Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45161

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 14:05   #21
vexed

Recently had my 03 updated with dealer downloads, which has appeared to help.

The only safe way of pulling out of a junction is to select 1st in the manual mode.
vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 14:26   #22
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexed View Post
Recently had my 03 updated with dealer downloads, which has appeared to help.

The only safe way of pulling out of a junction is to select 1st in the manual mode.
Selecting manual 1st makes no difference whatsoever to the takeoff...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 23:38   #23
AB-UK
Premier Member

I've tried it too - doesn't affect the initial delay.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 16:21   #24
redarmy

hi i have recently purchased my first ever volvo with the model being xc90 se d5 automatic and absolutely love it that is until this week when a message popped up on dash saying engine system service required was not concerned rang dealers and booked it in for monday morning, now the acceleration is all shot and am pulling in excess of 3500 rpm,s before it changes up and am getting more and more worried by this.
redarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 18:05   #25
Blowpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
I'm convinced that the lengthy delay between depressing the accelerator, and the car actually moving is a DANGER in my XC90..

There have been numerous threads about this in the forum, but I think it's time to raise the issue with Volvo, and the more people who find it a problem, the better.

So, if you drive an XC90 Geartronic D5 and think the delay when pulling away is an issue, please post here so I can gauge numbers...

Please don't post that you don't find it a problem or that yours doesn't do it, as I'd like to keep the thread to the point.

Would be grateful if a mod could sticky this too...

Thanks

Mike
Just to add to the numbers, show me down for also considering this a dangerous feature of the D5. I've adjusted my driving style to compensate, but one of these days a situation will suddenly develop and this won't be of any help.
Blowpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 23:44   #26
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Thats mine going back into Volvo for their 2nd attempt at it on thursday and if I here the words " the comp says there's nowt wrong" Ill just phone Volvo while im there and see what they say!! might even illicit a proper response if im standing in the service department at the time!! Will post the outcome!!
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:37   #27
dedalus

Default onother one

Mine is 2006 d5 - doing the same - does anyone else get a lot of whine - the revs climb but nothing happens? - its as if torque convertor ( I assume it has one) is faulty - this is a recent thing as I much preferred the box over my friends earlier model - now its awful
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 21:44   #28
redarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Thats mine going back into Volvo for their 2nd attempt at it on thursday and if I here the words " the comp says there's nowt wrong" Ill just phone Volvo while im there and see what they say!! might even illicit a proper response if im standing in the service department at the time!! Will post the outcome!!
hi 4wheeldriver have just got my xc90 back after a three day wait and it seems ok at the moment have asked the dealers for schedule of the work they carried out and they are going to forward it to me but apparently the slow accelaration is a safety feature built in so when there is a fault with the engine it automatically cuts power in half allegadly will post results when i recieve them.
redarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 22:07   #29
AB-UK
Premier Member

As they explained to me a few years ago when I first complained about it - this dangerous fault is considered by Volvo to be a "feature".
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 15:26   #30
Finbo

I've just purchased a 54 plate (MY 2005) XC90 D5 geartronic.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the 185bhp model and the comments on the forum about delay, etc when taking off were a concern.

I test drove 3 D5's and didn't find any hesitation/lag with any of them. The one I bought, as soon as you touch the pedal it starts to move. I must admit it's not a greyhound out of the blocks, but it doesn't feel unsafe and I'm happy with it. Compared to my petrol V70, it's better because I felt I had to push the pedal harder to get the desired response.

Whether it's me or my driving style (I tend not to push it too hard unless I have to), I don't know whether my comments just confuse things further.

Why are some cars like it and others aren't, or will mine show these characteristics in time?

Cheers,

Finbo
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finbo For This Useful Post: