Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution Part 2- Camera & Integration - Guide

Views : 29607

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 22:24   #1
BestGear
Master Member

Default DIY RSE Solution Part 2- Camera & Integration - Guide

Guys

You may have seen my earlier attempt at a "reasonably prices" RSE solution that is easy to install and offers the core functions...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...&highlight=rse

Anyway - taking on from that, I have now added Satnav video integration with the rear headrest monitors and also added a rear view camera.

I looked around at the various integration products, and at one point considered building my own interface to the factory satnav screen. This has been done before, and, being honest, its not difficult. Some guys have even ripped out the original screen and mounted their own replacement screen within the existing satnav screen plastic housing.

Anyway - fyi - the factory satnav screen is a PAL 50 (important that its 50 not PAL 60) device. There is NO support for NTSC. It is a RGB monitor (with non standard sync presentation) in effect - no composite video input at all. It connects directly to the DVD satnav unit under the passenger seat.

I was very lucky to find the guys at VolvoTech - http://www.volvotech.eu/ , and in particular, Bob, who is a top bloke.

Volvotech manufacture several interfaces for Volvos, and one device they have is a two composite video input switch, that plugs directly between the DVD uinit and dashboard screen - perfect! The prices seem very competitive, and certainly dont require much sucking of teeth!

I mounted the interface at the rear of the DVD unit, and run the composite cable and power to the media player in the centre console, where I added another rocker switch to the one I added to control the media player.

This then allowed me to show the media player video on the satnav screen! At last I can control the media player without going to the rear seats to see the screen, plus, the console mounted rocker lets me switch back to the satnav (and remain legal while in motion). The interference visible in the pictures just shows that when photographed - its perfect in real life.

The rear view camera was now next on the list. The Volvotech unit provides a second composite video input intended for a reverse camera, as it is paired with a 12V signal input to override the other video input and satnav display - so that when ever you select reverse the screen automatically switches to the rear camera. Again, I can manually control this if I need to (added a diode to the switching line so that manual switching does not switch the reversing lights on!) see whats behind the car while not in reverse.

The above picture shows a kids bike - which is just over 1 meter from the rear of the car. The guide lines are ideal as a reference of distance as the wide angle lens does make distances somewhat tricky to judge. I am sure with use, it will become easier. These lines are static on the screen and are not integrated to steering angle sensor like the Volvo original fit device. The camera view is also reversed (mirrored), as many rear view cameras are so the image is as you naturally expect it.

So - what camera?!?!?!

I spend a while trying to track down a suitable number plate light mounted camera. There are several sources (ebay and elsewhere) of low cost devices, and several at mid to high cost. I wanted a number plate lamp replacement as I did not want to drill any holes in the car - if I had, there were several options. The camera mounting had to have a LED number plate lamp built in, thus remaining legal.

If you do a Google, you will probably find a £25-£30 device listed for the XC90 - it however, is nothing like my rear bumper lamp so no use - I believe that this camera may be for the later vehicles only - not checked.

My own rear number plate lamp had some sort of "stuff" in it - easily cleaned out - funny thing was - both lamps were identical! As you see here, my lamp housing was totally different to the above camera in shape and mounting.

I ended up buying a few cameras until I received one that was actually PAL 50 (remember that dependency from above?!?!) Thankfully as they were all sold to me as PAL 50, all were returned, the cost being hassle.

The other consideration was that I wanted a wide angle lense - and this one has a 170 degree view - wide enough to see the bumper below and towbar.

Anyway - the camera I ended up with was intended for a Porsche Cayenne!

The Cayenne camera is very nearly the same physical size - it just needed just over 1mm removed from both (long) sides to fit the hole in the rear trim - easily done with a file, or flat belt sander as I did. You also need to make something up to hold the screw at the other side, as the Volvo lamp has a clip one side and single screw at the other - I just used a large washer on the inside, which was easy as I had the trim removed from the car to fix the sticky handle at the same time. All fastners used were stainless, so no rusty water marks after the winter!

Camera all mounted up and back on the car - looks very original and discreet.

Last thing to add really is the wiring of the rear lamp to pick up the reversing lamp signal. As there were obviously cables run from front to rear for power and video signal, adding one for the reverse signal was no hassle.

I have not covered off routing of the cables as they are a straight forward job - just prise trim off carefully and secure as you go. The only tricky bit is getting the cables through the rubber "hoses" at the top of the tailgate - you can fish them through with a cable tie or a bit of straightened coat hanger.

So thats it - another job done - and saved a heap of cash while adding two very handy accessories.

Hope that encourages some folks to have a go.

David

Last edited by BestGear; Oct 30th, 2010 at 22:44.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 11:59   #2
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

I am so glad you joined the xc90 club bestie! Thank the Lord for people like you who prepared to have a go, well done again it looks fantastic.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 14:31   #3
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Excellent job David and thanks for the guide. Waiting for you to install the subwoofer, although I might have a go in the next few weeks
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 18:50   #4
BestGear
Master Member

Thanks Guys!

The more we all contribute when we can, the better these forums get.

I think more peope would add A/V features if they were aware of the options and costs... it does not have to cost an arm and a leg.

The sub is currently WIP.... I have several options really... thinking dual 10" right now... want a race to see who gets there first (joke)!?!?!

David
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 19:33   #5
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I think it's time for a "meet" where we can show of our gadgets and do up some good ideas

In terms of the sub, do you know if the speakers in the C-pillar (near the boot lid) are filtered (high pass?). Just trying to get the picture in my head on what the best way to install will be. If they are filtered I think I'll take the speaker outputs from the amp under the seat. Need to open up the side of the boot to see what size speaker and amp will fit. Looks like the original is not more than 10"

Thanks, Ron
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 19:39   #6
BestGear
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 View Post
In terms of the sub, do you know if the speakers in the C-pillar (near the boot lid) are filtered (high pass?).
To be honest, I have not looked! but expect they are (they have to be!), I suspect it will just be a wee capacitor mounted on the back the speaker...

I am sure Rob will be along in a minute - he must have removed the rear ones during his breaking activities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 View Post
Looks like the original is not more than 10"
I think the original is only a 6.5"... hardly worth adding - he he!

David
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 22:02   #7
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post

I am sure Rob will be along in a minute - he must have removed the rear ones during his breaking activities!
David
Just to prove you right, and help inflate your ego.......

However, I have not removed the side trims yet. I have messed around in that area with other stuff, and always found ways around removing them, as they are not easy. I can confirm you don't remove the pockets and cup holders in the top.

When I get them out I will post a picture or two if no-one else beats me to it. I don't know how you find the time to do the things you do David. I am still waiting for the political party who will introduce a 4 day weekend, I will vote them in!
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 08:40   #8
D5Gill

An amazing job. I would like to do something similar, but cant find a source for a cayenne PAL camera. All the ones I come across are NTSC. Can you please direct me to where I can get one from?
Thanks
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 13:47   #9
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

Yes, not surprised the hunt for the right camera was a bit of a hassle - I found that too!

I will PM you the email address of the place I bought mine from.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 14:12   #10
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

My reg plate light looks like
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, diy, rse, screen, xc90