Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

engine system service required

Views : 39360

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:30   #1
Beavis
Premier Member

Default engine system service required

after a fair amount of dring in the snow and ice yesterday, whilst downshifting manually in the geartronic to reduce speed on a steep ice covered hill, i had the yellow warning light come up with "engine system service required ". temperature was only -3/-4 so not as bad as some areas in the uk.

i last had the annual service done 8000 miles ago - 6 months ago so it is not for the annual service.

it is a 185 D5 model. 2006 year.

when i took it out on a clear dual carriageway last night i have noticed that power is not effected - just this warning light.

does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 11:53   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

I'm afraid you need to get the fault code read to find out what the car thinks is wrong with it, there are a lot of things which can cause that message.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 21:26   #3
Beavis
Premier Member

thank you for the reply.

i have been out under the bonnet this afternoon, and found that a clip is loose.

i have tried to match this in a haynes manual i have for a S60 and believe it to be the "swirl chamber" valve.

i have attached a couple of photos.

whilst tinkering with this, after taking the car out, the error code had disappeared. i have not yet been able to reconnect the arm on the valve as it is broken at the back so will need replacement.

please can someone check the photos to make sure i am naming it correct, and if so, i will order a replacement arm (hopefully) from the local stealer....unless they try and tell me it only comes attached to a new engine.

does anyone know if this will harm the engine if i carry on driving for a week or 2 until i can fit it?

many thanks

whole engine.jpg

close 1.jpg

close 2.jpg

close 3.jpg
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 23:05   #4
Multiplex

Correct its the link between the swirl motor and swirl throttles. The ECM will have logged DTCs for swirl system performance and mass air flow (as the engine is not seeing the expected air flow when the swirl system is attempting to operate).

You will be able to fit a replacement link however Volvo have re-designed the link/swirl throttles to prevent the failure occuring again.

After the link is replaced or the new type fitted (this requires the injectors removing & top engine cover/cam cover removing to replace) the DTCs will need erasing and ideally the Swirl motor/system re-calabrating.

Volvo also have a mod available which involves drilling the link and fitting a metal pin/clip. This is a very fiddley process ond oftern comes off!

Last edited by Multiplex; Jan 10th, 2010 at 23:07.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Multiplex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:49   #5
S60D5NI

Same problem on Sunday night for me - interesting it was also about -3 and on a 185 D5.

I had performance issues though and DIM meessage has not gone away! - see post

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...763#post621763
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 01:41   #6
csd_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post

You will be able to fit a replacement link however Volvo have re-designed the link/swirl throttles to prevent the failure occuring again.
Don't suppose you know when the redesigned links were introduced do you? Or if it was after a certain chassis/engine number?

Thanks

If your car feels like it's on rails, you're going too slow!
csd_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 16:09   #7
Lucien
VOC Member

Default Failed swirl linkage

I had a similar problem fixed on my 07 XC90 D5 last week at 35,000 miles. Amber warning light had been intermitently coming on for the last month or so, warning "engine system service required". No limp mode. Turns out it was a broken swirl chamber linkage. Volvo fitted a 'modified linkage' and cleared down the codes. Hopefully that will sort it.

Cost of the part was about £3.50, and about £80 leabour (all plus VAT).

I do get 'concerned' when I see the word 'modified' as it implies to me the previous part was known to be not up to the job.
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:42   #8
S60D5NI

See update on following posts - agree with conclusion that it may be an issue with the stepper motor overstressing the arm rather than a weakness with the arm itself.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85945
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:52   #9
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Weird ... my 53-plate S80 D5 doesn't have a swirl chamber device - no motor, no arm, no aperture in the rocker cover.

How many D5 configurations are there ?
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 23:53   #10
chf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post
Correct its the link between the swirl motor and swirl throttles. The ECM will have logged DTCs for swirl system performance and mass air flow (as the engine is not seeing the expected air flow when the swirl system is attempting to operate).

After the link is replaced or the new type fitted (this requires the injectors removing & top engine cover/cam cover removing to replace) the DTCs will need erasing and ideally the Swirl motor/system re-calabrating.

Volvo also have a mod available which involves drilling the link and fitting a metal pin/clip. This is a very fiddley process ond oftern comes off!
Had a similar issue while driving back from France. My local volvo dealer has now diagnosed that a new swirl valve actuator and link are required. The car is just over 3 year old and 44k miles and covered by a 12 month volvo used care warranty. However the dealer is telling me the warranty won't cover this repair and will cost me £310 !!!

I read my warranty T&C's and exclusions and wouild like to understand what are these replacement parts as the only exclusion is the exhaust systems and thought we are dealing with air intake problems.

Could someone clarify ?

Cheers
chf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chf For This Useful Post: