Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tailgate intermittent locking

Views : 1382

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2009, 19:35   #1
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Default tailgate intermittent locking

Hi all..I have not had the time to look into this little problem..Sometimes the tailgate lock activated by drivers door does not lock tailgate..and sometimes manually on the tailgate also..with a little jiggling and relocking it works..I was wondering which side of the tailgate loom operates lock..I"ve recently replaced the left hinge loom (looking from the back) but not the right hand side yet ..any thoughts..thanks hj.

Last edited by honestjoe; May 21st, 2009 at 19:38. Reason: I have to do everything twice!!
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 23:59   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

The 'lock/no lock' could be down to road dirt rather than anything electrical. Just by its very location the tailgate locking mechanism is open to attack by spray and muck every time it is wet and/or dusty. Get into the tailgate under the trim and give the locking system a good clean and then apply some oil (or WD40) to keep things lubricated.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:45   #3
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Thanks migrator..will do!..hj.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:58   #4
Peter D
Peter D

Broken wire in the hinge cable form. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:09   #5
chesters6
Master Member

sorry for hijacking the thread a bit ,why is it only the drivers door operates the central locking? can the passenger door be made to operate it as well?
could a internal switch be installed so all the doors can be locked/opened by a person inside? (handy if you leave your mrs in the car and she spots a suspicious stranger approaching) ,pushing down the drivers door button does nothing
the moving parts can get grubby in the rear lock so clean it up before delving deeper .
carefull of the clips they break easily but the halfords similar versions can be used if the round bit is trimmed to fit the hole in the door card

Last edited by chesters6; May 22nd, 2009 at 09:14.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 16:33   #6
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi chester!!...to the best of my knowledge my drivers door inside button does/should lock all the doors from the inside when pushed down.(i"ve done this once or twice unwittingly..I have had some sticking buttons on the other doors but a little servicing cured this..I have no idea why it only works on the drivers side lock only...I thought it might be the fact that my old bus is a bog standard DL?..though i"m not complaining it was the first car i"ve ever owned that had central locking and power steering!!...oh the luxury of it all!..cheers hj.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 16:37   #7
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi peter its possible one of the wires has broke...I will determine which side it is..as i mentioned above i"ve already just renewed the left side loom...so perhaps it is the right side?..cheers peter..hj.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 19:26   #8
migrator
Aye - him again

As I recall from having had to repair the central locking on a 245 some time ago there is a switch that is wrapped around the barrel of the driver's door lock. This is what completes the electrical circuit to operate the central locking. There is no such switch on the passenger door so the key there will only operate the lock for that door. It may be possible to get another 'wrap around' switch (from a breaker even) and add it to the passenger door but I am not sure of the wiring required.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 16:47   #9
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

My GL only 'central locks' on the drivers door.

Had to re-wire my tailgate loom recently as rear wash/wipe had packed up along with tailgate central-locking. Re-wired OFFSIDE loom & all working again
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 18:40   #10
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi paul!...thanks for the heads up on which side of loom for tailgate central locking..My rear wiper has never worked so maybe it might be a good opportunity to hear it creak into life..cheers paul...hj.