine work, they're only pennies and they save pounds.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 16:43   #3
donal

Thanks,

The threads on the bolt are fine. It did notice a tiny fragment of aluminium when I took it out - I assume this is from the head.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 16:46   #4
jimathan

Assuming it is M7, buy a no1 tap and run it down all the way with the manifold in place. (That will help guide the tap) This should cut out any crossed threads, thus back to how it should be. If the bolt lets go when you tighten it up, you could tap out to M8 but you will have to drill the manifold 8.5mm for clearance. The proper way would be to remove the manifold and fit a helicoil. This is a permanent repair but not that cheap, as a helicoil kit consisting of oversize tap, insertion tool, drill and helicoils may cost around £20-£25.
jimathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 18:00   #5
demonicwillow
yer-tis !

Im a marine engineer and genuine Volvo Penta engines and drives are actually helicoiled from new so saves alot of problems in a few years, but I dont know about just Volvo, chances are bolt or stud holes have been helicoiled from new.

dmw

PS, If you go any slower, you'll pass yourself on the way back!!
demonicwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 18:26   #6
donal

Thanks, good suggestions.

Do you know if the bolthole in the head goes all the way through the head wall, or does it bottom out?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 18:31   #7
donal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimathan View Post
Assuming it is M7, buy a no1 tap and run it down all the way with the manifold in place. (That will help guide the tap) This should cut out any crossed threads, thus back to how it should be. If the bolt lets go when you tighten it up, you could tap out to M8 but you will have to drill the manifold 8.5mm for clearance. The proper way would be to remove the manifold and fit a helicoil. This is a permanent repair but not that cheap, as a helicoil kit consisting of oversize tap, insertion tool, drill and helicoils may cost around £20-£25.

Did you mean 7.5mm?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 18:44   #8
stuartsharp

The bolts are M8, I think.

Incidentally, I did exactly the same thing when I replaced my own breather system! The third top manifold bolt refused to go back straight no matter how many times I tried to correct it.

It still tightened securely and clamped the manifold firmly so there is no need to mess with it. Unfortunately, in my particular case, it has to come out again (when the weather's nice), as I later realized I'd connected two of the breathers the wrong way around on the separator!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:56   #9
donal

thanks stuart.

pity you have to take it off again. at least it should be a bit easier the second time around. let me know how you get on with that bolt.

the problem is, if the manifold has a vacuum leak the engine will not idle properly. perhaps it will seal without that particular bolt. then again maybe you will be able to do it up again. failing that as the other posts have indicated, you can re-tap the threads or tap to a bigger size bolt.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 22:07   #10
stuartsharp

It seals fine. I know this because it's ran fine since it went in in January

I won't be re-doing the job until some nice weather comes, since having the pipes swapped isn't so serious, it just means the oil vapours won't be trapped as effectively.

Remember that it's the gasket that provides the seal, and the bolt is clamping the manifold tightly to it, despite being crossed, so there's no problem (at least until I disturb it again ).