Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution Part 2- Camera & Integration - Guide

Views : 29495

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2010, 15:55   #11
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
My reg plate light looks like
Well..that should be good news!

Just make sure its a PAL 50(Hz) camera if you want it to work...

D
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 22:40   #12
D5Gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi

Yes, not surprised the hunt for the right camera was a bit of a hassle - I found that too!

I will PM you the email address of the place I bought mine from.

David
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your referral. I searched high and low and nearly all the cameras are PAL 60!
I have emailed the guy and am waiting to hear from him
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 22:43   #13
nyc951

Default Front and rear cameras

David,

Thank you so much for this post. We are located in the US and just purchased a pre-owned 2008 XC90 V8. I'd like to add a rear camera AND a front camera so the wife can park this beast! I'm comfortable working on cars, but I'm completely new to the XC and Volvo's in general. Here are my thoughts and questions:

Quote:
Anyway - fyi - the factory satnav screen is a PAL 50 (important that its 50 not PAL 60) device.
Are 2008 models PAL 50 as well? Just so you know, I have no idea what PAL 50 means, but I'll look for that if that's what is needed

Quote:
I was very lucky to find the guys at VolvoTech - http://www.volvotech.eu/ , and in particular, Bob, who is a top bloke.

Volvotech manufacture several interfaces for Volvos, and one device they have is a two composite video input switch, that plugs directly between the DVD uinit and dashboard screen - perfect! The prices seem very competitive, and certainly dont require much sucking of teeth!
Are detailed instructions showing the details (where they go) of each wire included? Is this the only company that makes this interface? I'd prefer to find a retailer in the USA to save on shipping costs.

Quote:
I mounted the interface at the rear of the DVD unit, and run the composite cable and power to the media player in the centre console, where I added another rocker switch to the one I added to control the media player.

This then allowed me to show the media player video on the satnav screen!
I'm assuming you are referring to the DVD unit that controls the SatNav. Where exactly is the DVD unit mounted? My car has the factory SatNav and individual DVD players in each headrest, so I don't need to run composite cables as you did, correct? I will not send the DVD player signal to the SatNav, as I'd like to save that input for the front-mounted camera.

As such, I think I would simply wire the rear camera to the Volvotech interface plug. Correct?

Quote:
Again, I can manually control this if I need to (added a diode to the switching line so that manual switching does not switch the reversing lights on!) see whats behind the car while not in reverse.
Please describe where you added the diode and what additional wires you had to run to facilitate this manual control. I think this feature is brilliant!

Quote:
Last thing to add really is the wiring of the rear lamp to pick up the reversing lamp signal. As there were obviously cables run from front to rear for power and video signal, adding one for the reverse signal was no hassle.
Did you simply tap into a wire that leads to the back-up (reversing) lamps?

Since I won't use the second input on the Volvotech interface for a DVD input, I'd like to use it for a front-mounted camera. My thought is to have a switch activate the front camera, which would then overide the SatNav. Then if the car is put in reverse, the reverse camera would overide all other signals. What do you think?

I'm thinking of wiring the front camera the same way you wired your DVD input into the SatNav. Can you please describe how you wired this particular feature? Did you use a rocker switch that basically "switches" the signal between two input sources? Details on what switch you used would be great too.

Also, how does the Volvotech interface unit know that it should show the DVD input rather than the SatNav when you hit the rocker switch? Does it have "intelligence" or are you simply bypassing the SatNav signal with the rocker switch?

Also, I have two switch "blanks" in the front console (below the climate control switches) and would like to mount the rocker switches here. Would the factory switches work for what I'm trying to do? I like the "factory" look.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to get this right the first time without ruining anything! Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

SM

Last edited by nyc951; Nov 28th, 2010 at 22:49.
nyc951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 23:33   #14
Banzai

I'm confused, did you buy this?

http://www.volvotech.eu/product_info...products_id/60

If so, does this allow a DVD in the under seat DVD player to be shown on the Sat Nav screen?
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 18:44   #15
marlonjd

hi BestGear was you able to play the sound for the dvd player back through to car stereo if so how did you do it
marlonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 10:52   #16
Banzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc951 View Post
Where exactly is the DVD unit mounted?
In a 2007 it is under the front passenger seat.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 15:18   #17
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Default tomtom

"Some guys have even ripped out the original screen and mounted their own replacement screen within the existing satnav screen plastic housing"

carrying on from that is it somehow posible to fit a tomtom into the grill of a non satnav equipped xc ? my tt 530 is very similar in size to the volvo unit , at present i mount it on the heater vent , but I'd love to " hardwire" it
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 19:40   #18
BestGear
Master Member

Sorry Guys - been really busy hence no replies.....

Will reply in order...
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 19:43   #19
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
"Some guys have even ripped out the original screen and mounted their own replacement screen within the existing satnav screen plastic housing"

carrying on from that is it somehow posible to fit a tomtom into the grill of a non satnav equipped xc ? my tt 530 is very similar in size to the volvo unit , at present i mount it on the heater vent , but I'd love to " hardwire" it
dave
Hi

I have just seen folks replace the Volvo actual lcd screen with other panels...fiting a tomtom screen could be done in an original volvo satnav screen hosuing, but the problme would probably be around the motorised life/close as this is a software command to the unit and not just applying 12v to a wire...

if you got a duff satnav screen and mounting kit, you could always leave it "up" - that could work...or figure out your own motor control for the up/down.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 19:45   #20
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlonjd View Post
hi BestGear was you able to play the sound for the dvd player back through to car stereo if so how did you do it
Hi

Yes, can replay dvd/media player sound through the headunit - or RF headphones.

I used a cheap (but surprisinglyt good) FM modulator from ebay - 12v supplied and 3.5mm stereo jack in - just like you would use for an iPod for example.

You just them tune your radio to an unused channel and away you go....

Sound is not as good as you would get with an AUX input but as that option is not always available, this is the next best thing.

See the DIY RSE Part 1 thread - there is a picture of it in there.

David

Tags
budget, diy, rse, screen, xc90