Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Split in Drivers Seat

Views : 11134

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2012, 10:10   #11
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

the seat face on many now is still leather, the sides and back are not leather sometimes (if the spec said anything about leather faced then you have leather on the bit you sit on the sides and back will more than likely then be none leather). Hard to say...but generally there is no harm in doing it all with a leather product as even some of the none leathers are sometimes a blend.

your never going to stop it from necessarily splitting at the seams if what i have read is correct but in regards to the leather itself it will be clear coated so no conditioners should be used as the leather wont absorb the conditioners minus in many circumstances make the leather grease(y) i would simply get some LTT Leather cleaner and protection or Dr Leather wipes and then use something like gtecniq L1 on it.

These will stop transfer from occurring as much - note not completely (esp. jean dye which can damage the clearcoat layer on leather quite easily and be more apparent on lighter colours). And then do maintenance cleans especially if you get either the Dr Leather wipes or LTT quick cleaning product. You really do get what you pay for in leather care so do not skimp.

Last edited by Ninja59; Nov 27th, 2012 at 10:15.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 12:15   #12
Squirrell

The seats on the active are not leather, they are a mixture of cloth and some sort of PVC imitation leather, me thinks Ninja is confusing things with full leather seats found in SE's and above?
Squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 12:24   #13
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrell View Post
The seats on the active are not leather, they are a mixture of cloth and some sort of PVC imitation leather, me thinks Ninja is confusing things with full leather seats found in SE's and above?
ah if it is cloth then go down the route of something like autosmart bio brisk or apc to get it all clean, wet vac or vax it out and then put some fabric protection /gtechniq i1 on it hopefully it will take to the pvc type.
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 13:36   #14
Squirrell

The cloth is fine, it's the PVC imitation leather bit that has split. From people's comments I can see many have experinced the same problem as I have and most have achieved a succesful warranty replacement, I'll take it to the dealer and hopefully get a result as well. What concerns me, is what happens in 25k miles time when it splits again out of warranty?
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 13:46   #15
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrell View Post
The cloth is fine, it's the PVC imitation leather bit that has split. From people's comments I can see many have experinced the same problem as I have and most have achieved a succesful warranty replacement, I'll take it to the dealer and hopefully get a result as well. What concerns me, is what happens in 25k miles time when it splits again out of warranty?
Check whether the part has improved usually if they have improved it has a new part number.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 17:03   #16
irishcarfan
Master Member

Given the issues with the t-tec stuff in other models, Volvo really needs to get their act together on this one. Splitting seats after a year or two is not on.

We have a 1998 940 still floating around with 140,000 miles on. No rips or tears - some of the chairs still look brand new. My 99 S40 has one tear on the vinyl part caused by a previous owner. Other than that, the seats are wearing very well. It's very annoying that something Volvo used to be so good at has because such an issue.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 22:35   #17
judgeman

Ninja 59 - No, didn't buy the car with the fault and then complained! Bought the car in apparently good order from a main dealer, then lots of issues arose in the subsequent 18 months from purchase.

Having not owned an XC90 before hand, and not seeing so many issues on forum I was not s informed as I am now I have been, and am an owner.
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 20:59   #18
Rally555ron

I have a 10 Plate XC90 that has developed the same issue in the last 4 weeks. I will now have to go into the dealer and see what they same but seems to be splitting in a crease in the fabric which is not good.
Rally555ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 21:21   #19
Squirrell

To finish my seat story, XC90 went in to dealer for last of the 'free' services and it's first MOT (that Volvo did for £5) as it's nearly 3 years old and going out of warranty. Mentioned the split drivers seat and they contacted Volvo who have agreed to replace the seat base for nothing - result!

So all done and it cost me £5 for the MOT - well pleased.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 16:59   #20
CapitalJambo

Mine was out of warranty last Sept :/

****ed off but as said before,s till love the car, was having a look at ones for sale today and look at the pics :

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars...ef/arneh-9158/

exact same issues.

Mine is currently sporting some natty black upholstery tape over the split!
CapitalJambo is offline   Reply With Quote