Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nightmare with radio in our XC90

Views : 70129

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 15:01   #1
TildaH

Unhappy Nightmare with radio in our XC90

Hi

I'd be grateful for any help/advice. We've a four year old XC90 and the radio has broken. It is the central control panel that appears to be the problem (I think it is called the ICM) and is going to cost around a grand to fix (AHHHH) if we go through the Volvo dealership in our area because they won't try and repair it but insist it has to be replaced with a new one. Does anyone know if I could try and get a reconditioned one or any other suggestions? It is such a large sum of money to pay...

Tilda
TildaH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TildaH For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 15:55   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

what exactly is wrong with the ICM ? ( thats the display panel and main control unit for the audio system) if the display is physicaly broken you might get a second hand one and just swap the display itself , but you must keep the main board which came with your car ..
Dealers cant repair things these days because if it fails again they will be liable for the whole cost of a new unit having repaired it . These things are not easily repairable anyway they are microcomputers these days .
why is it costing so much to fix , how much is the ICM Itself ? an hour of labour will fit a new one inc software
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 19:16   #3
GSMGuy
Master Member

I had the ICM replaced on mine last year (Premium Dolby System) after 2 failed misdiagnosed attempts at "wiring faults"

Symtoms were, It either wouldn't come on, or would come on and then go off, before deciding to please itself....

Cost was just over £1800, met by supplying dealer - Unit itself was approx £800, rest was labour "software" adnd VAT - Touching wood, all been fine since - BTW the ICM is the central part of the console, basically the switches, display and small control unit - It does not include the CD player, amps or tuner!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 22:05   #4
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Not sure if this one fits your car (and what's involved installing it), but there is one for sale on Ebay at the moment, search on XC90 and you'll find it
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 22:23   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

It wont be of any use to any car but the car it came off due to the security systems in place . However you MAY be able to use the display itself after removing it from inside it's ICM as the display isnt coded to the car of course , That's if the icm display is the problem ..
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 09:53   #6
TildaH

Unhappy Nightmare with radio continued..

Thanks for the responses. In reply to Clan, it is the central bit not the display as I understand it, but I'm now going to double check. I am coming to terms with the fact that there is no way round this as installing a system from another car will not work because of the Volvo security system. It is just such a blow, especially on top of all the other running costs. I am going off this car! It is just too expensive to run.

Tilda
TildaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 18:55   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

the ICM IS the display and internals which go with it , it is the Infotaiment Control Module , if you can describe the sympoms and have the codes to hand it would be a help in working out whats happening or not as the case may be ..
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 13:45   #8
xc90 radio problem
xc90 radio problem

Default radio problem

hi all i have a 2004 xc90 and have radio problems the head unit will not turn on the parking sensors will not work i am having problem trying to sort out this problem can any one out there help is there any such loom adaptors to fit a after market system help would be great thanks Jimbo
xc90 radio problem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xc90 radio problem For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 14:31   #9
Tiggerii

You might want to talk to these guys http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...edProduct=1233

Haven't used them personally but they have been mentioned before on the forum.
2010 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (MY11) Black - SOLD
Tiggerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 20:18   #10
paddy dougan

I am coming to terms with the fact that there is no way round this as installing a system from another car will not work because of the Volvo security system. Tilda[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true,
ask your dealer to download software to eliminate the (audio) most security system.
You can then fit a second hand unit and they my need to download more software.
It CAN be done, and should not cost anywhere near the price of a new unit.
Cheers paddy
paddy dougan is offline   Reply With Quote