Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Discs, Pads Replacement - Guide

Views : 8195

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2018, 21:53   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
David : if you still have all photo please share. I'm confusing with disc dimension as seller say xc90 have 3 different diameter disc.
That's right.
Different sizes for different types of XC90: 5 or 7 seater, Sport (R-Design) or normal, different motor sizes, etc.

Tells us your MY and motor type, 5 or 7 seater, and we can look up the correct part for you.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 12:15   #12
Pejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
That's right.
Different sizes for different types of XC90: 5 or 7 seater, Sport (R-Design) or normal, different motor sizes, etc.

Tells us your MY and motor type, 5 or 7 seater, and we can look up the correct part for you.
mine is the year 2003, D5 auto 2.4d with 7 seaters. original wheel size 18". if you know 3 type size of the disc diameter and please share here.

Thanks.
Wan
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 17:43   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Here are 3 x different sized front brake discs: 16", 17" and 17.5"
And 5 different part numbers:

Brake disc 1.00 30736406
CH -633384, 16"

Brake disc kit 1.00 31423325
CH 633385-, 16"

Brake disc 1.00 31262489
CH -633384, 17"

Brake disc 1.00 31400893
CH 633385-, 17"

Brake disc 1.00 30657301
17.5" FNR
See Vehicle information

You will likely have a Chassis number (CH) less than 633384, so only 3 parts to choose from.

I recommend you measure your discs!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 00:48   #14
Pejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Here are 3 x different sized front brake discs: 16", 17" and 17.5"
And 5 different part numbers:

Brake disc 1.00 30736406
CH -633384, 16"

Brake disc kit 1.00 31423325
CH 633385-, 16"

Brake disc 1.00 31262489
CH -633384, 17"

Brake disc 1.00 31400893
CH 633385-, 17"

Brake disc 1.00 30657301
17.5" FNR
See Vehicle information

You will likely have a Chassis number (CH) less than 633384, so only 3 parts to choose from.

I recommend you measure your discs!
5 difference type? 😱

Btw, thanks for that info. I send PM to you, please check.

Regards.
Wan
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 02:08   #15
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

I'm sure all UK XC90's have 17" disks 7 seats and 4WD, and the 5 seat and 2WD versions were never sold in the UK, so unless your car is an import it should be 17".

Check with your dealer, I like a lot of others would recommend only using Volvo/ATE parts for the brakes. Your choice obviously, but some of the options that ECP, GSF and others offer for the UK are really nonsense for the versions that were offered in the UK.

Check with your dealer and VIN number for the correct parts, or carefully measure the rotors.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 13:52   #16
butterboxer

Default Measured my rotors, just to be sure

I'm in Australia, have a 7 seater 2007 D5 XC90 with 17" rims. Ebay listings were showing rotor sizes available for the XC90 of 316, 328 & 336mm. I tried measuring on the car, but was getting 330mm which left me not very confident to order replacements. So I took one off, traced a circle around it on a piece of cardboard and measure the maximum diameter: 336mm. Glad I checked because I nearly ordered some 328mm rotors.

All of which is to say, careful with your numbering here, because they don't correspond to actual rotor diameter measurements. 336mm actual diameter is 13.23"
butterboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterboxer For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 13:38   #17
G Dog

Default Bolt Size

Hello all,

When replacing the brake shoes on the back of an xc90 (2004) I managed to round the head on the bolt that retains the caliper slider.
Does anyone know the size or part number for this bolt ?

Manny Thanks.
G Dog.
G Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 14:21   #18
TruckbusUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dog View Post
Hello all,

When replacing the brake shoes on the back of an xc90 (2004) I managed to round the head on the bolt that retains the caliper slider.
Does anyone know the size or part number for this bolt ?

Manny Thanks.
G Dog.
Sorry I don't, but they are not expensive from the dealers who will have them in stock, but the most important bit is they are use once stretch bolts. So take care when purchasing.

Hope it helps, well a bit.

Ignore me, the slider is the bolt ... 7mm hex head (dbl check,) if you mean the caliper bracket mounting bolts then above is correct.

Last edited by TruckbusUK; Oct 13th, 2021 at 14:24.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 14:50   #19
LiamM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi Folks

Having replaced the rear brakes a few weeks ago, I decided to replace the fronts too. They were not too bad, but would need doing in a few months, so doing them now, meant that they did not need doing in mid-winter!

Anyway - firstly, getting the right partnumbers for genuine or aftermarket pads and discs for the front was tricky, as several conflicting numbers appeared for the VIN... and when looking at the diameters and size of pads, they did not agree!

Anyway - I was told that all UK XC90s have the same front discs and pads - I am not sure if this holds true for the 17" wheeled vehicles (mine is 18") but suspect it is.

This is further confused by the fact Volvo seem to state 16" or 17" wheel son the boxes and listings!

Anyway - these are the discs and pads...

Have a close look at the pads - the upper pad (in the picture above) has a small rectangle cut on the pad bracket - this is the bracket that you see from the front of the caliper and it locks the caliper anti-rattle spring.

It is not obvious when you look, but you need to unclip the spring from this bracket when you start the job. The bracket you see below - at the left hand side is the pad bracket - this its easy to see how to release the spring.

And..the spring when removed...

Anyway - when I first got the car, I thought it must have 2 or 4 pot calipers, given the size of the calipers - they are huge! They are however, single pot (piston), but are substancial.

The good news is that removing them follows what has become standard practice on most modern cars.

To remove the pads, you need to remove the two caliper slides. These are similar to the rear setup on this car - remove the two plastic caps (highlighted within the red ) then under them, two hex head pins - easy to remove and no threadlock so easy peasy.

Take note - unlike the rears, these pins are of differing lengths - the longer one being fitted to the upper slide.

When the caliper is removed, remove the pads - one is clipped into the caliper front, and the other clipped into the piston. When removed, ensure that you support the caliper properly, and that the rubber brake hose is not being unduly twisted or under tension.

Next - you need to remove the caliper carrier bracket. This is two bolts to the hub - shown below. These appear tight, but in reality, its just the threadlock holding them in.

Once the bracket is off, its a simple job of removing the centre 10mm bolt and removing the disc. If the disc is tight, give it a few hits from the rear to free it off. If its really stubborn, put some release oil through the wheel bolt holes aiming between the disc and hub - that usually does it.

With the disc removed...

So - put it all back together!

When refitting the disc, ensure that there is no debris between the hub surface and disc rear.

Its usually advised these days, to loosen the bleed nipple on the caliper when pushing the piston back in to save any risk or reversing the direction of any seals within the ABS or master cylinder. Your call - just get it pushed back!

Fit the pads to the caliper - both clip in.

Refit the caliper carrier, having replaced the bolts or cleaned the threadlock out of the original bolts - remember to use threadlock when fitting (if the replacements dont already come with threadlock in the threads).

Now, get the caliper back on the disc and fit the two slide pins having cleaned them up first - remember to observe the long/short fitment.

All that remains is to refit the spring - just the reverse of removal - this time clipping it into the pad bracket.

Its sensible to put some coppaslip around the hub centre where the wheel locates, as they often corrode on.

Thats it!

David
I know this is an old post, but it’s just what I’m looking for.

I’ll need disks front and rear, and then 4 sets of pads. Is there any other consumables that I’d need to avoid me having to make multiple trips?
LiamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 15:18   #20
TruckbusUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamM View Post
I know this is an old post, but it’s just what I’m looking for.

I’ll need disks front and rear, and then 4 sets of pads. Is there any other consumables that I’d need to avoid me having to make multiple trips?
Take care the caliper carrier mounting bolts are stretch bolts and will not tighten properly if reused (sure its a 60 degree tighten after hitting the torque value.) Your choice, just be aware.