Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45152

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 23:16   #1
GSMGuy
Master Member

Default XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

I'm convinced that the lengthy delay between depressing the accelerator, and the car actually moving is a DANGER in my XC90..

There have been numerous threads about this in the forum, but I think it's time to raise the issue with Volvo, and the more people who find it a problem, the better.

So, if you drive an XC90 Geartronic D5 and think the delay when pulling away is an issue, please post here so I can gauge numbers...

Please don't post that you don't find it a problem or that yours doesn't do it, as I'd like to keep the thread to the point.

Would be grateful if a mod could sticky this too...

Thanks

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:27   #2
JimBob

We have this problem with our 2007 D5 Geartronic and have reported to the dealer who replied firstly that 'wel'll update the software' and when that didn't work 'they're all like that'

My wife an I both believe its a real safety issue which needs addressing having both had 'heart in mouth' moments. Once you adjust your driving style to 'anticipate' and compensate for the issue you are creating another potential hazard.

PM me if you need any additional info as I would like to help send this message to Volvo and hope others will add to this thread.

EDIT: A quick google finds this in the Autoexpress test drive :

The diesel has a fifth ratio in the Geartronic auto box, although it struggles to put this to the best use. Even with 340Nm of torque, the D5 feels underpowered. Expected to average 30.7mpg, it loses composure at high revs and is sluggish, completing the 0-60mph sprint in 12 seconds. Worse still, there's a long delay when pulling away from a standstill.

They know.............do they care?

JimBob

Last edited by JimBob; Jan 5th, 2009 at 08:32. Reason: added info from t'internet
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimBob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 13:07   #3
languageservicesco

It wasn't such a big issue for me having previously had a MB E300 auto that did the same, but I still think it is dangerous. In particular, it is the seemingly arbitrary nature of the takeoff. Sometimes it goes relatively quickly, sometimes not, sometimes with foot to floor, sometimes with progressive pressure.
Kevin
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to languageservicesco For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 14:07   #4
JOHN 850

I thought this issue was the fact is goes into neutral if stood still in drive for more than so many seconds, but the main stealer can delete this option in the software if you so desired which should making moving off easier. However even with my manual D5 you still have some degree of turbo lag to content with when moving off .......

John.

Previous : V90 RD, 360GLEi, V70TDI, V70 2.5D, 965, C70 T5 x3, 340 x2, 360GLT x4, P1800ES x3, 240 x3, 940 x2, S70 x3, 850 x3, S80, 480 x2, 120 x2, XC90 x2, V70 D5 x3
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 14:45   #5
GSMGuy
Master Member

No it's not that it goes into N that is the prob, and turbo lag wouldn't cause the delay in moving off...

Can we please keep this thread as requested, ie not a discussion of the if's and why's, there are many other threads doing/having done that.. I really just want to know who has it and considers it a problem, or even dangerous, as I now do...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 15:01   #6
jtaw45

Yes i also find it a problem in my 04 d5, i try to adapt my driving style but find it's behaviour isn't consistant so that makes that practise very hit and miss.The fact when the delays over that it takes off like a rocket doesn't help either.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtaw45 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 15:51   #7
AB-UK
Premier Member

GSM,
In November 2004 I wrote to Volvo's HQ Customer Services, and part of the letter is reproduced below:-

"Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the 1 to 2 second lag or delay from pressing the accelerator to when the car starts moving - especially when trying to exit from a side road into a stream of traffic - especially fast moving traffic."

"This delay is dangerous."

"This being the case, and I believe this delay or lag is not unknown in these vehicles, does Volvo have a strategy to improve this in current vehicles?"

"You should therefore regard this letter as
1. exhibiting dissatisfaction with the underpowered engine this model has been given;
2. a complaint regarding the delay or lag which geartronic users such as myself experience; and
3. a request to know what and when Volvo are going to do about it."

I have been trying to find the reply I received, but I can't put my hands on it at the moment.

However, I remember it was clear from the reply I received that my questions had been ignored, and that Volvo considered the car (163bhp '53 D5 Geartronic) was operating as expected.

I even asked them if RICA tuning would solve the problem - but this was not answered.

Good luck with the quest - a class-action suit, such as occurred to Ford previously over the "Pinto" matter, is not likely to achieve any results until a few deaths have been conclusively attributed to this "delay".
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 20:24   #8
30yearvolvoman

Yes, my 55 D5 does it and I have had it to Volvo on many occaissons, I have posted on the forum about my experience with Volvo and their lack of interest.
30yearvolvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 30yearvolvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 23:56   #9
lakbir

Default xc 90 hesistation in pulling away

I do agree and have also encountered this problem, also note, close to taking dealer to court with other problems on my XC90
lakbir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakbir For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 16:38   #10
stevieb_xc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaw45 View Post
Yes i also find it a problem in my 04 d5, i try to adapt my driving style but find it's behaviour isn't consistant so that makes that practise very hit and miss.The fact when the delays over that it takes off like a rocket doesn't help either.
I have the same problem on my 53 plate XC90. It does go after a 1-2 second pause but not like a rocket!

But i am resigning to the fact it is a design fault with the torque transfer box and not the software.. As the It only happens when you are below 1600 RPM.. you need the transfer box to lockup and transfer the power to drive the car rather than just spinning the power away in the working of the box.

Last edited by stevieb_xc90; Jan 7th, 2009 at 16:42.
stevieb_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote