Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY2008 Parrot MKi9100 install guide

Views : 26887

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 18:52   #1
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Default MY2008 Parrot MKi9100 install guide

Below a guide on how I installed a Parrot MKi9100 bluetooth/Ipod unit to a MY2008 (connected to AUX input).

I only use the Ipod and therefore is acceptable for me that the bluetooth unit only works with the radio in AUX mode.

With this unit I now have bluetooth handsfree, Ipod playback as well as a USB and 3.5mm jack for AUX input.
The parrot also allows you to stream audio over bluetooth

For the location of the display I chose to fit in it the little space below the radio display. The Parrot "bluebox" is fitted behind the radio unit.

The below pictures are a mix of Volvo guide and my own photos:

First remove the gearlever surrounds as follows:

I found it easier to remove the entire top part of the console by removing the 6 screws as indicated by the arrows

Next remove the side (carpet) panels below the centre console on each side. They are held in place by clips (see photo) and can be pulled off with a bit of force

Next remove the radio unit

To remove the front of the radio to get access to the storage tray below the radio display, remove the screws as indicated (2 on each side). Then push the clips (as indicated) inwards and release the radio front

The storage tray can be removed by removing the 2 torx25 screws. The photo shows the parrot display already in place, I have use the mountings that are supplied with the parrot kit, and cut and glued a piece of black film on each side of the parrot display, as the display is slightly smaller than the opening. I've then cut a piece of PVC to keep the display in place and used the fixing points and screws from the removed tray.

Close up view:

Interesting for people with broken dash-lights... here they are!

Next remove trim panel underneath dash at drivers side

Remove the dash side panels on each side

Remove glovebox

Remove the handle on the A pillar (passenger side) and remove the A pillar panel

Remove the interior light panel as follows

Fix the microphone to the preferred location and feed the cable over the headlining via the A-pillar to the area behind the glovebox. I fitted the microphone as in photo, I fixed it in place using the adhesive pad and a screw that goes through the panel and a pvc strip to make sure it stays in place

Drill a hole in the back of the glovebox of approx 30mm to feed the Ipod/USB connector through and secure in place using the rubber gromet

run both the microphone and Ipod cables to the area behind the radio
You can now fit the interior light, A pillar and glovebox back in place

For the constant 12v power supply I chose to run a cable direct from the fusebox (driver side). I fitted an in-cable fuse holder to make sure the entire cable is protected. Run this cable to the area behind the radio

For the switched (ignition) 12V supply and Ground I used the wiring from the 12v accessory socket

To use the radio's AUX input I soldered the line cable from the Parrot unit to a cut-off 3.5mm jack

From the centre console I removed the AUX connector which can now be hidden below the console and connected to the Parrot

The Parrot bluebox fits perfect underneath the cd changer unit and there is enough space for all the excess cabling

Photo of end result

The Parrot remote control can go anywhere (wireless). I chose to fit it by the gearlever

Hope these instructions are useful for someone
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ron_XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:13   #2
BestGear
Master Member

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up - nice solution there.

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 17:45   #3
Jarola

Thanks for the display idea, I plan to do the same with my install!
Jarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 19:27   #4
ctautos

Default parrot

well bugger me greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
ctautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 10:33   #5
silverback7

great thread....
silverback7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 03:35   #6
syko

i take it the older models donty have the aux input, like mines a 2004 so would i have to use my parrot with a fm modulator to make it work??

rich
syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 09:48   #7
Ron_XC90
Master Member

On the older model without AUX I would go for the Dension unit. More expensive but integrates nicely with the head-unit. You can get a bluetooth add-on for that.
The parrot has it's own amplifier so you could connect it behind the cars amp, but it means that for Ipod playback you use the parrot amp instead of the cars. I haven't tried it, but the parrot will have a max of a few watts power output and cars amp will be far far better.

Interesting thought about the FM modulator. It will work I guess but not too sure about sound quality
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:40   #8
marlonjd

hi can you change the colour of the dash board lights if so how
marlonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:58   #9
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Not really, all the buttons and controls have the green "embedded" in the plastic
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 03:31   #10
smith401

This is a great writeup! The one question I have is what wires did you cut on the parrot to connect to the 3.5mm input cable that connects to the factory aux-in jack?

smith401 is offline   Reply With Quote